Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dodgy weather...

Poster: A snowHead
So we're all booked up for our late Feb trip to Les Arcs. I've just made the mistake of scoping out a few of the Les Arcs webcams, and the weather is (to say the least), terrible. Going back to 2007 at late Feb, the weather was...terrible. I'm rather fond of skiing in bright blue skies and perfect visibility, and don't want to spend the best part of £1500 on a week of whiteouts.

Can someone allay my fears, or do I need to be exercising my cancellation insurance?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
magriggs, What makes you think that the week you will go will be a white out Puzzled
latest report
 brian
brian
Personally, I think you need to seriously think about taking up some other sport. Confused
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's like nearly 6 weeks away.....Panicking a bit early arent't you? Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am off in just under 2 weeks and it looks chuffin fantastic Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bright blue skies doesn't bring snow. I'd be very happy with seeing whiteout conditions - and its good for your skiing technique wink

But I can't believe your seriously considering cancelling a holiday for late Feb..... Shocked Shocked you can't dictate what the weather will be, just be thankful there is snow! snowHead You won't be able to say for certainty what the weather will be like until after it's happened Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
magriggs, What makes you think that the week you will go will be a white out Puzzled

Looking at the current pics, and then looking at the pics for last season (Jan, Feb, Mar).

I suspect my real question is, does Les Arcs have a bit of a reputation for being a bit dodgy on weather.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
magriggs, well I've been twice, and sadly it only snowed one day when I was there.

Bleedin' sun was out all the time, other than that one good day Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I am off in just under 2 weeks and it looks chuffin fantastic Very Happy Very Happy

Have you checked the webcams? http://www.webcam-ski.com/archives/2008/01/07/1010/arcsD/arcs6.jpg
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
magriggs, white out now = good base being laid for when you go Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mosha Marc wrote:
magriggs, well I've been twice, and sadly it only snowed one day when I was there.

Bleedin' sun was out all the time, other than that one good day Evil or Very Mad

Hooray! Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nick L wrote:
magriggs, white out now = good base being laid for when you go Very Happy

True, but I looked back at the webcam pics for Feb/Mar 2007 and it was....a whiteout.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Continuous whiteouts can hit any ski resort anytime. I was in Verbier at Easter in (I think) 1969, when the resort was covered in about 3 metres of snow (each chalet had a trench around it to let any light in) ... and the snow continued for two weeks solid. Serial blizzards.

Then again, you can get a month of sun!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
magriggs, I know what you mean, but you're in the mountains.... surviving in that situation can be part of the satisfaction of being in such a beatiful, yet hostile, enviroment. Yesterday in Verbier was a case in point, some whiteouts, the odd glimpse of blue - I had a challenging but fulfilling day.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
magriggs, for goodness' sake! So far, the 2007/8 season has been the best for many, many, years. In Les Arcs and most other places. Of course, it could be different later. Who knows? That doesn't mean to say that every single day since mid December has seen super white pistes and super blue skies but a very, very, high proportion of days have seen just that. There's no pleasing some people. Don't look at any more webcams or weather forecasts till a week before you go, and even then, remind yourself that weather forecasts are only reliable for about 3 days ahead! And if anybody tells you they know what the weather is going to be in Les Arcs at the end of February - they're lying. It will, of course, be very crowded, but that's late February for you.
latest report
Why worry about what you can't control? Just relax and enjoy the skiing and being in the mountains whatever the weather, it's all good Smile
snow conditions
magriggs, We go in Jan & March for 2 weeks each time to Plan Peisey(in Les Arcs area) & in the last four years have only had about 3 days when the weather was too bad to ski Confused Calm down! snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been there 3 times and will be visiting again in March. Always had fantastic conditions. Plus... nowt wrong with skiing in bad vis... just means you have less people on the slopes Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Scarpa, I shall look out for you in your shorts wink
snow conditions
magriggs, It will do what it always does. Whatever it likes at the time. And no insurance company will cover you for "not skiing because you don't want to".

If it didn't snow sometime, you'd be complaining now wouldn't you? - 'cos there'd be no snow to ski on!!

I personally don't like skiing in very, very flat light and won't given the choice. So I have a nice alpine lunch instead. It's a holiday after all.
ski holidays
geri, Oh lordy - I'm never going to live that pic down hehehe. In my defense.. it was at the end of the week at the bottom of the resort after a big end of trip lunch p-up. Vodka sorbet deserts mmmmm
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
magriggs, for goodness' sake! So far, the 2007/8 season has been the best for many, many, years. In Les Arcs and most other places. Of course, it could be different later. Who knows? That doesn't mean to say that every single day since mid December has seen super white pistes and super blue skies but a very, very, high proportion of days have seen just that. There's no pleasing some people. Don't look at any more webcams or weather forecasts till a week before you go, and even then, remind yourself that weather forecasts are only reliable for about 3 days ahead! And if anybody tells you they know what the weather is going to be in Les Arcs at the end of February - they're lying. It will, of course, be very crowded, but that's late February for you.

Easy tiger, I was only asking a question.
ski holidays
geri wrote:
magriggs, We go in Jan & March for 2 weeks each time to Plan Peisey(in Les Arcs area) & in the last four years have only had about 3 days when the weather was too bad to ski Confused Calm down! snowHead

Useful info, thanks. I've been spoiled by skiing in a place where good weather is all but guaranteed. I only get 5 days off to myself each year, so I like to try and make them count.
snow conditions
magriggs, it was a bit of a daft question though, wasn't it? What would you say to someone who asked you what the weather was going to be like in London on February 26? Laughing
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:
magriggs, it was a bit of a daft question though, wasn't it? What would you say to someone who asked you what the weather was going to be like in London on February 26? Laughing

Er, not really. I was asking whether the resort was particularly known for whiteouts, etc., given its height and lack of tree cover.

As for London, if somebody asked me what the probability of getting rained on in London on Feb 26th, I'd say "pretty high".
snow conditions
magriggs, It's up a mountain!!! I agree with brian, I'm not really sure you've got this whole "snow thing" in perspective to be quite honest with you. If you want at least a half decent likelihood of blazing sun and blue skies then you'll be better going in the Spring Time I would have thought. Personally a whiteout wouldn't bother me as there would be plenty of snow...and the beer tastes just as good!
latest report
Just been looking at all the cams I can find. Looks terrible, lots of snow, hardly anyone there.

I reckon I'll hate every day I'm there next week Cool
ski holidays
magriggs, Dubai sounds much more your kind of place.
Please...this place is called SNOWheads for a reason Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
magriggs, there is a fair bit of tree cover in Les Arc, where are you staying?
snow conditions
Mosha Marc wrote:
magriggs, there is a fair bit of tree cover in Les Arc, where are you staying?

1950, so I guess we can pop over the hill into the lower stuff if it does get rough.
snow report
awksquawk wrote:
magriggs, It's up a mountain!!! I agree with brian, I'm not really sure you've got this whole "snow thing" in perspective to be quite honest with you. If you want at least a half decent likelihood of blazing sun and blue skies then you'll be better going in the Spring Time I would have thought. Personally a whiteout wouldn't bother me as there would be plenty of snow...and the beer tastes just as good!

Damn it, you're right. My perspective is totally wrong and I'm glad I have you guys to put me straight.
ski holidays
magriggs, 1950 is a good spot - just take the sneaky shortcut to Villaroger.

Just keep going downhill from 1950, past the Comborciene lift, through the car park, over the road (no this is true) and on a long straight blue. It goes on forever, but is very pretty.

On a snowy day it's great down there <sigh>
snow conditions
Cheers Mosha Marc, sounds good. I once had to ski across a bridge in Val di Fassa, which tickled me no end.
ski holidays
magriggs wrote:
I've been spoiled by skiing in a place where good weather is all but guaranteed.

Well, if there was snow and you skied, it must have been snowing/a whiteout at some point....you were just lucky and caught the sunny breaks,,,

There is hardly anything more unpredictable that mountain weather anyway, so worrying so early is useless, irrespective of what last years webcams shots show for the same period.

Ask again 5 days before you go and then we migh sympathise with you getting a tad worried ...
ski holidays
I want one of those future viewing webcams.
ski holidays
Quote:

I want one of those future viewing webcams.

Yeah - I'd set it up to show the lottery result, buy my ticket and hey presto I could afford to ski where it was never cloudy.

Milton Keynes Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy