Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone for Scotland - 12/13 Jan?

Poster: A snowHead
skisimon, nice one Very Happy

I just looked out the window and it's snowing in Bristol - GOOD GRIEF! Shocked
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skisimon wrote:
Have done. Heading over for about 10.30 too.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who has trouble packing (rather than learning to pack economically with the Navy, I just seemed to learn how to cram more into the same amount of space...) - going to be restrained this time, I'll wear most of my ski gear up to save on space.

We have lots of room dont pack too light.

It will all go in no problem.

Regards Mark

Off too sleep now, see you both laterz
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Topsmoke wrote:
We have lots of room dont pack too light.

It will all go in no problem.

Cool Toofy Grin
Quote:
Off too sleep now, see you both laterz

See you later Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
By the way there's a good news report on the snow in Scotland from the BBC here (click "Watch Skiers on slopes" to see video of Glenshee)

Just to whet everyone's appetites!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowball,
Quote:

Yes, 730m vertical means to the bottom of the access lift - ie the car park. 470m is to the top of the access lift. Their quoted figure of 800m is a substantial rounding-up, even if you skied past the car park to the main road.

I have actually skied beyond the main road in Gencoe all the way to the Kingshouse when the carpark was too busy and we had to park at the Kingshouse. The ski back was a bit interesting and included a cattle grid, not sure what the vertical is though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There was an excellent report on the main BBC news just now with a reporter live at Glenshee - Glenshee looks gorgeous and they seem to have floodlit skiing this evening!

It'll be up on the Beeb website later this evening, look out for the report near the end of the main news.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
God smites me once again (I'm going to have to add Him to my Customer Non-Service thread Little Angel ).

After a week of getting more and more excited, and everything falling into place nicely for the weekend (like having Monday lectures cancelled - no rush to get back) I can't go skiing. Evil or Very Mad I can't even get past Taunton! Trains closed, motorways almost unusable, west-country essentially closed to every one and everything (except fish...) Evil or Very Mad

Topsmoke, left you a txt, have a good one - even more space now. roga/Elizabeth B/flowa, have a good weekend, sorry I'm going to miss it! Crying or Very sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skisimon, so sorry for you Evil or Very Mad

When are the rest of you leaving? are you driving straight to Nevis? If so I can recomend breakfast at Morrisons in Fort Bill or there is a Little Chef at Spean Bridge (4 miles past the ski road turn off)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skisimon, really sorry to hear that Crying or Very sad

II, we'll be leaving Cheltenham around 11 I guess so that gives the traffic a bit of time to calm down.

Thanks for the breakfast recommendations, they're really useful - I was presuming there wouldn't be many/any places between Loch Lomond and Fort William, certainly at that time in the morning!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian, now confirmed I cannot make it - I completely forgot I have to meet my mother on Monday about changing her will.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi all,

Elizabeth B and I have just had a spot of dinner at Tebay Services (recommended!) and are well on our way to o'night just South of Fort William in a lovely BandB.hopefully catch up with the lads for breakfast.

Really sorry that SkiSimon couldn't get to Topsmoke this 'avo! Sad
We'll be thinking of you.

Snowing as we came over the Pennines (lovely Smile) but clear in Cumbria - that'll be the altitude then, won't it?
Agenterre - it's under 2000m here - not a spot of whitegold to be seen! Wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
flowa, Have a great time snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just seen the weather forecast on the telly, looks like you're in for a good dollop of the white stuff this weekend Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Brian's photos look amazing. Enjoy peeps. Just a shame there is 20 miles of cold water between me and Scotland and a £200.00 ferry crossing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnboy, would you go if it were nice warm water?
ski holidays
Linds, Fenlandskier et al, thanks for the good wishes.
We're here! Smile Smile already tucked up and ready for zzzzzz's
Think we arrived about 01:15 - not bad going considering the driving conditions. Torrential rain, snow, fog, deer, no petrol!!! I had to coast all the way from Glencoe to hopefully have enough to get back to a station in't morning! Phew!!! Made it, just!
Venison, anyone?
latest report
Have a slide for me tomorrow flowa, it looks like you'll have great conditions Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
flowa, mmmm, venison. I made a lovely Moroccan style venison dish last week, it was lovely (even if I do say so myself). I'm feeling all jealous now... Just make sure that you post of terrible conditions tomorrow! wink
ski holidays
It's shyte!

That's what I thought at first but they just opened the top button and now we are soaking in the most beautiful, long reaching views - all the way to the gorms (I think). No wind, chrystal clear blue sky, low clouds in the glens. Stunning!

BUT: it's true about the rocks - skiing wise, it's not worth doing again.

Still, in the words of the inimitable Ed Hillary, "We knocked the bast*rd off".
snow report
I drove up to fort bill straight after work last night, didn't have too many problems with traffic after escaping manchester and getting on the M6. A82 had a couple of patches of snow and ice just on the other side of / half way through several bends.

Arrived about midnight, which was not too bad considering my lengthy tea time stop, and swift pit stop for diesel.

Snow at Nevis was okay, almost all of the open runs had atleast one patchy bit, although Warrens was very rocky, so I'll be ptexing my bases next week! Lovely views from the top of Anoch Mor, and some impressive cornices above the back corries.
ski holidays
flowa wrote:
It's shyte!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Under great pressure I must share that the last run of the day was really lovely. The snow finally worked out that it wanted to be snow, not ice or snowballs or iceballs or grassy or rocky - basically I worked out that if I skied by the fences (yes you read that right) I could avoid the rocks and, better yet, the snow was powdery, soft and oh so lovely. I skied down from the summit to the base station with Alistair Pink and we stopped a few times to share the joy at the conditions - grinning from ear to ear.
It's worth doing once Smile

We are now in The Winking Owl restaurant in Aviemore having had a good drive over. The town is covered in snow and there are wooden skis on the ceiling and an ancient (relatively) snowboard on the wall.
Insh Hall has turned out to be gorgeous too, surrounded by snow and tucked away - it's just the kind of place you can imagine them remaking Friday The 13th - the placid beautiful location no-one would believe such horrors could unfold in. Still, I think we'll be ok Wink.
ski holidays
flowa, Very Happy
ski holidays
On the road into Glenshee - did anyone else see all those squished white rabbits all over the place? I've never seen so many road kills in one place. What was that all about? Had the poor wee things just never experienced so much traffic?
latest report
Just got back home. It was good to meet up and ski with you all at Nevis Range on Saturday - wasn't it a great day Very Happy - hopefully some of you who took pictures will post them shortly.
This morning I skied Glencoe (first time there for me). Of course the weather had turned a lot worse - rain (not even snow) so not very pleasant -but all lifts apart from the Wall tow were running. By half past 11 my outer clothing and gloves were soaking, so decided to call it a day and get on the road back home. Still Glencoe was the only Scottish area I hadn't previously skied, so as Flowa says quoting Sir Edmund, "I knocked the bast*rd off" Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Alastair Pink, I agree Saturday was a good day Very Happy and it was nice to meet you all snowHead It's been raining here all day so I can't think skiing would have been much fun today. Sorry I only took one or two photos on my phone.

This is how crap I am with names - just realised flowa used to be juliette I thought your face looked familiar Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
We skied Cairngorm today......pissing it down with rain and gusting up to 80 mph! I've not been blown back up a hill before when trying to ski down. But it was still good fun.

Will try and post some photos of Nevis later.
snow report
Allright guys, now back in Brizzle but boy was that a brilliant weekend!! snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

What a contrast between the two days - gorgeous day Saturday and amazing views across the mountains of Scotland from Nevis, raining/sleetging/snowing and blowing a 'hoolie' at Cairngorm today but still brilliant fun.

Leaving aside the weather today those Scottish pistes really do test you and I have the aching legs to prove it but such satisfaction being able to do it - as they say if you can ski in Scotland you can ski anywhere - fantastic and literally wild stuff!

Better get some shut eye now but I'll try to get some photos up tomorrow if possible Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

It was very nice dont you think ? Little Angel

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 14-01-08 13:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Sunrise over Loch Linnie....the view from our breakfast table!

View along Loch Eil from Snowgoose restaurant.

At the Summit

Looking into the Back Corries

Ben Nevis

Sunset (using my sunglasses as a makeshift filter rolling eyes )

View along Loch Eil again!
ski holidays
Oh...there's another photo on the mediazone, but I'd be in trouble if I linked to it wink

It was an amazing day at Nevis.....I took a heap more photos, but most of them are of cloud inversions in the valley!
snow report
Good photos, wish I could have been there.
Did anyone get to ski the back corries at Nevis or was it too dangerous? That's an impressive cornice! It looks as though the Braveheart lift was not working (as usual).
snow conditions
Braveheart wasn't running and the back corries weren't offically open, however we did see some people skiing there. We didn't though!
latest report
flowa wrote:

Still, in the words of the inimitable Ed Hillary, "We knocked the bast*rd off".

Thats a shame about the rocks Sad

Was at Glenshee on Saturday and it had complete cover from top to the carpark, no rocks at all unless you went away from the piste. The snow was nice and soft for the most park but with some bizarre big chunks of ice on some runs. We had a fantastic day, I took up 3 skiers who have never skied in Scotland and their general impression was that they never thought skiing in Scotland would be so good. However I've got to say I don't think it was the best day I've ever seen and I've only been skiing 2 years in Scotland. There was easily loads of days in 2006 which had nicer snow and more of it and we had quite a few bluesky days as well. People are maybe just getting a bit over excited after last year Smile
snow report
Amazing photos guys, will get mine up this evening (if I have any decent ones).

Elizabeth B, that sunset photo is awesome! snowHead

I'm still grinning, despite it being a Monday morning back at work! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Elizabeth B wrote:
Oh...there's another photo on the mediazone, but I'd be in trouble if I linked to it wink

Who's who then ? wink

Lovely pics Very Happy
ski holidays
Left Aviemore at 4pm and made it back to East London in one piece, having dropped ElizabethB in Sheffield, and got to bed by 2am - I'm knackered today.

Have to admit that I sloped off to the cafe on Sunday after just one run down the M1 piste from the top - we'd been told it was unpisted, unfortunately that wasn't quite the case as it had been driven over by a cat not dragging a groomer. Consequently the run was pretty dangerous in the conditions and we took it quite slowly. Conditions being; gusting winds up to 80mph which at that time were varily blowing downhill and across, the rain was tipping down and 5 mins out I was soaked through. The snow itself was wet, churned up by the cat and on the whole a sticky mess - forget sludge, this was fudge..... or is that Tab in Scotland? I didn't want to do anymore, the chance of an injury was too high and how would I drive? So, I made my excuses and left the other nutters in our party to crack on while I retired to a sofa by the fire.

My final thought is: I'm really glad I've done it and I can see the attraction ......if you live nearby. Very Happy

AlistairPink great to meet you and thanks again for your company on Saturday's last run snowHead

II thanks especialy for the ski-guiding on Saturday. Your local knowledge really did the trick Very Happy

Roga you're a champion for Scottish skiing and I half get it. Keep it up. As soon as those hills grow another 1000m you'll be in business wink

TopSmoke great to meet you after hearing so much about you from JohnnyBoy. You are indeed a TopBloke! Cool

and finally, ElizabethB thanks for your company this weekend, particularly in the car! I couldn't have made that journey without you Little Angel. Thanks for the introduction to Tebay Services!!! Who knew? What a find Toofy Grin. Thanks also for putting up with the jokes, the music and the dodgy passing manouveres - all without complaint. I still regret the bunny but rather that than one of the deer, hey?!

Hope to see you all again at a bash sometime soon snowHead snowHead

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 14-01-08 17:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
brian wrote:
[Who's who then ? wink

Lovely pics Very Happy

Sorry....I've deleted that photo....I thought I could get away with it by not linking but apparently not Sad
snow conditions
A couple of accommodation recommendations if you plan to head to Scotland:

For Fort William we stayed at www.ballachulishhotel.com £25pp pn B&B. The linen was 5*, bed very comfortable, the shower wasn't brilliant but the breakfast was ace! Very good value for money and the location is superb and the Hotel has old world charm and is full of character. Their Receptionist, Corina, sorted out our booking and made sure we could still get in with the night porter inspite of our 01:15 arrival Sat am.

For Aviemore we stayed at www.kincraig.com/lochinsh/inshhall.htm for £0.50p more each a night B&B. The linen wasn't as good as Ballachulish, nor the comfort of the bed or atmosphere of the building but the shower was brilliant and the breakfast was too - not to mention the spectacular setting of their restaurant in the Boathouse on the loch!
Again, very good value for money and another outstanding location. One tip if you plan to book into Insh Hall, their office is only manned from 09:00 - 16:00 and there's no answerphone. However when you do get through, their Receptionist Sonita is extremely helpful and accommodating.
snow report
snowball,
Quote:

Did anyone get to ski the back corries at Nevis or was it too dangerous?

Have a look at this sequence in the back corries - titled ragdoll.gif Skullie - he apparently walked away unscathed!!!
Full report is on Winterhighland:Nevis Range Snow 2008 (page 6) thread
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy