Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski maintenance: what can I do myself in resort and who should do the rest?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm dipping my toe in the tuning world (well, maintenance in my case) and got a few bits from Spyderjon for Christmas - side edge guide, diamond file, alu-oxide, gummi stone and fluid, and am considering whether to go the whole hog with vices, iron etc. In the more immediate future though, I'm heading to Chamonix next Sunday for four weeks, so obviously need some ski maintenance done while I'm out there.

In terms of waxing, I've just stuck an order in for a Notwax Pocket Puck to help a bit, but things like hot-waxing, repairs etc will need a shop - not really practical for me to consider this in situ - so could do with some recommendations on where to get it done.

For edges, is it worth me trying to do some basic edge maintenance without vices, or is this doomed to failure? I know others have recommended taking an Edge Trick Tool for this sort of thing, but can I not use my bits as listed above, or are they not suitable?

Cheers,
Phil.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PhilG, take your stuff and you should be able to do any routine maintenance you need. While vices make things easier, they're not really necessary for an edge touch up. I've also done base filling just on the ski room floor without too much trouble (just as well - one Dec in Vd'I the snow cover was so variable I was filling rock holes in bases every evening), but that is getting a bit keen. Depending on where you are stay though you may have a ski room with a bench and iron in situ (or you may end up skiing with someone who does, so could blag it) so you could then do your own waxing, which is about the easiest job there is. Alternatively - pay up the €5-10 once a week and save the aggro.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As above, and most ski rooms have a tatty old chair that you can use to balance the ski across the arms whilst you work on it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys, will give it a go for the edge stuff. Any suggestions anyone for good maintenance places in Cham for stuff I can't do myself?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy