Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skiing/snowboarding in mid march

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys first post just wondering were would be good around the 15th of march, we have a couple of weeks skiing and 3 weeks boarding done so don t need anything to extreme would just like some decent snow, night life is' nt to important a bit of life would be nice though any help would be great
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you have a country in mind? Anyway you do/don't fancy?

It's a very open question with literally hundreds of answers!

D
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nowere really in mind once its not very expensive and looking for good snow are most resorts going to have good snow at this time Thanx
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Afire, yes, most resorts will have good snow, but the very best week would be the one beginning 8 March - one of the few during the season that doesn't coincide with somebody's school holidays. Where have you been before, and what did you like/not like about your previous trips? That helps to narrow down the thousands of possibilities!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
been in livingno good skiing long transfer though, borovets, pamparovo didn t think much of the service and lot of lift stoppages, oslo very small but was empty and unbeleivable snow when i was there , just back from are really nice resort sme brilliant runs difficult to get to and the snow was quite packed in some places have to go around the 15th as im tied to irish school holidays
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
to add a little more would perfer more chairlifts that drags get fed up hanging on after a while other than that am fairly open if the snow s gonna be good im not too worryied just hoping its not to busy and there s some good long fast runs thanx for any help
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well my area of experience is Austria, so hopefully some other helpful people will come along and fill you in on possibilities in the other countries.

Obertauern is just over an hour from Salzburg and would fit your requirements. It's higher than most of the surrounding resorts so tends to have a good snow record. But as it's higher, it is a bit more expensive than nearby areas, but it would be worth looking at self-catering apartments there. If you go somewhere like Flachau or Zauchensee, you can get the Amade liftpass which covers lots of different areas.

Elsewhere in Austria, some of the places with great snow records are Ischgl, St Anton, Obergurgl and Lech/Zurs. These are all west of Innsbruck in the Tirol and Arlberg regions. They are also among the more expensive Austrian resorts due to snow record, altitude (in some cases) and in the case of Lech, because it's known as quite exclusive.

More middle of the range/value budget wise would be lower altitude places like Mayrhofen, Saalbach and Zell Am See. In Mayrhofen, the skiing is a gondola ride above the town, so is at a higher altitude and fairly good in terms of snow record. There is also a glacier up the valley. It sounds like Mayrhofen might suit you. There is a wide range of accommodation and so you will be able to find something in your budget.

However, I would recommend one of the Amade resorts like Flachau and Zauchensee. They are not as well known in the UK, but are great resorts with loads of skiing. They tend to have modern high speed chairlifts so not such a problem with queues etc.

Maybe have a look at some of those online and see if you see anything you like, then I am sure you will have more questions!

As I said, I only really know Austria well, but hopefully someone else will come and give you some options in France, Italy, Switzerland etc. so you can see what takes your fancy.

Happy sliding
D
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thank you for the info will have a look into them this evening
Thanx Alan
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
just had a good look at Zell am see looks really good and plenty of good offers for the week i need Kaprun looks nice too but seems very small anyone else got anywhere they d like to reccomend there only 2 of us so booking a chalet or going outside a package is going to be hard enough to get any value, organised Are myself worked out well but there was 5 of us so it suited
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Afire, where do you need to fly from?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Afire, We are going to Morzine on the 15th this year. We went at the same time last year.

The Portes du Soleil ski area is huge, and we found plenty of good snow on the upper slopes - lots of terrain for all abilities too. The lower slopes into the village were either a bit slushy or bare, but that just meant getting the cable car down at the end of the day. I think I only used one drag lift the whole week we were there - there is a much greater percentage of chairs/gondolas. And very few queues. There are plenty of other resorts in the PDS ski area you could look at too - I like Morzine for its position in the middle, which gives great access to the whole area (and nothing to do with that little village train - honest). The transfer time from Vgeneva airport is about an hour and a half.

A few years ago, we went to Cervinia in Italy at tbout the same time of year. That is a high altitude resort, so we had fantastic snow with lots of fresh powder. With the link to Zermatt, you have a large ski area with good variety too. There was one drag lift we had to use every day at the start, but from then on it was chair lifts all the way. Queues were a bit more, but not too bad.

I really liked the night-life in both - not too roudy for me, just nice sedate pub crawls.

Just thought that would give you another couple of options to look at - or confuse you more Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Afire, how many of you are there? Did I see you rule out the week of 8 March above?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eng_ch, from above, he has to go around the 15th as he's tied to school holidays and there are two of them.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
if there are two of you, you can probably find some good catered chalet deals nearer the time. Many of the French resorts should suit you, and in general you should find the snow is fine in mid March - a great time to ski, with longer days, and hopefully some deckchair weather as well as some fresh snow. If you find some good deals, you could get swift feedback on here about specific resorts.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I always have gone to Andorra, Soldeu in the middle and end of March.

Last year when it was all rubbish everywhere, we left on the 15th March and the coach trip to the resort was horrifying!! no snow what so ever anywhere apart from a couple of runs!
Anyway by the next morning we opened our blinds to extreme blizzard conditions, you could not see a thing!! its was already nearly a foot deep on the pavements!! after spending the day up on the moutains the walk back was a hard one walking through nearly 2 ft of snow that was trying to be cleared up but the guys were failing miserably.
We couldnt see any further the 20 mtrs for 7 days it was fab at first abit tedious towards the end!!! put it this way all the runs were open by the 2nd day!

Anyway morale of my story in the 7 years of going in March to Soldeu it has always snowed! never been dissapointed and never really had any runs shut.

To see some pics of last year http://www.thevwfleet.co.uk/picture%20gallery/Andorra%202007/andorra2007.htm
ski holidays
lads thanx for all the info giving me plenty to think about it doesn't really matter were i fly out of because to get anything decent im gonna have to fly to an English airport and on anyway because the flights are very expensive out of Ireland and not a great deal of choice if i go for a package
ski holidays
Afire, if you do fancy Austria - Saalbach or Zell Am See/Kaprun or any of the Amade resorts like Flachau, Wagrain, Zauchensee, Gastein valley, Schladming etc. or Obertauern as mentioned above, there are some reasonable flights out of Gatwick to Salzburg at the moment for those dates, with Thomsonfly. If you want Mayrhofen or anything further west - Ischgl, St Anton etc. then try for Innsbruck (Gatwick or Manchester or Liverpool or Bristol) or Friedrichshafen (Liverpool or Stansted).

HTH
D
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy