Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

your thoughts on footbeds?

Poster: A snowHead
my boots are quite comfortable, but i do feel there could be more feedback (although i've not been skiing all that long so maybe i'm just rubbish!)...

i've heard mixed opinions on custom footbeds, what do you lot reckon?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SooTyLaD, a good idea if your bootfitter says so.

Get to CEM in Bicester, he'll sort you out.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was very slow adopting footbeds. Now I am a complete convert, even have them in my hiking boots, my feet are now good for an extra ten miles , or is it ten miles altogether!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Made my feet hurt.

Would have done better to shred the large quantity of £5 notes and use those to line my boots.

About as useful as those stupid blades on your gloves supposedly for cleaning goggles
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hobbiteater, A badly cooked chicken will make your stomach hurt. Open your mind. Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They made a reasonable difference when I started using them. My foot felt more secure in the boot, more stable. For my girlfriend they made a huge difference, not just to comfort but also to performance. She now wears orthotics in her regular shoes.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
hobbiteater, A badly cooked chicken will make your stomach hurt. Open your mind. Cool

Or a badly cooked hobbit will make your stomach hurt wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I used to have Comformable ones, now I have Superfeet Full Cork courtesy of CEM, I feel the Full Cork are much more comfortable and supportive than the Comformable's, they just feel like my foot is being held in a more natural neutral position.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm only a beginner, and don't have them in mine - I tried a pair at the time of buying my boots, but felt that they did not add to the comfort of the boot - as a beginner I wanted comfortable boots. However, as I understand things I may find myself revisiting this decision when I reach the stage of needing more performance out of my boots.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
For what it's worth, I had a pair of custom footbeds made by EB before buying a pair of boots at Lockwoods; unfortunately every time I tried to ski in the boot/footbed combo I had excruitiating pain in my instep, akin to having a golf ball placed under my foot! Said footbedS seem to work well now they have been "deposted" (ie all the solidified foam removed from under the "heel" half of the footbed) although whether I am actually now getting any benefit from said "deposted" footbeds I'm not qualified to say.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i suppose footbeds are like glasses

i am short sighted so i wear glasses, if i had normal vision i wouldnt
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnnyboy, different people require differnt levels of support, for you it may be that the reduced support in your footbed is right for you, there is no absolutes when you are dealing with feet

one near certainty is that skiing by the nature of the sport is one of the few sports where most of not all people will benefit in some way from a footbed, be it for supporting a pronated foot or distributing the load over a stable high arched foot
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Really don't see the point buying boots if you're not going to get a custom footbed with them.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:
I'm only a beginner, and don't have them in mine - I tried a pair at the time of buying my boots, but felt that they did not add to the comfort of the boot - as a beginner I wanted comfortable boots. However, as I understand things I may find myself revisiting this decision when I reach the stage of needing more performance out of my boots.
This makes no sense. We all want comfortable boots regardless of our ability.

Whilst custom footbeds may appear to feel uncomfortable at first, that's only because people are used to having little or no support, they actually make one's boots more comfortable in the long run (IMHO). YMMV.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
May i point out, that while Spyderman, is now having greater success with his Superfeet cork footbeds, this should not mean Superfeet are a superior product to Conform'able. Simply that the moulding process is more difficult to get right with conform'able and can often therefore be poorly made.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I quite agree. I used Comform'able footbeds made by Precision in Val D'Isere for years and was very happy with them. They were worn out, CEM made me some Full Cork ones and I just found them better. There were issues with fitting them in my new Head boots as the Full Corks take up more room than the Comform'able one's and space was a big issue. CEM made some new Comform'able ones to try and give me a bit more room, but I still felt that for my feet, that the Superfeet Full Cork were better. The space issue was solved by grinding the base of the footbed and also the Baseboard.
The feel of each Footbed is quite different and is obviously a personal taste issue. Both products are obviously excellent, if well made. I can say though that having a direct comparison between the two, as both types were made by the same expert, I just prefer the Superfeet ones for my feet.
ski holidays
levart wrote:
Really don't see the point buying boots if you're not going to get a custom footbed with them.

Not everyone needs them. It all depends on the foot. eg: a few WC racers don't.
snow report
SooTyLaD, I was in a similar position a few years ago (comfortable boots and thinking about extra feeling through the soles) and I think you should have a go at some good ones (like CEM does), or you'll never know. I can't say I've had a tremendous benefit from them but do prefer to have them in. I've spoken to lots of decent experienced skiers who swear by them and lots who don't think they're worth any bother.
snow conditions
SooTyLaD, They work for me too. CEM, can sort you out. If I'm going away for a weekend - and taking my boots is a problem, I just take the footbeds. Makes hire boots bearable snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy