Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When's the Ski Season?

Poster: A snowHead
Semi serious post about this. There are various opinions on Snowheads and I know it varies from resort to resort and also of course snow conditions.

However, from discussions here the following appears to be correct:

December is too early and offered artificially for commercial gain.
January is too cold.
February is too busy with school children and holidays.
March is too late.

Anyone anything to add?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You seem to have missed off April....Puzzled
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Think that about sums it up to be honest - best leave it altogether and save your hard earened holiday allowances for a fortnight on the beach in August instead wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Earliest I've skied is Nov 25th (opening weekend at Val/Tignes) latest is 1st week of April (Easter with Kids at Les2alpes). although we've also skied the glacier at Les2A in August. When ISN'T the ski season? Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
II, if March is too late (as I have read from someone on here) then unless we're looking at some form of time shifting April cannot be on the list, can it?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I guess you can kind of work your way around the disadvantages Smile

e.g December- go to a resort that is snowsure at that time- e.g. VT, Whistler, Tignes, other places with a glacier
Jan- go to a place with south facing slopes- eg. ADH
Feb- go outside the individual countries half-term e.g. first week of Feb
Mar and April- go to a high (with accumulated snow) or snowsure resort- e.g. Canada again, Chamonix
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AxsMan, I'd agree with the principle - I mean, it would be nice to not think in terms of seasons and dates.
My post is merely a prod at those who seem to think everything is fixed and absolute (like the UK ski industry and some posters on here!).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This season my first skiing was at the end of October and the last will (probably) be in the final week of April. I avoid the three weeks at the end of Feb if I can, but any other time is fair game.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dr. Will, exactly!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnnyh, do people on here really think March is too late? Before I found snowHeads I thought it was late dec-early apr but I've found out it's much longer than that.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnnyh, I've only ever skied the French Alps in March, and have never had anything less than excellent snow. And never been away without significant snowfall either just before I arrived or whilst I was there. The rules are:

December - be prepared for patchy conditions
January - be prepared to wear more clothes
February - be prepared for queues
March - be prepared for great snow and empty slopes
April - be prepared to wear fewer clothes and more sunblock

wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
March is getting to be the best month now. The seasons have shifted a couple of weeks later in the last decade or so. But the second half of January is great as well (especially for powder) and "holidays" isn't the only reason February is popular! I've skid mid April once and it was fine - though you need a high resort and you need to rather like slushy snow (which I do) to ski in the afternoon.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Swirly, based on this quote found elsewhere ". . . March is quite late . . . " some people think so!
I'm in agreement with everyone. I'm off in March and had fantastic conditions in late Feb last year(despite it being advertised as the worst season ever in the history of the world). I do think there can be a sense in which it's never the right time or the right kiind of snow.

Also slightly more seriously, this time, I wonder how a reduction of the months when people *think* they can ski will negatively effect those who rely on the season for their income.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've skied every month of the year in Europe - and skied on fresh snow every month too. March April and early May are great snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Swirly, based on this quote found elsewhere ". . . March is quite late . . . " some people think so!

johnnyh, It wasn't Whitegold's quote by any chance was it?
latest report
My Ski Season.

December, receive deliveries, train staff, promotion and marketing.
January, Bit of skiing, ski testing, trade shows and lots of work selling boots. (Normally get ill due to the influx of tourists and seasonaires.)
February, Too busy, normally take a 5 day break away from resort.
March, Don't want to talk about March, it's rubbish. Cool
April, Start to wind down, hopefully some ski touring and maybe some heleskiing. Ski with my buddies from the British Ski Industry.
May, Change the shop to summer mode, stocktake, maybe a bit of late season skiing.
June, Holidays, this year until November. Cool
snow report
johnnyh, who said that then?

Sometimes you get lucky/unlucky. Last season I was incredilbly lucky with snow, a week either was on some trips and conditions would have been awful. However, you'd think that on a website where a large number of the posters go away in late April people would realise the season went on that long at least! This isn't aimed at you btw, more whoever you're quoting!
latest report
Certainly runs into April, Cham was pretty good in April '07 considering the very average season in general.
ski holidays
Quote:

December is too early and offered artificially for commercial gain

December was fantastic this season.

Quote:

March is too late

April was pretty good here last year as well.

But feel free to stay away and leave the snow for the rest of us. Cool
snow report
 brian
brian
When there's skiable snow on the ground and lifts are running, it's the ski season.

When there's skiable snow on the ground and the lifts aren't running, it's the bloody irritating gtf lifts running season.
ski holidays
January brings the snow
Makes your feet and fingers glow.

February's ice and sleet
Freeze the toes right off your feet.

Welcome March with wint'ry wind
Would thou wert not so unkind.

April brings the sweet Spring showers
On and on for hours and hours.

Farmers fear unkindly May
Frost by night and hail by day.

June just rains and never stops
Thirty days and spoils the crops.

In July the sun is hot.
Is it shining? No, it's not.

August, cold and dank and wet,
Brings more rain than any yet.

Bleak September's mist and mud
Is enough to chill the blood.

Then October adds a gale
Wind and slush and rain and hail.

Dark November brings the fog
Should not do it to a dog.

Freezing wet December; then
Bloody January again!

(Flanders and Swan, At the Drop of a Hat, link)
snow report
johnnyh wrote:
II, if March is too late (as I have read from someone on here) then unless we're looking at some form of time shifting April cannot be on the list, can it?

Spring is King.

Quote:
Also slightly more seriously, this time, I wonder how a reduction of the months when people *think* they can ski will negatively effect those who rely on the season for their income.

Potentially very serious, this sadly is a huge problem for Scottish Snowsports, the best conditions have tended to come in March and/or April the last few years. Perception is thus a huge issue for the snowsports industry, because at that time of year an awful lot people just assume there can't be snow, unless a particularly cold spell drops March/April snow on their low level garden. If people aren't looking for snow, then reports of plentiful powder won't help get more people out.

The dynamics for a snowsports holiday will obviously be different, people don't decide to go to Austria next week on the basis of whether it snowed on the M8 last night, but the basic problem is the same, if people perceive there wont be snow after X date, they stop looking and thus won't be aware that there is good sport to be had.

That is why the big New Year storms in the Highlands have been so welcome, it's dumped significant snow during the holiday season where people are very much looking for snow. Over 2000 people at Glenshee on Sunday, peoples interest has been caught early season, know hopefully they stay interested. Winterhighland has been absolutely clobbered over the past 4 days, using more than twice the previously most used bandwidth in a day on Monday.
snow report
Fresh snow and no crowds on the slope, maybe 100 skiiers, yeah i'm really hating Jan.
ski holidays
Sunshine opens in November and shuts in May every year. This season my first day on the slopes was 18th November and conditons were pretty good although not all of the hill was open. December was excellent with over 90% open and great conditions most days, certainly not too early then. I have not been to Sunshine before this season but last three trips to Lake Louise have been March and April, all with excellent snow. In fact March 2007 was some of the best conditions I have had there. So I would have no hesitation in describing the ski season here as beginning of December through to middle of April as a minumum.
ski holidays
I must say I only found out about spring skiing sort of "by accident". In the early days of my skiing, I was too poor to ski during the height of the season (Dec/Feb). I always look for dirt cheap deals late in the season. Basically I lokked for the last few weeks of any resort's lift operation, which can fall any time from late March on, depending on the individual resort. After a few years of fabulous skiing in late March to late April, I was a convert. Now, I rarely start skiing until after the New Year (except in some specially good year such as this one)

The only reason I don't ski beyond May is because the cycling season would then be in full swing. I don't feel like traveling away to ski when I can ride my bike right out of my front door.

Isn't it the same for summer holidays also? The best beach month is September but most people thought it's "too cold". Well, the water is usually warmer in September than in July, which most people think is the proper summer month! Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:
.....Scottish Snowsports, the best conditions have tended to come in March and/or April the last few years.

I agree with Winterhighland on late season skiing in Scotland!! - often some of the best snow for touring with settled weather & long days - have a look at this thread on Scottish Ski touring - 29 April 2006
snow report
Best snow conditions that I've skied were Austria/Switzerland 3rd week of April a couple of years back.
snow conditions
November - May, better conditions to be found December - April.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy