Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis on the roof bars?

Poster: A snowHead
snowball,

Funny you should say that because I always smile when I talk to my nan who lives in a small village in the Lot. Many british citizens now live in the area, or have a second home there. There are also many dutch people and some germans..
Well my nan always says she liked the "anglais" because they take part in the local life and shop in the local shops, as opposed to the Dutch which she says come over with trailer loads form holland and just do not contribute to the local life or economy...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

the skis can't go in it is because its where we stash enough food to feed four for a week!!

Shocked Shocked Have you checked to establish which foodstuffs you are allowed to import into Switzerland from the UK Puzzled
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowball, I think she is going to Switzerland, but the same thing surely applies.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I used to drive to Scotland with a mountain bike and 3-4 pairs of skis on the roof of my Panda. Skis were in bags, bungied on (tight). Never a problem. I disagree with Kruisler, however, they should be bagged - just look at all the muck on you car at the end of the journey - you want that on your new skis.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If its big ski boxes anyones after. These are the babies. http://www.surfbox.de/Bildergalerie.asp

I've just bought the 670L Moby XL.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Why not stuff the skis and light squashable stuff like ski clothing in the roof box and put the heavy food lower down in the boot.

I guess there is no supermarket of any size in resort X. There is a MM Migros 22km back in the valley (takes 2h22 according to ViaMichelin Shocked ). BTW you should definitely get your chocky bars in Migros. Cheaper and better than the Cadburys and Mars.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What's the issue with bungees? I use them for a surfboard and that's a heck of a lot more fragile than some skis.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Swirly,
Quote:

What's the issue with bungees? I use them for a surfboard and that's a heck of a lot more fragile than some skis.

Don't you find it difficult to stay upright on them? wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nessy, correct info. re: supermarket. There's a small spar, in the immediate valley village, but the mountain road must be 8+ miles long and takes some getting up - DH isn't keen on driving down and back again if we can avoid it once we are there - the last two years we haven't moved the car once we arrive. You can get bread, milk, butter etc. bought up, but at some expense!! and you need about 48hrs notice to get things.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, you're making this far to complicated.

Put the skis inside the car, and bungee the kids next to the roof box. one either side will balance the car out, and if the bungees fail, then they can always hold on tight rolling eyes
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
halfhand, dammit that explains a lot! rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Elizabeth B, That's the best idea yet wink , I'll threaten my two with that option, but will be kind and put them in the box.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum What a lot of chit chat we've had about your new skis - let's hope they ski well for you, or you might just end up murdering them. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For what its worth - our roof box is always on one side of the car. Is a VW Sharan and I couldn't put it centrally without having to pack a ladder to reach it.

I personally think the stuff about weight distribution is tosh - the limit for our roofbox is 75KG. I'm 90KG so if driving the car on my own I'm equally unbalanced as putting a roofbox to one side
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boris, isn't it down to the centre of gravity being more affected by the height of the roofbox though?
latest report
well, just to add to the conversation, I never bungee anything to the roof bars, just use a bit of rope, the right knots, and naked skis. However, a proper ski carrier is much better - can't be faffing with knots or bungee every time you drive to the slopes. Not that much muck gets up to the roof of the car, and it rubs off, first run down the hill. However, I agree with the posters above who have questioned the weight limit for the roof. It is pretty important NOT to exceed either the roof box manufacturers weight limit or the car manufacturer's weight limit. Can seriously affect balance of the car in extremis - eg an emergency stop on a bend. Surely it's the weight, not where the box is, that matters (unless you also have faulty suspension....)
snow conditions
Megamum With all these threads worrying about your skiing holiday would it not be easier and less stressful for you to go with a tour operator to a catered chalet or hotel in a 'mainstream' resort Confused

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 8-01-08 15:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

Surely it's the weight, not where the box is, that matters

But extra weight at the top of the car will affect handling more thna the extra weight in the car.
ski holidays
Swirly, not by much - VW Sharan has a kerbweight of 1900KG and a Gross laden weight of 2500KG, 70 odd KG on the roof will have minmal impact given the bulk of the weight is well down
latest report
TWO pages of discussion on how to transport a single pair of skis??? Shocked

Quote:

I doubt as much planning went into 'Sir Edmund Hillary's' ascent of Everest as Megamums week in the Alps.

Having transported multiple BOATS on top of my family car (not a 4X4 monster) for a few thousand miles. I'd say all this weight and bungee talk is a bit too much.

1) I can't see how much food you can put in the roof box to upset the balance of the car.

Remember, a car naked (sans passenger) is about 2000 lb. All that weights are down low too (engine, wheels). Add 4 bodies (easily 500 lb). How much weigth will the food be??? Puzzled If you're really that paranoid, load the food in the box in such a way so the heavy stuff is over the centre of the CAR (not the center of the box when mounted off-centre).

2) If your DH can't be bothered with moving the roof box, strap the ski either naked or bagged on the roof with rachet straps.

If I can hold a 50 lb kayak with TWO rachet straps going 80 mph safely, Megamum should be able to hold a pair of 5 lb skis securely with the same!!!

To safeguard the skis when you sleep, you can use your ski lock (you got one, right?) to lock the skis to the bar.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 8-01-08 16:00; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Centre of gravity plays hugely on the handling of a car. Always try and keep the weight low. Why take food? It is cheaper and fresher over there.
latest report
Remeber to check the hight of your car when loaded, some peage gates are height limited, often enforced by dangling chains and then an RSJ. Skullie
http://www.sanef.com/fr/ecommerce/pdf/notice_libert.pdf
snow report
abc wrote:

To safeguard the skis when you sleep, you can use your ski lock (you got one, right?) to lock the skis to the bar.
Oh dear - that'll be the next megadiscussion now rolling eyes
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
... Why take food? It is cheaper and fresher over there.

you already defended Megamum's decision to take food on another thread, IIRC rolling eyes
ski holidays
NickB wrote:
abc wrote:

Oh dear - that'll be the next megadiscussion now rolling eyes

Nop.

Though only because we had gone through that megadiscussion already. wink

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 8-01-08 16:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, I suspect it was the EoSb self catering thread. Buying in resort is more expensive than stocking up at a large hypermarket (Which MM can do as she has a car). Besides, you try keeping track of all the shoite I write Laughing
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, obviously I do, oh great one Laughing
snow report
OK, I see what this is. The dark one has run off with her tail between her legs and you lot need someone else to criticise.

OK, I'll stop asking questions then shall I? Dunno what you're all going to do with all the time saved answering them though wink

However, I hardly think that I'm solely responsible for the lengths some of these threads get to, after all, its not me that pens all the answers is it?

Can someone please hand me back in the pram all those toys that are on the floor?

B.t.w. abc, thank you for the tip about the ski lock - without a lockable bonefide carrier I was worried about the nickability of the skis - to the point of taking them off the roof and stuffing them in the cabin of the car if we left it for any length of time - it hadn't occured to me to use the lock to secure the skis on the roof.

However, I get the message and won't ask how to carry the ski boots wink wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

However, I get the message and won't ask how to carry the ski boots

A bungee tie between the two, slung over you neck? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
Remeber to check the hight of your car when loaded, some peage gates are height limited, often enforced by dangling chains and then an RSJ. Skullie
http://www.sanef.com/fr/ecommerce/pdf/notice_libert.pdf

Nissan X-trail + roofbox will go under all the barriers EXCEPT the ones at Chalons (I suspect they will, but as they specifically have a notice above them saying no roofboxes, we haven't attempted it) . I think I measured car+box as 2.05m,.
ski holidays
abc wrote:
Quote:

However, I get the message and won't ask how to carry the ski boots

A bungee tie between the two, slung over you neck? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I'm sure you can buy a nifty device for carrying boots......
snow report
Quote:

A bungee tie between the two, slung over you neck?

Well at least you didn't suggest wrapped round my neck Embarassed Embarassed Am I a pain in the neck?
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, Did you see my post about overheight on the tunnel? They are now getting very strict about it. Despite booking overheight, before Xmas at Folkestone they put the measuring device out and I was swiftly sent to queue with the cars Confused But then had to put me downstairs as apparently that has more headroom than upstairs Sad
ski holidays
Megamum, no, you're a weirdo attention-seeker. Now go and stick your skis on the car and stop messing about.
snow report
Lizzard, And you're a pink fluffy lizzard, but you knew that didn't you snowHead wink
snow conditions
Megamum, Boot carriers......
http://sports.search.ebay.co.uk/ski-boots_Skis_W0QQdfspZ32QQsacatZ16062
latest report
OK, OK, I WAS JOKING about the boot carriers !!!
snow conditions
I'm a bit loathe to get into this conversation Megamum, but if you sold your modern car and got an old Volvo 240 estate you would have loads of cash in hand and could get all your food and skis inside the car!
latest report
Trenmold, food? We do have food here, you know. Please tell me the daft old bat isn't trucking Tesco's entire range of blue-stripe ming all over Europe.
latest report
Lizzard, Mrs Trenmold also seems to think that there are no shops abroad selling food and insists on carting huge consignments of tea bags and the like around with us. I have drunk Australian wine from Waitrose in France and Sainsbury's ground coffee in Brazil.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy