Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Feb 24th for 1 week - idea's?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,

just wondering if anyone had any bright idea's on the following?

Me and my mate have the above week booked off work, and are looking to go skiing! Anyway he is on a stag do in the UK Sat 23rd/Sun 24th (we live in Jersey), so we will need to fly out from Gatwick around 6pm on Sunday evening. We want good apres, and also don't want to spend ages stuck on a coach. So my initial thoughts are fly to Geneva and then maybe Meribel or Chamonix? I will have to book the flights soonish to get them cheaply, but maybe I could leave the accomodation to nearer the time to get a deal?

Any thoughts, advice, offers would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

Dave
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
School holidays and good snow so far this year may make getting a last minute deal difficult...Matt
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The transfer from GVA to Meribel is about 3hrs! You wont get a tour op doing anythng that late on a Sunday night so you'd probably be looking at car hire.

So, get the Eurostar from London St Pancras at about 17:00 on Sunday. Grab dinner in Paris and then take the Sleeper train to Moutiers.
From there, the local bus will take you to Meribel in about 30 mins and you'll arrive early enough to get the first lift on Monday snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
MEfree30, who is this school holiday time for? I guess everyone elses holidays are different to Jerseys! we're stuck with these dates, so will have to grin and bare it!

admin, i went to Meribel ages ago, and thought the transfer was only about an hour and a half! Snow train sounds good, any idea what sort of price it would be? And does it run on a Sunday?

Thanks,

Dave
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davejsy, I think it's holidays for some areas of France......so fly to Salzburg instead snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Why not try a Swiss resort, many of them are easy to get to by train from Geneva airport. I'll be in Zermatt that week.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I will be in chamonix during those date with 4 of my mates.Good apres ski and a short transfer from Geneva. If you didnt want to hire a car then alpybus do transfers which are reasonably priced but would have to check if they would operate late on a sunday night as admin said. Might struggle to get somewhere that does a Sunday to Sunday change around as well but i will probably be proved wrong by someone now ive said it. Dont know what accomodation you were thinking of but if you struggled to find a chalet then there is always the Vagabond in Chamonix.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
punts, yep am leaning towards Chamonix, although my mate has only been skiing a few times, is there enough easy terrain?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davejsy wrote:
Hi Everyone,

just wondering if anyone had any bright idea's on the following?

Me and my mate have the above week booked off work, and are looking to go skiing! Anyway he is on a stag do in the UK Sat 23rd/Sun 24th (we live in Jersey), so we will need to fly out from Gatwick around 6pm on Sunday evening. We want good apres, and also don't want to spend ages stuck on a coach. So my initial thoughts are fly to Geneva and then maybe Meribel or Chamonix? I will have to book the flights soonish to get them cheaply, but maybe I could leave the accomodation to nearer the time to get a deal?

Any thoughts, advice, offers would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave

I'm off out to our place in Tignes on Sunday 24th (Melezes - where Atomic Boot Camp too place). We do our change overs Sunday and we definately have a transfer meeting flights at Geneva around 20.30 so timing could be perfect for you? It's about a 3 hour transfer though so don't know if that'd be too long for you. Drop me a PM if you are interested - it'll be a great week, but you'd probably be wise not to leave booking till last minute as we do get booked up. Having said that school hols are over with by then so it should be a good week Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
punts wrote:
I will be in chamonix during those date with 4 of my mates.Good apres ski and a short transfer from Geneva. If you didnt want to hire a car then alpybus do transfers which are reasonably priced but would have to check if they would operate late on a sunday night as admin said. Might struggle to get somewhere that does a Sunday to Sunday change around as well but i will probably be proved wrong by someone now ive said it. Dont know what accomodation you were thinking of but if you struggled to find a chalet then there is always the Vagabond in Chamonix.

We do Sunday change overs...and transfers Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Joanne Mountainsun, thanks Jo, I will bare this in mind.

Dave
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davejsy, one of the lads that im going with has never been before and im not too worried. theres a couple of nice nursery slopes at the foot of the town and once confident and can manage cat tracks then there no bother with the rest of the area.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ok so its not exactly close to Geneva but we have decided on Zermatt. Initial plan is to get a hire car (about £130 is the best I can see), and drive down (approx 2.5 hours?). Does anyone have any advice, opinions about the drive from Geneva to Zermatt, or any other better idea's for getting there (apart from a helicopter which is a bit pricey!)

Thanks,

Dave
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If your flights fit in with train times then http://www.sbb.ch/en/index.htm for journey details (roughly 3h30) and The Swiss Transfer Ticket (about £55 return each) will get you there and back.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
anyone any idea's on accomodation in Zermatt? Plan is to wait last minute and get a deal on a chalet, but if I could find somewhere beforehand at a reasonable price it would be better. Not really fussy whether is a chalet/apartment/hotel, only thing we would want is its within easy walking distance of the village? Any comments appreciated.

thanks all
snow conditions
Regarding travel, I think FenlandSkier is right and it would be better to take the train. Zermatt is a car-free town (only electric vehicles apart from some service vehicles [e.g. sanitation]), so I don't know how close you get by car anyway. I live in Zurich and took the trip to Zermatt last year by train with no problems. From Geneva airport it's 3h47m with just one change and a train every hour.
I'm living in Switzerland 3 years now, and I have to say that the trains (and public transport in general) are really excellent and very reliable.

I stayed here last year:
> Hotel Adonis
> Luchernstrasse 31
> 3920 Zermatt
> Tel: +41 27 966 25 00
> Fax: +41 27 967 22 33
> Email: info@hotel-adonis.ch

It was fine, hotel with just breakfast.
I think we paid 55 Swiss Francs per person per night sharing 2 to a room.

And, most importantly, it's a great resort. Guys I was with were seasoned boarders and said the snow and facilities were really excellent (based on experience from France and elsewhere). Nice atmosphere in town too, good bars, etc., etc.,

You'll have a great time Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy