Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bulgaria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone been to Bulgaria

I guess I am an intermediate skier
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, once.

Good for you.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Smile So is Bulgaria any good for someone who pretends to be able to ski, like me
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The resorts are quite small, which might not be a huge problem if you're happy to do loops on the same run (as I've done twice before - once in Les Gets and once in Whistler).

I can only speak from experience regarding Borovets though. The terrain is okay, a little variation, but not much. Don't expect groomed runs (they have a couple of piste bashers, but I think they're just for show...) this will make your legs a lot stronger and improve your balance (because it becomes a bit bumpy, but not full on bumps/moguls). I have to admit that my skiing came on tonnes after skiing in Borovets, simply because it made me concentrate on being more balanced and keeping my feet loose/mobile to deal with terrain changes.

Half the resort is often closed, this is because if a bee farts in Swansea they close the gondola... When they do open it up, expect there to be a horrendous queue for it (because all the instructors want to ski up there on the very odd occassion that it opens, this is regardless of their group). One advantage of its infrequent opening is that there is tonnes of powder when you do get up there, and very little competition for it.

As for the village itself - not particularly pleasant (a euphamism would be to call it a 'cultural experience'), the food is generally dreadful, expecially in the hotels. Mama Citta's was very good though. Snowmobiling is very cheap too.

So, my verdict, go to Andorra or a smalled Austrian/Italian resort - much nicer. That's not to say that Bulgaria can't be good if you're with the right people, it just won't be as good (unless you like ladies of the night wink ).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've skied Bansko and reckon it's great value for money. I'd say if you're a beginer/intermediate and like cheap beer, inexpensive food (lots of meat on the menus) and happy to reds/blues all week then it's good. Apparently there is stacks of off piste there but I didn't have a guide and can't speak the lingo so didn't bother. Of course you can't compare it to the big resorts in europe but you're not paying the same prices. You pays your money...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mark one,

What skisimon, says is not far off. I've been to Borovets three times, cheap and cheerful, going again next month. Food in the hotels tends to be average and but plenty of good cheap places to eat and drink in the town.
Best place to change money is the little kiosks on the main street, best rates and they will haggle a bit.

If there is a long queue at the gondola get a horse drawn cart up to the Yastrebets 4 man chair lift which will get you on the mountain much quicker, a cheap but sometimes odourous jouney but can give you an hours extra skiing. I've been on the gondola in a high wind and wished they had closed it before I got on. Having said that in three visits the gondola has only been closed on two occasions, once for wind and once for fog. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mark one,

Couple of years since I was in Borovets as a total beginner. Very big queues is first memory! Cheap to eat and drink out (but from reading other forums, that has changed this year - just cheap now). You can judge the hotel food by how many restaurants are full every night (most of them!)

The gondola closes every Monday morning for safety checks, and one Monday a month is closed all day. This really limits the ski area and increases queues.

Most advice is NOT to change money in street - apart from the fact its illegal, theres a chance the notes could be fake, and often run by local mafiosi...

I would suggest if you are a 'good' intermediate, other resorts might be more suitable.

However, you can't knock the aprés, plenty of bars, clubs, live music.. All open late, cheap to drink - and often 2-4-1 deals all night!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PatMan,
Quote:

Most advice is NOT to change money in street - apart from the fact its illegal, theres a chance the notes could be fake, and often run by local mafiosi...

My comment was to use the money change kiosks on the main street and not any passing man in a leather jacket and sunglasses. I have used these kiosks many times with no problems. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JP,

Took my advice from http://www.bulgariaski.com/pages/advice_en.html

Actually quite a good site for Bulgaria-bound skiers. The chat room is good for instant replies.

PatMan
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PatMan, I think, taking into account that this is Bulgaria, that "currency exchange office" means kiosk. They do display the rates and are regulated.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy