Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

alpe d'huez recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
yippee!!!
have just booked alpe d'huez for feb half and would like to know recommendations for family restaurants,ski schools and favourite runs.We are a group of 9 (4 adults 5kids) of all abilities.
Is it true that speedos are compulsary for the pool ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes they are. Though you can hire them if you want to be a total minger. Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skitrish,

Just back from Alpe D and loved it! We stayed in Bergers area. Restaurant wise we loved the Taverne Lowenbrau - tasty, noisy, relaxed and friendly. I Got thumped in the back by the waiter in Le Templin (other side of bergers) for standing in his way by accident - therefore steer clear of those grumpy so and sos!

Pizza Roll in the centre is a tasty cafe style takeaway - great for post ice skating munchies.

ESF were completely ace with my little girl (age 5) who can now ski really well. My wife and bro were in level 1 with ESf and a top instructor called Frank Hargreaves (a frenchman with an English granfather)!

As for runs - I suppose that depends on your ability. However for me

From Marmottes II Clocher de macle (Black) - Deversoir (red) - La Vachettes (Blue) back to Bergers

From Pic Blanc - Sarenne is an easy Black - just make sure you keep your speed up near the end of else you will be poling back to the chair lift. also the blue runs up there are lovely - wide and fast with great views.

From DMC - any run down to Oz en Oisans

From Signal to Villard reculas - La Foret (Black) - a shade mogully though.

For me La Balme was tough - very mogully black. Although I did overlook the big sign saying piste difficile.

We will deffo return - hopefully this year!

Have a great time

Cheers

Matt snowHead

PS Waiter in Le Tremplin got a right dig back!!! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
if you want to avoid crowds get away from the bowl immediately above the resort. Mattmulkeen has listed lots of the good stuff but also check out the Montfrais area. Not too crowded; fun skiing and a couple of nice restaurants. The area around Auris is a bit hit and miss but when the snow is good it has some fun skiing and trees which are quite a rare commodity in ADH
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, I realised about the moguls on la Foret about half way down. The Restaurant at the bottom at Villard Reculas is a nice spot.

Restaurant L'Epicier (I think) was very good and friendly. It's in the shopping arcade (far end) next to the ice rink. Kids enjoyed Fondue and Raclette, but they have a big menu with meat and potato wedge type things too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks,thats just the sort of help i was looking for.Our party has 2 nervous/untried skiiers,will they need a full lift pass or are there some free lifts on the nursery slopes ?

tia
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think there are about 2 freebie lifts for beginners. Those *may* do them for the first day but unless they are very nervous they'll be onto bigger and better things fairly quickly
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skitrish,

Lots of green runs stretching across the mountain just in front of adh. Perfect for beginners, those in search of confidence and the lazy (like me). If you avoid the greens in the middle (i.e. below the DMC lift) and ski across to either side, the runs tends to be much emptier.

Blacks: Sarenne - q easy although there are a few steepish sections at the top. Apart from that no probs. Well worth doing on a clear day. When we did it you could see for 60-70 km. Watch out for rocks on some sections. Chateau Noir v similar (overlaps). La Fare (on the Vaujany/Montfrais side) is q easy although I`m told it can be unpleasant when icy. La Foret is hard work. Mogully and steep in parts but the difficult stretches are short. My kids whizzed down it. I picked my way down rather gingerly. One of our group slid 80-90 metres down it. Effective but not elegant. The Tunnel is supposed to be tough but I`ve never done it (nor do I intend to).
Reds: lots of them. Les Rousses (connects DMC2 to Alpette) is a lovely run crossing the mountain from the adh side towards the Alpette/Vaijany side. It`s much easier since they flattened/widened the steep section just above the Alpette gondola. The Chamois can also be fun. The red run from the Belle Dome (think it`s called the Belvedere) is stunning in good weather. Really a blue. The Alpette run from the Alpette lift to Oz is good - provided it`s not crowded - also the snow can get a bit iffy down towards Oz. The red run down the Signal into adh is good for a blast. However, should you face plant - you will do so in full view of half of the resort.
Blues: the runs from Alpette down to & around Montfrais are all good and not difficult. There`s a very nice blue run from Poutran 1 down to Oz (much quieter than the red run heading down to Oz from Poutran 1). You should also try the runs off the Signal down towards V Reculas (Petit Prince) - v flattering.

Mountain restaurants: Just about all of them are decent. Our current favourite is Les Airelles which is on the blue (actually just off on the left hand side) of the run from Alpette down to Montfrais. Perce Neige at Poutran 1 can be very good too. The restaurant at the top of the Signal (can`t remember name - get off chair or drag - ski to the left and over a hump - not visible from lifts) is pretty good. The Lac du Besson is excellent - can now be accessed from the Chamois. Also the place just down from the Alpette lift on the left - does reasonable omelettes and salads.

Ski schools: ESF usually get good reports but - not always. I guess so much is down to the individual teachers. Our kids 1st learnt to ski in adh and got on pretty well.

There`s a British outfit - Masterclass - who are highly spoken of. Everyone advises booking them well in advance - that would apply more so this year because one of their number is laid up with an injury.

Incidentally, speedos are compulsory !

May see you at half term.

Have a great time.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I thought the restaurant below Alpette on left, although nice, was expensive with small portions. Then again, I like big portions, hence the size I am.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It is fairly expensive - but no more so than most. Generally, we have found the mountain restaurants relatively reasonably priced - but `relative` is perhaps the operative word.

I must say that I`ve always found the portions to be more than adequate ! But then again, I`m a 9 stone weakling.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beetle, All the restaurants have small portions! or is that just me? Now get back to work!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nonsense.

Just your hearty appetite Nick.

Mind you, given the weight of your skis, I`m not surprised.

Having trouble adjusting to `work`. Still, only 20 days before the next trip...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy