Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Clothing Layer System

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, another question on the layer system (base, mid and outer layers).

As you know there are lots of ski jackets that are called "insulated" or "insulated down" or "3 in 1" jackets (e.g. brandX "3 in 1" or north face triclimate).

Do these jackets combine the mid and outer layer together?

or are these jackets still regarded as an outerlayer so I still need to buy a midlayer fleece?

thanks for your help guys!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SWhead, Jackets with insulation give you layers 2 & 3 "built in" but without the flexability.

A 3-in-1 gives that flexability back, as you can zip out the liner which is usually a fleece.

You are alowed a fourth layer if you wish. The fashon police don't do stop and search.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=34765 offers an interesting take on the two schools on the shell layer approach. Somehow the insulated jackets got forgotten in the heat...

Wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SWhead, you need to go with what works for you, rather than what anyone says "you should do". I run fairly hot, so often just ski in a t-shirt and a ski jacket (or if the sun is out I've been known to lose the jacket!). On a colder day I will wear a thin fleece jumper. If I thought it may be really cold, then I would wear another jumper.

The only way to find out what's best for you is to try it. Don't get caught in the trap of feeling that you have to buy loads of expensive gear. It's worth getting a good outer layer, but after that, a £7 fleece from decathlon does the same job as a £40 fleece with a "brand" on.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks everyone!

yes, i looked at that sticky thread before i post this topic but apologies, i was still confused because we talk about the mid and outerlayer separately all the time but i find that most ski jackets seemed to be insulated!...that is why i got confused...

yes, my approach was also to get a good outer layer (waterproof 10,000 etc) and just get something from decathlon for mid layer but if the jacket I buy already has a mid layer, i was thinking i could save some money on the mid layer (even though it is only a few quids!)

thanks again! Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Elizabeth B wrote:
SWhead, you need to go with what works for you, rather than what anyone says "you should do". I run fairly hot, so often just ski in a t-shirt and a ski jacket (or if the sun is out I've been known to lose the jacket!). On a colder day I will wear a thin fleece jumper. If I thought it may be really cold, then I would wear another jumper.

The only way to find out what's best for you is to try it. Don't get caught in the trap of feeling that you have to buy loads of expensive gear. It's worth getting a good outer layer, but after that, a £7 fleece from decathlon does the same job as a £40 fleece with a "brand" on.

I'm with you, everyone's different. I just wear a thin polo neck fleece and a jacket, it does me all the time, if it get warm, I just undo the jacket a bit. But my girlfriend seems to have to wear about 5 layers just to be warm enough!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy