Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saloman Relay bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just bought some new saloman relay bindings after snapping the last pair after five years hard abuse. Does anyone else have a pair? I can make all sorts of adjustments to them and while the instructions are easy to follow to adjust the bindings there are no words telling me why I should adjust them or what difference it would make.

The most obvious questions I have are:-

1. Is there anything I need to consider in set up or boarding for a toe strap? My previous bindings went over the foot.

2. It mentions aligning the highback with the back of the board. Is this necessary and what advanatages does it give me.

3. I can put the toe strap in the forward or backwards position. Does this matter?

I know the obvious answer is to experiment but I'd like to know a bit of theory first. any idea?

thanks

ash
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ashton parker, can I tell you on Monday? (I'm about to take mine out for the first time on Thursday snowHead )

I set mine up the other day, in a similar fog of confusion, and until I've taken them out to play I've frankly got no idea. I've stuck to what looks familiar to me and worked on the basis that the forwards/backwards setting on the toe strap is (a) a size thing, like being able to adjust the length of the footbed, and (b) possibly to allow you to choose between traditional over-the-toe or Burton-style toe-cap. But I'm guessing so far.

Highback alignment leaves me similarly clueless - not an option I've ever had before, and not something I imagine would be comfortable on my front foot (+15).

I'll report back on my findings as soon as I'm back -- but in the meantime I'd echo your call for some informed ideas (as opposed to my sadly uninformed ones Embarassed )
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i set up my first set of bindings the other day. the burton manual says aligning your highbacks with the heel edge of the board allows you to lean backwards and forwards (along the length of the board) without hinderance. whilst it initially looks weird when you stand up in them you don't really notice.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rogg, ah so?

maybe a highback adjustment is in order after all... thanks for shedding some much needed light!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

aligning your highbacks with the heel edge of the board allows you to lean backwards and forwards (along the length of the board) without hinderance

Puzzled

Would that not leave people with large shoe sizes with their toes really sticking out the other side and catching when on toe side?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snojito, I too am heading off on Thursday but back Tuesday so we can compare notes.

Kruisler, its just pivoting the high back not moving the binding. These bindings are so complicated (flash) that I can move the heel back without moving the binding and can adjust the tension on each side to pull the highback around.

Looks like I'm going to be spending a day fiddling with my bindings. At least when I fall it won't be my fault.

ash
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kruisler, i mean aligning as in making parallel with (as opposed to moving the bindings across the centreline).

sorry for any confusion caused - it's hard to describe some of these things, but hopefully snojito has the idea.. Razz
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hey ashton parker, hope you've had a good trip and have made it back safe and sound (albeit reluctantly, I'm sure)

I'm embarrassed to say our weekend in VT wasn't much cop on the messing-with-the-bindings front, mostly because all the lifts were shut on Friday so it was a morning of drag lifts and an afternoon of booze, and then on Saturday although we managed to ride all day I couldn't see my feet, let alone the pistes, and just getting around the mountain occupied pretty much all my attention.

Sunday morning was glorious and if I'm honest I just forgot to do any experimenting with my set up - it was ride the lift, fall over in the powder, ride the lift, fall over in the powder all morning for me Embarassed

The basic set up seemed to work just fine for me though. I guess further exploration will have to wait until our week in Ischgl.

How did you get on? Any more valuable findings than my pretty useless contribution?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snojito, Bindings were very comfortable, seemed to absorb the chatter when zooming hard pistes in the morning. Also seemed much quicker to do up than my previous ones. Didn't adjust particualry and did get severe cramp just above my leading knee on the left but this may well have been down to lack of fitness, extra weight and overlong sliding as the snow was so good.

next opportunity for experimenting is end of march.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy