Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Baggage allowance ect..........what is allowed?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I wondered if I could get a definitive list of what you can/can't take away.........I missed last year, and am not sure on the dos and don'ts......

We are travelling from Gatwick to Geneva with Nielson as our tour operators..........

I am confused because there was a bit on the news this morning about how things are returning to normal and that we can take 2 bits of hand luggage..........does that mean 1 in the hold and 1 carry on??

we are off on Saturday.........can't wait!!!!!!! Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
According to the BBC news, Gatwick is one of the airports that has not had the green light to allow extra handluggage....so you'll still only be allowed one bag carry on.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Elizabeth B, thanks, but can I still have one in the hold as well?? or is it just a rucksack ?? Puzzled Blush
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd have thought that you can have 1 in the hold. You may be able to have more, but you'd have to check with Nielson.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Elizabeth B, thanks for replying ,Elizabeth, I will try them..........
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Anyone know what Air Canada's allowance is now? Their website makes no mention of the changes today, but for the rest of world they do allow 2 bits of hand luggage (so you'd imagen that it would mean that it would go back up to 2 now the rules are less strict.

Flying from T3 at Heathrow on monday (and having spent half the morning on the phone to them trying to pre book my skis (and forgot to ask my other questions) I dont fancy going through that horrid call center again!

Im allready planing to take the biggest case, and biggest bag possible for hand lugage, but being able to take my small rucksack as well would make quite a difference to the amount of kit i can cram in!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gatwick - 1 in the hold 1 hand luggage. No liquids above 100ml in hand luggage. Make up small bottles of stuff etc fine as long as under 100ml and you put it in a plastic bag that they hand out before you go.

USUALLY 20kg hold luggage ( it will say on your tickets)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Except Ryanair who allow only 15kg.
And as has been pointed out in another thread - many (most?) airports and airlines ban ski boots in hand luggage but none i have looked at of the airlines and airports who do so state this in their websites - which is asking for trouble.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowball wrote:
many (most?) airports and airlines ban ski boots in hand luggage.
Except I took boots in hand luggage through Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted (actually returning only) and Luton last year, on BA, Easyjet, First Choice(?), Air Astraeus, Excel.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
GrahamN, its a long shot, but are you the same Graham that bumped into 3 snowboarding firemen 2 years ago? if not sorry Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stedlocks, if so then it was insufficiently memorable for me to have any recollection of it. Sorry likewise Wink . Two years ago though....if it was on a plane, I would probably then not have had my boots in hand luggage, but rather been actually wearing them Very Happy .
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the_fatadder wrote:
Anyone know what Air Canada's allowance is now? Their website makes no mention of the changes today, but for the rest of world they do allow 2 bits of hand luggage (so you'd imagen that it would mean that it would go back up to 2 now the rules are less strict.

Correct - the one hand baggage rule was nothing to do with the airlines (although some only allow one piece) but to do with security restrictions at airports.

snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GrahamN, no worries dude.............if you were female you would of remembered Very Happy

i can't believe I just admitted to fraternising with a skiier............ Razz
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the_fatadder wrote:

I was having a look on their website yesterday and couldn't see anything. The thought occurred to me to call them up but then I'd just end up talking to Rose or James in Delhi and I doubt they would have any more info than is already on the website. We're flying out on Saturday so I'm hoping that they are just a bit slow in updating their policies and will have it sorted by the end of the week.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GrahamN wrote:
snowball wrote:
Except I took boots in hand luggage through Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted (actually returning only) and Luton last year, on BA, Easyjet, First Choice(?), Air Astraeus, Excel.
Yes, so did I last year (and before) but rules have changed this year.
ski holidays
geetee, This copied from my e-ticket:

Carry-On Baggage Policy
Quote:
Oversized carry-on bags are not permitted on our aircraft, and may cause flight delays for all passengers. Please ensure your carry-on bags are inside the maximum allowed size as indicated below; they are required to fit in the double-size verification device at check-in or boarding time.

Items which fall within the 2-piece carry on allowance include: One (1) carry-on bag or suitcase (wheels and handles includes in the size) and one (1) personal article like a briefcase, laptop computer, diaper bag, camera case, cartons or other similar item. Learn more about Carry-On Baggage restrictions.

Maximum Size Maximum Weight
1 standard article 23cm x 40cm x 55cm
9" x 15.5" x 21.5" 10 kg
22 lbs

1 personal article 16cm x 33cm x 43cm
6" x 13" x 17" 10 kg
22 lbs

Checked Baggage Policy

Ensure your checked bags are properly identified. Please do not pack valuables in your checked baggage. The baggage allowance rules stated herein do not apply to passengers who have specifically declined the checked baggage option. Learn more about Checked Baggage restrictions.

Economy Class
Up to 2 bags Maximum overall measurement (Length + Width + Height) 158cm
62" 23 kg
Maximum Weight 50 lbs - Bags weighing between 24kg - 32kg (51 lbs - 70 lbs) will be subject to excess fees payable at the airport.

Executive Class
Executive First
Up to 3 bags 158cm
62" 23 kg
50 lbs Total weight of the three bags must not exceed 69kg (150lbs).

Note:
Checked baggage above 32 kg (70 lbs) will not be accepted.
Baggage allowances, including those for children, may vary on Star Alliance partners for connecting or return flights, or for travel within Europe, Africa or Australia. Please contact the Star Alliance partner for further information.
snow conditions
Air canada sporting goods policy:

Quote:
Sports Equipment

If checked in separately, each item within the sports equipment category is considered a piece of baggage. An excess piece fee will be collected at the airport for each piece that exceeds the free baggage allowance.

Effective immediately, customers are asked to register their sports equipment online at the time of booking or via the Air Canada call centre. By registering prior to check-in, passengers will benefit from applicable waivers on:

the excess piece fee(s) for hockey sticks, ski boots, and snowboard boots; and
the oversize fee for skis, snowboards, hockey sticks, and hockey bags.

Customers who elect not to register their sporting equipment will be subject to all applicable excess piece and oversize fees when checking in at the airport on the day of departure. When checked in separately, each item within the sports equipment category is considered one (1) piece of baggage. An excess piece fee will be collected at the airport for each piece that exceeds the free baggage allowance.

Exceptions when pre-registered:
The excess piece fee is waived for up to 2 hockey sticks (when taped together and carried as a separate piece) and for a pair of ski boots or snowboard boots (when carried as one (1) single, separate piece and when carried along with other related sports equipment such as skis or a snowboard).*
The oversize fee is waived for skis, snowboards, hockey sticks, and hockey bags if used to carry hockey equipment.**
*Each piece must adhere to the weight limit of 23kg (50lb) and the size and limit of 160 linear cm (63 in). Pieces exceeding these limits are subject to oversize and/or overweight fees.

**No piece may exceed a weight of 32kg (70lb) or linear dimensions (L+W+H) of 292 cm (115 in) or a length of 203 cm (80 in). Please contact Air Canada Cargo for shipping of such pieces.

I'm glad i'm flying with BA. Skis and boots are free, they just don't guarentee to get any luggage to the destination airport at the same time as the passenger Sad
snow conditions
Sage, thanks Sage. I'll check what I've got Very Happy Mr Geetee wants to take his laptop (well I say wants, more like has to because of work) and would like to be able to take a small backpack too.
snow report
Sage, the_fatadder, from the Air Canada website

London Heathrow - revised cabin baggage allowances effective 7 Jan 2008

The UK Department for Transport is revising the cabin baggage allowances for all departures from London Heathrow as follows:

Executive First: Two (2) items (23 cm x 40 cm x 55 cm) of cabin baggage will be permitted through security, plus one (1) additional personal item.
Economy Class: One (1) item (23 cm x 40 cm x 55 cm) of cabin baggage will be permitted through security, plus one (1) additional personal item.

A personal item is defined as a purse, briefcase, laptop or diaper bag. Laptops in a thin satchel and slim line briefcases are also considered a personal item however laptops in larger computer bags and larger, bulkier briefcases are counted as one piece of cabin baggage.

Liquid, gel and aerosol restrictions in cabin baggage - existing liquid, gel and aerosol restrictions - in compliance with the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) regulation - will remain unchanged.

Here's the link
http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/trav_adv/080108_uk.html
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
GrahamN wrote:
snowball wrote:
Yes, so did I last year (and before) but rules have changed this year.

My wife and I took our boots in our hand luggage on a Ryanair flight from Stansted to Salzburg and back last week, with no problems or questions at either end. My bag was clealy a boot bag carrying boots, so as long as it fits in the size restrictions, you should have no problem at Stansted.
ski holidays
ousekjarr, I think you were lucky there. Usually it is down to the vagaries of the security wombles and not the check-in staff. The humourless Bar stewards at Liverpool apply a random policy where ski boots in hand luggage is concerned Evil or Very Mad
latest report
For anyone interested, I just called Ryanair re bagage weight. Having bought the sports equipment extra, I am allowed an up to 15kg bag/suitcase, plus one sports equiment bag of 32kg max....
I clearly asked if the 32kg included the original 15kg allowance, and the answer was no...so 15 +32 it is...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy