Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Losing ski's in powder!

Poster: A snowHead
A friend claims that this story is true - it might be. Six of them skiing in powder at Chamonix - one loses a ski. An hour of systematic seraching - quartering the area - has failed to find the ski. It's approaching the end of the day and they need to get moving down the mountain. They decide that the guy with the lost ski will ski down on one ski. One of the party skis about thirty metres to the side and has a quiet pee. As he pees the snow melts - to reveal the lost ski!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I say utter tosh. 1) Powder day. 2) Friends. 3) Six of them systematic searching. rolling eyes snowHead snowHead

wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
parlor wrote:
I say utter tosh. 1) Powder day. 2) Friends. 3) Six of them systematic searching. rolling eyes snowHead snowHead

wink
Quote:

utter tosh

Yeah - you're right. I only said that it might be true. And he likes telling the story!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Its a good story tho!! Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like I have raised the dead with this old thread.
Been looking at buying some powder tracers based on experiences over the last few years but does anyone have any advice. Thought about buying some ribbon so I can have a longer length, of the shelf products seem to only be 1.5mts.
Also planning to crank up the din setting a bit.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was always told to plant my pole where I fell, just to give some perception of the area before starting to search, but now agree that ribbon tracers are the way to go.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you have your own skis - http://www.resqski.com/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pork based tinned post Christmas snack anyone?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ansta1, can I have some of what you had😜
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
On the last dregs of a bottle of chivas regal. Not sure it should have been done by one person in 1 day. Hic.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Should have let me know..could have shared my 15yr glenmorangie with you Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Use the ski you haven't lost as a probe, sink the trail in and cut across the fall zone. Far more effective than stabbing with poles. Once in engelberg whilst enjoying 50cms of the driest powder a mate lost a ski. As powder was so light the ski must of traveled some distance under the surface. We ended up swapping skis and I skied quite a distance on a single ski, beer for my effort at the end.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I laughed out loud at the British punter comment. In not sure precisely how rude "punter" is though.

I've never Seen anyone other than badly advised brits with them, and never seen any uk people use them 2 days in a row. As someone said, learn to find your gear. Or as a snowboarder I'll find it for you if you're too gormless.

I haven't seen them for years - possibly the 1980s.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have electric trackers (resqski) on mine and a small key fob directional finder in my pocket. No faf, can always find em and also useful when you forget where they are outside the restaurant!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
resqski +1
latest report
They do make good fence posts to tie the electric fences round in the summer when the farmers pick up all the ski poles and lost skis.
snow report
I lost a ski last week in deep powder, tried all the search ideas I could with no luck. Today I rented a metal detector and went back to where I had lost the ski. Within about 20 minutes I found the ski and was on my way. Obviously would prefer not to lose the ski next time, but this solution was much better than waiting til Summer.
latest report
I've ski toured with the local CAF (Club Alpine Francais) Briancon for the past few years.

Being of the CAF fraternity the most modern of ski tech is not within their grasp.

That said they all use Dynafit ski leashes, when I asked why, basically they said do you really want to spend a long time, with your ski tour mates, trying to find a lost ski.

Since then I now use leashes - if Dynafit produce them, then they're good enuff for me rolling eyes

PS I've used Requi Ski but did think it was a wee bit of a hassle, though great for one pair of skis
snow conditions
You could also try the B&D Leashes that Jon in the PisteOffice sells, which are long coiled leashes which mimimise the risk of being hit by your ski, and are designed to with a fusible link which should break under a certain load if avalanched

This is my mod with the leashes attached to the boots rather than the ski, which allows their use with different skis and they don't flap around when carrying the skis (if they were attached to the ski). You can just clip them round your boots when not using them...

snow report
Weathercam wrote:
......I've used Requi Ski but did think it was a wee bit of a hassle, though great for one pair of skis

The Resqski is really easy to use and if you have multiple pairs of skis you simply fit addition bases to those skis and swap the transmitters over.

Then there's the added benefit that when skiing with your fellow Resqski toting buddy you can cross code the transmitters so you can dual search etc.
snow report
@spyderjon,
Do you sell them by any chance wink
ski holidays
I try to keep hold of 'em with me plums

latest report
musher wrote:
@spyderjon,
Do you sell them by any chance wink

Sure do. But I only sell products that I use myself, have tested & with good manufacturers support etc Toofy Grin
latest report
philwig wrote:
I've never Seen anyone other than badly advised brits with them, and never seen any uk people use them 2 days in a row. As someone said, learn to find your gear.

That's a bit condescending isn't it ?

I've used them probably for the last 20 years and I don't understand why people dislike them.
1. They work; extremely effectively
2. I can take mine on and off in about 20 seconds - hardly a labour of love
3. I can easily count on two hands the number of times they've come out when they shouldn't have

Clearly there are people on the previous page who find them a good solution. You say learn to find your skis. Well from experience, I find mine in seconds and I can't imagine you find yours quicker than that.
ski holidays
Resqski + n. Good kit and excellent customer service. Having got a group of people including a guide spend over an hour, never going to go without again.
snow report
Resqski + n. Good kit and excellent customer service. Having got a group of people including a guide spend over an hour searching for my lost ski, never going to go without again.
ski holidays
See the screws front and back of the binding... crank to 16 and stop falling over
latest report
@Super Steezy, good idea. See you in rehab.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy