Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt for next New Year

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back from Kaprun and looking to go to Zermatt next New Year.

We are a family of 5, all intermediates with a 6 year old who needs ski school.

I fancy travelling independantly and staying in a high quality hotel (with pool ideally)

Any advice gratefully received.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lucky you, I have just returned from New Year in Zermatt at the more budget end of the spectrum and had a magical time.

The skiing and town are fabulous. The world is your lobster if you are looking at the top end with spa facilities. The Hotel Alex is a favourite for many, it has a pool and great bar and though in a quiet pocket it is only a couple of minutes from the action and the Gornergrat lift. The Mont Cervin looked like the dog's bo**ox and if you stay there or at the Zermatterhof and a few other hotels then your kids will have the fairytale experience of being met at the station by a coach and horses which will whisk you off to your hotel. The reviews of the Zermatterhof are a little mixed; whilst indisputably luxurious it is very formal with dress requirements etc and some people seem to find it starchy and stand offish unless you happen to be European royalty.

New Years Eve was terrific. The fireworks surpassed Disney's best efforts by a country mile and the Church Square had a DJ and was thronged with champagne swigging happy shiny people having fun.

I recommend booking ski lessons very early as we heard many people complaining on the lifts that they had left it too late and the schools were booked up. Stoked have an excellent reputation but to be fair I think each school is good. I think one reason the instructors get booked up is due to the wealth of many people in resort at this costly time; most instructors we saw were with 1 or 2 people only and the group lessons that are the norm in other resorts I have visited were much less evident although they are offered.

The Zermatt tourism website offers good information about hotels and you can click onto their own websites to get a better idea.

Travelling independently is a doddle with so many flights going to Geneva. You can either hire a car there (and park it at Tasch for the week) or take advantage of the Swiss Rail Transfer Ticket. This is only available in advance from the UK and is cheap and flexible.

We loved the whole experience so much we are plotting our return next year at the same time. Costs in resort were surprisingly reasonable so if you can be tempted out of your lovely hotel you won't end up bankrupted by £8 cokes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stay in a hotel within 300 meters of a major skilift.

The skibuses suck. They will waste your vacation.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Check out the website of Summit Ski School, (www.summitskischool.com) a modern English speaking ski school. You can take regular lessons or choose to focus on a specific area. They also limits the number in the groups to 6 so you don't get those big long lines where only the first few people can hear, they are the only ski school to guarantee that!

I can highly reccommend that ski school and Zermatt as a resort, stacks of things to do both on the piste and in the village. Can't comment on hotels as I usually stay with my brother (... handy to have family that live in a ski resort!). We've just booked Zermatt for Christmas 2008.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
New Year

Take body armour

Rockets flying everywhere - mostly horizontal - mostly supplied by Russian visitors from National service days it seems...

Buses where fine this year. Never queued at 8.30 for lift up, organised queue going home, never more than 3 buses wait (20mins?) at 4-5pm going home

Never queued on the mountain. new years day we had to ourselves from 8.30 to 11am then pretty quiet
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy