Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's with blue goggle lenses then???

Poster: A snowHead
I'm seeing more and more World Cup racers wearing blue goggle lenses in flat light condition rather than the more usual orange lenses. Anybody tried them?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
krekeg, if they're like Oakley's superb Hi Yellow lens they look blue from the outside but they're actually yellow when you look through them & give a lot more light transmission than persimmon/orange.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No these are actual blue lenses. Didier Cuche and Julia Mancuso seem to use them a lot.

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
does seem to match rather nicely with the outfit though doesn't it Razz
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Freezy, what are you doing here?

Ellistine wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Now if anybody isn't going to care about colour co-ordination it's going to be a Swiss Butcher!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Freezy, what are you doing here?

Ellistine

likewise Embarassed bit slow over there so thought I'd take a look around Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
krekeg wrote:
No these are actual blue lenses. Didier Cuche and Julia Mancuso seem to use them a lot.

I've not seen those before.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's not something you really notice but as soon as you start looking out for them you see them everywhere - well at least at the World cup races on TV.

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
seems a bit of a contradiction if you think about, the main reason for wearing goggles with yellow lenses is to block out the blue end of the colour spectrum which is usually the hazy end.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Counterintuitive if one conflates the ability to focus in bright light with eye chemical response in dim light.

Those are the POC Iris Comp. Blue transmissive lenses for low light have been around for almost a decade now, as seen on the Scott Light Amplifier and Night Amplifier lenses.

D Robrahn et al wrote:
The responses of rods and cones both contribute to vision at
intermediate and other low-level intensities of illumination. Furthermore, the
human eye response is notdirectly related to the peaks of wavelengths per se,
but rather to an integration of the spectral curve and relative ratios of intensities
of the pigments of the cones and rods. At times only two cones are essentially
effective. As light intensity falls, the human eye becomes increasingly sensitive
to light of shorter wavelengths. At low light conditions such as twilight the eye
is most sensitive to a bue-green light such as 510 nm. The HC tint for the lens
24 desirably approximates the response curves for cone photoreceptors in the
retina, but with certain modifications to enhance the use of the goggle for
certain conditions. Desirably, the goggle lens takes advantage of the shift to
shorter wavelengths in low light conditions by modifying the transmission curve of the lens so as to be more efficient in low light conditions such as by enhancing the response to blue light.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 9-01-08 23:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

seems a bit of a contradiction if you think about, the main reason for wearing goggles with yellow lenses is to block out the blue end of the colour spectrum which is usually the hazy end.

It does seem odd what with blue being the opposite of orange but used for the same conditions.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Check your assumptions: Low light (overcast, sunset) is not the same condition as brightly illuminated diffuse sky light (fog)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Low light (overcast, sunset) is not the same condition as brightly illuminated diffuse sky light (fog)

Oh I see, so;

Gray days and late afternoons = blue
Fog and snowing = Orange

Would that be right?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
krekeg wrote:

Gray days and late afternoons = blue

To make sure of maximum gain response, ie. contrast in what light there is

Quote:

Fog and snowing = Orange

Or yellow.

To reject the color coming from the most diffuse source (blue sky) and therefore most likely to be directly reflected into the eye at random angles by suspended droplets without striking the object of interest first.
ski holidays
Thanks comprex, I'll go with that. Now which colour best suits the rest of the outfit wink
latest report
So..... if I've got a red lens, what does that mean? Puzzled
latest report
Or a grey..........?

I must admit I picked out my lens colour as the colour least likely to give an overall colour tint to what I was looking at - I wanted red to look red and green to still look green. Grey seemed to fit this.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 11-01-08 20:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
the ice perv wrote:
So..... if I've got a red lens, what does that mean? :~/

Ability to focus on minute well-lit detail

Megamum wrote:

I must admit I picked out my lens colour as the colour least likely to give an overall colour tink

Exactly.
snow conditions
krekeg, am i being a cynic for suggesting that the skiers sponsor may dress them out in a never ending succession of different colours/styles of kit in an attempt to shift more product? I am? oh....

Ideally (for Oakley) we'd all have 7 different pairs of goggles - one for each ...er... type of light rolling eyes
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
Ideally (for Oakley) we'd all have 7 different pairs of goggles - one for each ...er... type of light :roll:

Pshaw! Don't you know light optimisation changes every season?
latest report
comprex, you are Mr (Phil?) Oakley and I claim my £5
snow report
red 27, heh, I wish. Cool

My crack wasn't entirely a jest, assuming a constantly improving skier.

Have you noticed yet that all of the response descriptions above assume a stationary observing platform, and that there might be a relationship between lens colour selected and the speed of the skier?

The speed would affect the position of the gaze spot, the depth of focus expected, and the amount of reliance on peripheral vision input vs. well-focused ie. stared-at input (that a truly fast skier wouldn't have time for)?
snow conditions
comprex wrote:
red 27, Have you noticed yet that all of the response descriptions above assume a stationary observing platform, and that there might be a relationship between lens colour selected and the speed of the skier?

Which would affect the position of the gaze spot, the depth of focus expected, and the amount of reliance on peripheral vision input vs. well-focused ie. stared-at input (that a truly fast skier wouldn't have time for)?

Shocked Gulp.... I think I'm in wwwwaaayyyy over my head here....

The only intelligent (ish) I can say about goggles is having just been in a day of uber-flat light the lunchtime conversation of our group involved everybody trying out each others goggles in a vain hope that one pair would have the magic ingredient that would add depth... none did of course....

So goggle criteria for joe punter must be;
1. cool brand
2. makes you look 'ard
3. can still breathe through nose
4. beer resistant
5. ridiculous colour lenses that will be the envy of your mates - I want green, and I want it now! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Also how about the fact that light conditions can vary from minute to minute as the sun moves, as clouds go across the ski, as you ski through patches of light and shade. Until you can get magic second to second reactalite lenses in goggles to cope with each light condition as you encounter it then does it really matter what colour you ski in? I suspect that at some point in any ski run it will be the right colour!!
snow report
red 27 wrote:
I want green, and I want it now! Toofy Grin

Early 1990s mirrored metallic horse fly green has always been one of my favourites. Toofy Grin

Megamum wrote:
Also how about the fact that light conditions can vary from minute to minute as the sun moves, as clouds go across the ski, as you ski through patches of light and shade. Until you can get magic second to second reactalite lenses in goggles to cope with each light condition as you encounter it then does it really matter what colour you ski in? I suspect that at some point in any ski run it will be the right colour!!

Ever seen the NASA lenses designed to show you unhealthy plants? Hawkeye

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 11-01-08 23:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Quote:

Ever seen the NASA lenses designed to show you unhealthy plants?

yes, I did read about them somewhere on the internet once.
latest report
I don't know why they do so many lenses lol. And i didn't know Ted Ligety had his own Brand! I just bought my goggles (Oakley Crowbar with the pionk shiny lense) Just cause i liked them!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27,
Quote:
I want green, and I want it now!

I have some, they make everything look green for a minute or so but when you take them off everything looks red Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Do I take it that to deal with flat (but not particulalrly poor) light, blue lenses are best? I dislike flat light intensely and usually wear my orangey goggs when it turns up. They improve matters, but not by as much as I'd like. Should I try blue?
ski holidays
Used blue last season and found them very effective on snowy days at picking out detail.
For choice I use my old motocross goggles with hologram skulls because it scares children. Can't see a thing, mind. Come to think of it, that's probably what's scaring the children.
ski holidays
richmond, probably not. Think of blue lenses as for days or nights when a) there is no blue sky and b) there is no water in droplet or crystal form floating in the air in front of your eyes. Both conditions need to be met.
snow report
richmond, please step into my online goggle-shop where I will be able to provide you with lenses for every eventuality. It's also a little known fact that the width of the elastic strap that fixes the ocular items to ones cranium also plays an integral part in improving visibilty in otherwise 'flat' light - again, come in-store and I'll be able to kit you out with ...er... 7 different 'bandwidths' to cover every degree of refraction, and at a very modest €49.99 each
snow report
red 27, so for only €349.93 I can have a pair of goggs for every occasion, 3 on each arm and one on my face. Bargain! Where do I go?
snow report
richmond, Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy