Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Food on the slopes

Poster: A snowHead
Quick question.

I'm only on piste for 3.5 days this year, so don't want to spend too much time in the restaurant at lunchtime.

Any advice on good nourishing small energy-providing nibbles I could pack as snacks?

And a question about etiquette, is it okay to sit with the snowboarders and eat my snack or should skiers go to the side of the piste?

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A man after my own heart. Only wimps take a lunchtime break - just take some high-energy sandwiches and a snickers bar and eat them while you're riding the lifts.

Don't stop by the side of the piste or even sit, snowboarder style, in a pack just below the brow of a hill - it's a waste of valuable skiing time.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If we are not doing restaurant lunches, we tend to take cereal bars and the like to nibble at during the day. And sometimes fruit but only in good weather (can't imagine wanting to eat apples in a white-out for some reason!).

Also take nuts, and camelback full of water or juice.

[random drift] have to say, I really enjoy skiing more when we have the camelback, as we do keep having a few sips between each run, sitting on the lift or whatever, or even waiting for the rest of the group to catch up, and it has made me much more conscious of how dehydrated I get when we only drink in huts and restaurants, as we tend to go a couple of hours with no fluids then, and if you're having an energetic day, you really feel it. [/random drift]

D
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It depends on how cold it is but biting into a full size snickers bar can be quite expensive on ones teeth I find mini ones which I can pop in whole fantastic!

Other than that just staying hydrated with the camelback and dried fuit and nuts or pumpkin seeds etc and the odd power bar are all quite tasty !
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Water.

Snickers.

Don't take a packed lunch. It will make you look like a loser.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There are some nice meusli type bars (I like one called the Big Bar) with dried fruit in which I take - along with water bottle and hip flask. Or there are good steel vacuum type flasks if you want to take hot coffee or tea (as an off-pister I have a back-pack).
But I'm afraid my friends generally prefer to stop for lunch. (Of course I would just keep going Madeye-Smiley )
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tim Sawyer, eat what you like, where you like, when you like, in what company you like.

If you want a 3-course meal and a beer, go for it.

I can't believe that people would pass up delicious mountain food for a Snickers bar, and then suck water out of a sheep's bladder.

You're on holiday!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The only other point I'd make is not to choose a table in the middle of the piste. Leave that for the boarders.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Tim Sawyer, eat what you like, where you like, when you like, in what company you like.

I can't believe that people would pass up delicious mountain food for a Snickers bar, and then suck water out of a sheep's bladder.

You're on holiday!
Totally agree.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh dear, I do now feel the need to add the caveat that I have only restaurant dodged on one holiday when I was made redundant a month before our Christmas skiing hol, and we really were skiing on a shoestring.

Under normal circs, I am a 'delicious mountain food' kind of girl!

Still do prefer to stay hydrated throughout the day though, but not instead of restaurants, just as well as!

D
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith, Frosty the Snowman, over 30,000 posts between you, who am I to argue! snowHead

I suspect I may end up heeding your advice if for no other reason than I am skiing with my bruvver, and he, shall we say, likes his food.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
David Goldsmith wrote:

You're on holiday!
Totally agree.

I totally agree also. There is nothing nicer than stopping for a nice long leisurely lunch. After all, you are on holiday... Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I find raisins are good. Snickers are good. I agree with those who don't like to stop too long for lunch, but on the other hand as DG wrote, this is your holiday, so do what you want. Having fun will always beat being cool. Of course you can always do both: take off those silly skis, sit in a horizontal line next to me and my friends just over the brow of that hill and I'll tell you about a better way to get down the mountain Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jb1970, I quite like a quick spag bol and a drink atthe self serve.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jb1970,
Quote:

totally agree also. There is nothing nicer than stopping for a nice long leisurely lunch. After all, you are on holiday...

Quite agree
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=810920#810920
Very Happy
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, then there's that soup they do with a huge chunk of crusty bread thrown in free.
snow report
Deliaskis wrote:
camelback full of water or juice.

[random drift] have to say, I really enjoy skiing more when we have the camelback, as we do keep having a few sips between each run, sitting on the lift or whatever, or even waiting for the rest of the group to catch up, and it has made me much more conscious of how dehydrated I get when we only drink in huts and restaurants, as we tend to go a couple of hours with no fluids then, and if you're having an energetic day, you really feel it. [/random drift]

D

Glad to read that as I bought one yesterday!
Spent a week in bed with terrible back, from the day we got back from Andorra last year and all down to dehydration worsening a weak back.
Like Tim Sawyer, only boarding 4.5 days this year so I do not want to be down after the first day...So got myself a camel back so I that I have no excuse for not drinking enough fluid!

Especially as the previous night's beer might worsen dehydration! Toofy Grin
latest report
Kruisler, so my drift wasn't so random after all. You'll really notice the difference I bet, especially at altitude when you need it even more.

Happy sliding snowHead
D
snow report
Skiing is expensive. Eating a long lunch on the mountain is expensive, and it cuts into the skiing time that you've paid dearly for. I like a leasurely lunch as much as the next person, but if you are only skiing 3.5 days a season, as Tim Sawyer says he is, it's not a very effective use of your time and money.

On those days when I want to get in as much skiing as I can (and if I had only 3.5 of those a year, that would be every day), I fill the 2 L bladder in my hydration backpack with water, pack a large sandwich that I'd made the night before, take a bar of chocolate and a pear or apple. Gondolas are great for eating. So are the edges of outdoor decks attatched to expenisve mountain restaurants. The added bonus is you get to see the condesending looks of all the people who will be sitting down while you're skiing the empty slopes at lunchtime.
snow report
The slopes usually close around 4:00 pm, so it's not really that much of a hardship to maximise your skiing time and put off serious eating until the evening. My preferred approach is a huge breakfast that keeps me alive for most of the day and if I need anything else, I graze. In my impoverished youth, grazing meant a packed lunch eaten on the lift; now I grab a high-energy snack (eg a giant-sized cookie, brownie or hoagie) from a mountain shack and eat that on the lift instead. But, at all costs, I keep on skiing.

Don't stop to eat. That's what the eveneing is for.
latest report
A big lunch tends to kill my day so I prefer two or three quick Coca Cola/hot choccie/espresso breaks and make sure I eat loads at breakfast. TBH I get cranky when sat around for too long. Must learn to relax! rolling eyes
snow report
Snickers instead of a germknoedel?!!! Has everyone gone stark raving mad?!!
latest report
Gatorade or equivalent in the camelback Smile
snow report
When I ski in Switzerland its different to how its going to be in VT - In switzerland we are literally always about 20-40 paces away from our appartment. Though of course we don't always want to be going back there because it cuts into skiing time. So our day pans out that I start with Hot cereal pumped as much as they will consume into the kids along with a hot drink - I tend to have what their having with a cup of coffee. Then we go out to ski and the kids have ski school. I take screw topped plastic ex. squash bottles full of dilute fruit cordial out with us in a rucksack and plenty of mini bars - usually twixs, kitkats and mars. The kids are bought in for half time to have water and a biscuit by the ski school so I don't usually have to worry about them in the morning. DH looks after the bag whilst he sits and drinks coffee and reads. Then the kids return around midday and we all disappear into the appartment for lunch. Lunch usually consists of hot things that I can tip out of a tin with Bread and Butter. Things like ravioli, bangers'n'beans, spaghetti hoops etc. and hot drinks. Then after about an hour its out to ski until 4pm when the lifts stop. The 4 children and sometimes the 2 husbands if the kids can rope them in then play in the snow whilst myself and my friend get dinners in our respective appartments unless we are eating raclette or fondue together. Sometimes the kids are happy to play by themselves - they know the way into the appartment and I can see them from my window and my friends appartment has french windows which open onto the play are so they are quite safe, however, this doens't necessarily imply help from my DH in doing the dinner rolling eyes

In VT Very Happy I SHALL BE MY OWN BOSS Very Happy I will have plenty of cereal and bread and jam and a cup of coffee for breakfast. Then hit the slopes with something to last the day. I hoped packed lunch isn't for losers though. I'll probably take sarnies with local bread and cheese, a litre bottle of dilute squash, and a local cake for lunch - these should fit into a small rucksack - I've got a nice one the shop gave me with my boots. For snacks during the day I'll probably have some sort of choccie based bar, but Horrors!! it won't be a Snickers, as I'm not overkeen on any nuts full stop and can't stand peanuts!! Then in the evening I'm going to raid the local shops for something to go with dried rice or pasta. I think pasta could be good for energy the next day, though I may also try making one of these tartiflette things one night if I can find the cheese.

I don't know how you all drink 2 litres of water a day and don't spend half you life in search of the nearest loo rather than skiing!!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 7-01-08 22:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Bones, Doesn't that get a bit sticky and mouldy? I recently unpacked my waterbladder after the biking season and even with only water it was looking pretty nasty Skullie
snow report
pom potes!!!!
ski holidays
Quote:
super-snowHead
Location: London/CardiffBones, Doesn't that get a bit sticky and mouldy? I recently unpacked my waterbladder after the biking season and even with only water it was looking pretty nasty

I'd agree with Bones that gatorade or energy -powder in the camel-bak works a treat.
I mix it half strength, otherwise I get a bit fed up with the sweetness.

Storage ;
keep it in the freezer (in the UK) coz nothing grows when its freezing.
Clean it now and then with the sterilising tablets used for baby bottles.
snow conditions
I find a bottle of h2o and a bag of bannana chips does the job
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
saxabar wrote:
Bones, Doesn't that get a bit sticky and mouldy? I recently unpacked my waterbladder after the biking season and even with only water it was looking pretty nasty Skullie
Not sure what you do, but I find that washing my camelback out after I use it is a good thing to do! Just an idea Toofy Grin
latest report
Renry wrote:
I find a bottle of h2o and a bag of bannana chips does the job
Banana chips OK. Just don't hit on the idea of eating a bag of dried apricots. They give you lots of energy, but not in the places you really wanted to have energy Shocked
snow report
Megamum wrote:
In switzerland we are literally always about 20-40 paces away from our appartment...

Are you sure you are actually skiing? 40 paces? I know that Resort X is allegedly compact, but shome mishtake shurely Mish Megamum....

WRT a bittle of diluted cordial, that's fine, but just remember not to fall over and break it - they don't make plastic bottles like they used to, and Ribena all down your Orange kit will look most unsightly, plus it is a tricky little sucker to wash out....
snow report
Guvnor wrote:
Megamum wrote:
In switzerland we are literally always about 20-40 paces away from our appartment...

Are you sure you are actually skiing?
Surely a few noughts have been left off - 20-4,000 paces would be more like it.
ski holidays
Hot bowl of soup does me just fine for lunch. If nothing else its a chance to get inside and warm up Toofy Grin And hot choccie stops snowHead
latest report
I mean in terms of the sort of distance you have to walk once you ski as close as you can get. All the runs come down literally to the front. doorsteps of the appartmentseverytime you come down you end up at the appartments - the only thing you need to take your skis off for is the walk across the down the steps and carpark to the ski store in the basement.
latest report
I dont like long lunches, an hour at max.

I like to maximise my skiing, but i will sit down to a meal every lunchtime. It is apart of the holiday soaking up some sun while eating beautiful cuisine.
latest report
Having just come back from the Dolomites it would be a crime not to stop for lunch at one of the lovely restaurants dotted everywhere. I am fit and could ski hard and fast all day but it is good to have a break as it is a holiday and not an endurance event/adventure race! My fiance would not be too happy if we didn't stop either although last week on our last day were skied through lunch on a diet of apples and cereal bars. But it was a powder day with blue skies. Also on Saturday when I did the Sellaronda I skied without a break (bar the lifts) covering 63km of slopes.

In some resorts the mountain food is over priced and the restaurants are crowded and noisy but not in the Dolomites, I've never had such good mountain food before either in the resort or down in the resort (Ortisei).
ski holidays
Peter Ross, I remember you asking for advice before your trip to Italy. Glad you enjoyed the Dolomites and found time to sample the excellent mountain restaurants, I once stopped for a simple burger at the Rifugio Forcelles above Colfosco, it was the best I have ever tasted.
snow conditions
Hi luigi, thanks for the info you gave me.

Yes, we had a wonderful time, I was very surprised how good the snow was from snow making alone. The scenery is amazing and the food everywhere superb. I think Ortisei was a good base as it has the most happening and character about the town and is well connected to the rest of Val Gardena and the Sellaronda by bus and lift.

I have some videos on youtube from the trip at this link

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=34416

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 9-01-08 18:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Really fancy the idea of a trip to the Dolomites next season.
snow conditions
when im on a weekender i buy a pack of sliced cheese a pack of ham a french stick and a bottle of water and put them all in my backpack. I then make the roll up in the gondola and wash it all down with water, not wasting skiing time, cheap as you'll get and quite tasty too. only downside is all the crumbs at the bottom of the back pack!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy