Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

beware tax on goods from usa

Poster: A snowHead
I have previously bought alot of skiing goods from the U S --transeivers/shovels/probes/jackets never been taxed.
Recently bought some arcteryx salopettes about £95 but then was stung for another £42 split tax/vat 29 and 13 for parcelforce handling.Still cheaper than the UK,but not sure will do it again.
What are your previous /recent experiences.Are customs and excise clamping down??
Beware
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I posted on a similar thread recently that I buy golf clubs etc from the USA and have to pay 17.5% vat and 6% import duty plus a fee to the carrier for collecting these taxes. I think that it applies to anything over £18 in value before the tax is applied. Sad Sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes I think they are clamping down - some months ago I ordered something "geeky" from Cafepress for a birthday present for son-in-law and got stung for tax on it. It was something like £8 on an item costing about £10! So when son wanted geek-slogan t-shirts off their site for Christmas, he didn't get them - he got instead some plain black t-shirts from BHS and a pack of DIY printer transfers for dark garments!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bought Spyder jacket and salopettes back in early October, and haven't seen any invoice since, so hoping I've got away with it...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
paid tax/handling on a transceiver and shovel a year ago - still cheaper than the uk though... Rip off Britain Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stoatsbrother, can you remember how much you paid? Bother-in-law is considering doing the same and trying to work out how much extra to factor in to the total price.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
think it came to about £40 all in (tax and handling) on top of the deal. Got a Mammut Barryvox, serious shovel with saw built into the handle (not for cabin luggage...) for about £220 including on-costs.

Might be cheaper now...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 9-01-08 22:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bought t-shirts before Xmas, no tax payable. I think the courier company are meant to collect it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The courier company do collect it I had to pay £82 on my $500 order :0 that was from sierratrading still way cheaper than the uk though !
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Had it shipped to friend in USA then groups of items posted on.... no duty Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
little tiger, way to go.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I bring a lot of stuff in from the US & I think it depends which carrier is used on our side of the pond. If final delivery is by Royal Mail/Parcelforce/UPS/DHL then you'll almost certainly have charges to pay. I request items to be sent by USPS (US Parcel Service) as most items get to me charge free.

The max gift/value limit used to be zero rated for charges used to be $35 but I think it might now be $50. Most senders won't under value the item they're sending to reduce the tax liability as it's a Federal offence if they're caught. One tip if buying a dsingle item is to have it invoiced & shipped to a business address & marked as a sample as this often comes through zero rated.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Helen LS wrote:
The courier company do collect it I had to pay £82 on my $500 order :0 that was from sierratrading still way cheaper than the uk though !

They use UPS from door to door so I think it is all done just as a matter of course as I have used Sierra Trading too. Still way cheaper than buying the goods in the UK though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PhilG wrote:
Bought Spyder jacket and salopettes back in early October, and haven't seen any invoice since, so hoping I've got away with it...

Mine was kept at the sorting office for me to collect and pay the duty - so I think you have got away with it!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Butterfly wrote:
PhilG wrote:

Mine was kept at the sorting office for me to collect and pay the duty - so I think you have got away with it!

Not necessarily - it was UPS, and as I had it delivered to work, who have an account with them, they normally invoice work after the delivery and I get it a couple of months later when the bean-counters realise it was a personal expense...
ski holidays
I got stung about 12 months ago on a North Face soft shell. Cost nearly what it did over here after the duty and UPS's thieving charges
latest report
Hi all

I have some inside knowledge of those bad men who work at parcel depots for revenue and customs putting tax on imported items. - I have even heard it rumoured some of them ski !! (going end Jan ).

If you are honest and declare the item and value on package you will probably be charged tax and vat.

However if items are declared as used / 2nd hand / low value and multiple items are packed separately then there is a good chance they will be overlooked.

Hence you must describe as accurately as possible the contents and value of your parcel to enable the government to take the right amount of money from you! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
In the past whilst buying goods from the states I have emailed retailers requesting that no invoice or paperwork is included with the goods and that they are placed in a non branded box, some of the larger companies just ignore you and send anyway, but if you are buying from a smaller outlet then they will often oblige with your request saving you customs duty and what not.
ski holidays
Paid tax on a helmet from USA, still cheaper than UK/Europe but not quite the bargain it could have been. Maybe they are just paying more attention around christmas time ?
ski holidays
Hmm, interesting - a thread on how to defraud the taxman - is there anything snowHead 's can't do? Laughing
ski holidays
Why not just go skiing in the US and bring the stuff back in your suitcase?
ski holidays
Jonny Jones, you say that, but unfortunately the USA is full of Americans Wink
ski holidays
I get loads of stuff from the states (plus many other countries). I just budget 23% extra on top to cover duty/tax before I order to ensure I'm getting a better deal.

If you can get someone to carry it back on a plane you can save the money, unless of course they declare it on entry.

As for couriers if you use the major ones (UPS, DHL etc) they will pay the duty/vat on your behalf to customs as part of the express clearing process. They will then contact you before delivery to arrange pre payment of this fee plus their admin fee before delivery will be attempted (unless of course you have an account with them, then you get billed 30 days later like I do)

If you choose USPS for the delivery agent then these will be handled by Royal mail / Parcel force in the UK. With these you stand a 50/50 (in my experience) for getting hit for fees if the item is over £18. If its marked as less than £18 (or £36 in case of a gift) then you should hav no fees although these amounts do include postage, plus customs see $1 as £1 (no exchange rate in our favour) so an item costing $10 plus $10 postage may well get hit for fees. The fees will normally be collected by the postie unless they are a high amount and then you will be asked to pay over the phone or in advance via a cheque.
snow report
i *think* that the parcel force charge is illegal............only because of another forum that i frequent involves people purchasing vw engine parts from the states........i seem to recall that when challenged on the £18 or so they charge for paying the duty on your behalf, was not requested by you??? does that make sense?

what i'm saying is, if you get hit for duty, fair enough and you have to pay it, but the PO's charges are not legal...........

AFAIK Very Happy
ski holidays
I'm sure the parcel force charge is legal. Basically if you don't want to pay it you don't have to, you can always refuse delivery.

The PO dont decide who pays, customs do. The PO just collect it on your behalf and they are entltled to add a fee on for doing so.
snow report
stedlocks,
Quote:

i *think* that the parcel force charge is illegal

Had a big fight with Fedex last year over this and lost. MHC&R apparently 'employ' them as revenue collection agents and this fee is their wage so to speak. Big bummer. I blame Golden Brown Sad Sad Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy