Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Board, bindings and boot buying advice please

Poster: A snowHead
I'm heading to canada on the 1st of Nov for a season in Fernie (lucky me). I am buying a board, bindings and boots out there either in Vancouver or Fernie but have no idea what I should look for.

I have a total of 1 weeks snowboarding experience (ESOB 2007 Very Happy ), am 6'3" and weight about 12.5 stone. I think I would prefer a nippy shorter board if anything, but it also has to be an all rounder. What should I be looking for? Length? Width? Manufacturers? Prices?

Any advice would be appreciated as I don't want to be taken for a ride when buying one. I was recommended a Burton Custom by some guy but £400 for board only is a bit steep!

Thanks in advance,

Tim
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Board-wise out of those I've tried I'd recommend either the palmer honeycomb III or the high society twilight. At your height/weight you'll probably want something around 161, width depends on your foot size (and also angles). Get the best bindings you can afford: it's worth spending a bit less on the board if need be and make sure the boots fit!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PhotoTim, I agree with Swirly, I have a mate the is Burton through & through, he has had the Burton custom for years. But this season he is switching to the PAlmer Honeycomb. He is positively salivating at the prospect.

re: bindings, Ride do some really good ones and they have come down in price too. They have a really good ratchet mecahnism & never freeze up like my Burton bindings did.

Evil or Very Mad lucky s*d at doing a season Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
debbi, The honeycomb (and the twilight) both feel like my current board: an old wild duck, not earth shattering but able to go anywhere. kiwi1 is the guy to speak to about the twilight.

Quote:

lucky s*d at doing a season

Quite.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PhotoTim, I might as well be the first to suggest it (and be heckled for it!! Smile) - buy yourself some FLOWS!!!

Great value, easy to use and great for big feet. Go for the Pro 11s, as these are the stopgap between cheap and expensive, utilising a lot of the NXT technology but without the price. My missus' HEAD bindings seem good quality too so maybe have a butchers at the PX7s (the orange ones are cool) if you prefer traditional strap bindings.

If you're a half size then be careful of you opt for Burton boots. The UK 11.5s I have are actually 12s but Burton like to try and pass them off as slightly smaller than they actually are.

Can't help you on boards as a I have an old ELAN plank that I love (it was a £40 bargain) but it's a few years old. Have a look at GNU boards if you want a bargain though - the Carbon High Beam is supposed to be one of the most underrated boarsd around and for just £200.

Just my opinion though.... Smile

How did you get a season fixed up? Are you staffing a chalet or something, or training to be an instructor? A season sounds sweet....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Specialman, WILL YOU STOP WITH THE FLOWS !!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil (well you did suggest the heckling part )
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I may have some second hand Pro II flows for sale . . .
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the replies guys.

Thing is, I think you're gonna have to explain things in slightly more layman's terms! Assume I have no idea about anything Smile

Flows...whats the deal with these? Why are they good? Can I get all the gear mentioned in Canada? Apparently Atomic boards are not available over there. Why is it the bindings are so important, more so than the board?

I was going to get the gear out in Canada because I assumed it would be cheaper and I'm not really up for having another huge bag to take on the flight.

My feet are size 10-11 (sometimes 11.5) depending on the shoe.

Thanks again for the help so far.

Tim
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PhotoTim, The boots are the most important part, just like skiing.
The board depends on what you want to do, freeride , park. Best to stick to an all mountain to start with.
The bindings come in 2 designs:- flows which are quick & easy access but not pretty & then there are the traditional bindings with straps which come in spanking designs ! They have also brought out a hybrid of the two but not sure how they rate.

Here is a better looking flow !

A tradtional looking binding (HOT HOT HOT) -

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Specialman, OK - I concede defeat on the flows - I have seen a pair that I would actually use!
Aptly called The Minx They have pink on obviously !!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If I had a franc for every person I've seen with a broken flow binding I'd have at least 20 francs. The pin thing on the high back keeps coming out on them.
Avoid nidecker bindings like the plague, swiss made and they suck in terms of quality, I was constantly breaking ratchets and bits on them until in the end they had let me down in too many tough spots to continue with them.

I really rate nitro and atomic for the boards, salomon and burton are a bit meh imo but they do sell bucket loads so can't be that bad, just avoid the salo prospect.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have been running a pair of Flow FS Pro now for 5 years now and never had a problem. I do about 2 trips a year sometimes 3 if I'm very lucky. They have been very durable and one of the accusations often levelled at Flows..that they are hard to do up in powder is IMHO unfounded.

Flows are like marmite u love em or hate em.

I love them.

I had terrible cramps with my straps and got fed up with the strap teeth icing up and slipping and getting the pressure right after each lift. The quicker mechanism is a benefit when you are riding with skiiers who will take every opportunity to grumble about waiting for you to strap in at the top of a lift.

If you sit and play in a park most of a day then there is prob no benefit at all. And the big bug bear in the boarding community is the looks. Early flows did look like a big pair of slippers and basically just not cool. They were bloody heavy too which didn't go down to well either. The recent models are much lighter and as the pics above show a bit more "there". wink

If the durability was that bad why do you seem them on hire equipment at a lot of resorts now.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PhotoTim wrote:
Why is it the bindings are so important, more so than the board?

My feet are size 10-11 (sometimes 11.5) depending on the shoe.

Thanks again for the help so far.

Tim

It's not thaat there more important but an extra 50 quid on the bindings would get you a much better set than an extra 50 spent on a board.

Also make sure your feet fit the board you get, it is possible to ride a board with some overhang but at your level you'll find it much harder, you might want a wide board.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fico wrote:
If the durability was that bad why do you seem them on hire equipment at a lot of resorts now.

hmm, I've never seen them on a rental board.
Maybe I should say I'm on about flows that are used 100+ days a season.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have been riding flows for 4 years now. I switched to Drake F60's for about 3 weekends but switched back to the flows pretty quick. The comfort and speed putting them on is great and I have no less control than I had with the F60s. I did break my pair on the second last day last year. I was moving pretty fast off piste and clipped my heel on a hidden rock. It sent me flying and busted the binding (picture) but I was still able to snowboard the rest of that day and the following day with the broken binding. Take that straps !

For boards, I have only ridden Never Summer. A Premier for 4 years and the Titan last year. Fast stable boards that have taken tons of punishment but not suitable for park work.
latest report
Wait until you get to Fernie then get yourself kitted out from somewhere like Edge of the World - let them know you'll be around for the season and they'll treat you right, no warrnty problems etc. Of course the better option is to order a Prior on tinternet and have it delivered to you. Way better than the mass produced stuff (IMO)
latest report
PhotoTim,

My suggestion would be to go to a good shop and explain exactly what you want. They should be able to sort you as they did me for the first time.
I went to the Snowboard Asylum at Exscape in casleford and although they are expensive they looked after our every needs and our stupid newbie questions were answered with a lot of patience. We still go there today for advice.

Visit their website and you will find ratings for individual products that tell you on a scale of one to 10 how park/learner/mountain/freeride/powder friendly individual boards and bindings are. We found this extremely useful in making our choices as the ratings are in newbie speak.

I too am over 6 foot and settled for an Icon Revival with Burton Bindings and Vans boots, an all round board with decent bindings and boots that are not just superbly snug but are also nice and thin looking on my dirty great feet. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

As other riders have told you, the biggest and most important choice are your boots. These need to be properly hot moulded(the liners) to your feet. This prevents heel lift,too much toe lift,severe blisters and a general all round crappy performance etc etc. Before you go salivating over pretty board designs make sure you spend some extra cash on your boots first. Madeye-Smiley

Setting up your board is the fun part( there are all sorts of screws you can loose!)but i suggest leaving that one to the pro's

I am no real expert but i found a lot of research has helped me understand this beautiful if not slightly mad pastime of ours. Have fun. Toofy Grin
snow report
paulm wrote:
PhotoTim,

As other riders have told you, the biggest and most important choice are your boots. These need to be properly hot moulded(the liners) to your feet. This prevents heel lift,too much toe lift,severe blisters and a general all round crappy performance etc etc. Before you go salivating over pretty board designs make sure you spend some extra cash on your boots first. Madeye-Smiley

Totally agree. Bad fitting boots can spoil your trip.
snow report
Can any boots have hot molded lined put in them? I've got 32's right now but I've suffered from bruised toenails (usually the big toe) every time I've been boarding. The boots I've got let you take the entire inner shoe out so I'm wondering if that needs to be hot molded or I should get new boots?
snow conditions
Quote:

i suggest leaving that one to the pro's

Why? Not rocket science, is it?
latest report
PhotoTim, have a peep at the Doc website gear section (link in the signature). If you want more info about what to look for, email me at richard@fall-line.co.uk and I'll get a Gear Guide to you.
latest report
Lizzard,
Quote:

Why? Not rocket science, is it?

No it isn't. Rocket science is the scientific study of all things rocket. NehNeh

Just offering some advice that i found useful when i was a total newbie who didnt have a clue about stance,angle of bindings,forward lean,ramping gas pedals etc,etc. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Phototim,
I have some Ride Tomcat Ltd Edition (used twice) AND a pair of spanking new Burton Mission bindings (bought the wrong colour, still boxed, never been on my board) ....for sale if you are interested??
snow conditions
deejbee wrote:
Can any boots have hot molded lined put in them? I've got 32's right now but I've suffered from bruised toenails (usually the big toe) every time I've been boarding. The boots I've got let you take the entire inner shoe out so I'm wondering if that needs to be hot molded or I should get new boots?
you can get them heat moulded or you can buy them toe protectors from the chemist, they wrok too.
ski holidays
used a hired head board and bindings last week with my vans boots, board was heavy but did well on the really icy stuff but it was a heavy board the head bindings were really bad several teeth came off and the adjuster on the oppisite side to the ratchet kept opening fairly irritating
ski holidays
Afire, it was the complete and utter cr@p that I had previously hired that made me buy my own gear. Same sort of problems with binding as you had.
snow report
Afire, my first hire board was a cheap make and had 2 left bindings !!! The straps were too long and kept freezing up. I bought my own board and bindings in the sale 3 months later !

Have to say it was a very small resort, all the guys that hired gear in LDA last season all walked out with decent Burton boards and bindings with no rubber dodgem covers they normally stick on so they were well chuffed.

After a couple of trips with hire gear you could of bought you own equipment anyway with what you will have spent.
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow, the straps on all my hire bindings were always too short and would hardly fit into the ratchet thingy far enough for the cogs to catch, maybe you had my bindings by mistake becasue I seemed like I had two left feet when learning Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, its amazing what some (not all) equip hire stores try and get away with ! The embarrasing thing was not one of us (including me !!) noticed for a couple of days Embarassed I did take them back though and got them changed, hope you did as well
ski holidays
DebbiDoesSnow, how could you not notice that?!?
snow conditions
Swirly, EXCUSE ALERT Embarassed

It was -26, blizzards, about 2ft powder, my boots hurt, I was learning, I kept saying that there was something was wrong with my bindings, they thought it was just me moaning !

Natural blonde me wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy