Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fantasy scottish alps

Poster: A snowHead
I have been to scotland a good few times for skiing and have had some excellent bluebird days and many more not so good whiteouts as well as skiing on pistes no wider than a running track!
This get me thinking.... if nature had blessed scotland with higher mountains, what height would they need to be? I think nevis range is the highest at about 1400 m. If they were higher would high winds still rule out skiing moreofthen than not?
just curious....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
daveqpr, they used to be higher, much higher. I seem to recollect higher than the alps ever were...you're just a few years too late, that's all. A few million years.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Its all the poxy gulf streams fault. Palm trees in Plockton Pah!!!! who needs them.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gilberts Fridge, Yup - drop that damn current down a few hundred miles and the climbing and skiing shoud be superb in the UK.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scotland's also rising as the South of England slowly drops into the sea. With a few millions years the Lecht will be the world's premier resort.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Now casting my mind back to my degree I seem to recall reading in geomorphology that if Ben Nevis was 1600-1700m then there would be permanent ice and snow and at 2000m small glaciers on the high northern slopes. I assume this to be the case with other mountains in Scotland. This would, of course, be lower than in the Alps due to the latitude differences. Sadly, stopping short of putting 1000m of scaffolding onto Ben Nevis we're stuck with what we have...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Could we jack it up a bit instead, if we all donate our car jacks. Or if we persuaded more illegal imigrants to flood into southern England could we speed up the tilt.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If every Scot living in London jumps in the air at the same time... Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How about if they dig up loads of smaller mountains in Scotland and pile the mud on top of Cairngorm and Nevis Range?

If they can build a 2k-foot skyscraper, then they can build a 2k-foot hill Cool
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Isn't the Gulf Stream supposed to switch off with global warming? Always thought that a little ironic that global warming could make Scotland colder Confused
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There are acutally 2 permanent ice patches in scotland one on the north face of Ben Nevis and the other in the cairngorms IIRC ??
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ickabodblue, I've heard that too. Not sure how true it is but a cooling of the Gulfstream would suit me. Don't really like hot weather anyway and if it resulted in Scotland turning into a proper ski resort I'd be over the moon.

Perhaps I should ditch the energy saving light bulbs and burn the tires on my car.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ickabodblue, I believe so. I remember watching one of the best episodes of Horizon that was on that very subject many years ago. It was great as it was just before we studied global warming at school, luckily the chemistry teacher obviously knew of this too, because he said 'well done' rather than 'you clot' when I suggested that global warming could, in the mid-to-long term make parts of the UK far colder.

Personally I like this idea, possibly even skiing in the Cotswolds - that would be the greatest learning terrain in the world, surely? Our climate's naff as it is - in the winter it is too cold to be 'nice', but not cold enough to be 'useful' (i.e. provide consistent, expansive skiing), and in the summer it is mild, with the occassional warm day. Not at all like SE France, the lucky frogs have got the Alps and the riviera! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, I seem to remember reading a couple of years ago about a mountain, in E Canada I think, that did actually have a bit extra built onto it (in order, if I recall correctly, that their vertical drop would be enough to hold FIS events). snowHead
latest report
 brian
brian
Around 5 patches survived this summer I think. There's a thread on winterhighland. However, there have been several summers in recent years where they've all been wiped out Sad

Apparently a small glacier (with proper glacial ice) used to form some years in Coire an Lochain in the northern cairngorms. I've got a book at home with some old b&w photos of it.

Anyway, the original q. ... Nevis tops out at just under 1200m, a base starting from there would be fine wink
snow conditions
ickabodblue and skisimon, I've seen/heard of that too. I think it is because GW is (alledgedly) melting the ice caps, which are melting into the sea (believe it or not), and they are making colder water flow down from the pole, counter-acting with the gulf stream. From what I remember anyway. Would be happy to be put right if that's completely inaccurate though!

Either way, if Scotland gets snowier, that suits me fine. In general I would much prefer a climate of hot summers and properly cold winters.

D
ski holidays
Deliaskis, As long as it doesn't get much wetter I'll be happy too!
latest report
Deliaskis, pretty much. The melting ice-caps are comparatively fresh water, which has a lower density that the salt water in the gulf-stream. When it flows into the Atlantic it thus forces the gulf stream deeper, considerably lessening its effect, until it falls to a depth at which the cold virtually cuts it off entirely. That's how I remember it (combined with reminders from my oceanography studies).
latest report
brian, Yes I seem to recall there were more than the 2 I spoke of these were the main ones ........

I actually did my dissertation on Scottish snow for my degree Smile so have pretty much read every article on snow in scotland that was published pre 1995 and still have copies of most of them somewhere I also had all the details from the books the met used to produce about the daily snowfall etc it was all fascinating stuff and of course involved lots of research by going skiing in scotland Smile Smile Smile
ski holidays
Scotland was covered almost entirely in glaciers until about 12k years ago.

Since then, they have been melting rapidly.

The last glaciers finally disappeared between 1650 - 1700.

The last major snowfields melted between 1985 and 1995.
ski holidays
The Nevis range rises 1344m above the town of Fort William on Loch Linnhe, that's more than the Hahnenkamm and Kitzbuheler Horn rise above Kitzbuhel. So if Fort William were situated in a Highland valley at 762m like Kitzbuhel, we would have a serious ski hill on our hands (and still probably not have enough snow to hold an FIS Downhill race)

I also noticed that Vancouver is on the same latitude as Jersey but still manages to have a fairly reliable 365m of vertical on Grouse Mountain (1231m). That pesky Gulf Stream spoils all our fun!
snow conditions
It has been relatively cold of late given the direction of wind. Snowing again in NI today on a SW wind Puzzled . Is the N Atlantic colder than usual?

Also we have had below freezing most nights of late. This usually only happens round here when there is high pressure, but it is getting pretty cold with SW or W winds?
snow conditions
 brian
brian
johnboy, the jetstream is staying further south than usual so we (Scots and Norn Irelanders) are mainly staying on the cold side of it.
snow report
 brian
brian
Deliaskis, ickabodblue, skisimon,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutdown_of_thermohaline_circulation

It's generally thought to be pretty unlikely by climatologists, I think, but you never know ....
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Helen LS, a dirty job but somebody had to do it. wink

Have you got all Adam Watson's snowpatch data ? It would be cool to get that on the web somewhere.
ski holidays
brian, I definitely did have hmmmm maybe I should go and blow the dust off some files Wink
snow report
No need for fantasy alps, just need the sun to come out, oh wait that's the forecast for Saturday! snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
^ LOL, and I don't mind saying I'm rather looking forward to it too snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
im stuck in london this weekend and will webcam watch with envy!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There was a report from Glenshee on the Main BBC news just now with a reporter there live and footage of sport on the mountain today - Glenshee looks gorgeous and they seem to have floodlit skiing this evening!

Look out for it on the Beeb website later this evening, look for the report near the end of the main news.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy