Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rear entry boots - history lesson please.

Poster: A snowHead
Is there a record for the length of time between the apparent last post of a thread and the sudden bumping of it? 2 years 8 months in this instance rolling eyes
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is there a record for the length of time between the apparent last post of a thread and the sudden bumping of it? 2 years 8 months in this instance rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ccl, it was a spammer, but I recall one about 4 years old by a real newbie
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowheads@neater.co.uk, I saw CEM today. His view of my old boots was that they were good boots in their time, but that
time was long, long ago, they are now only fit for the bin.

interestingly he's put me in another pair of Salomons, Impact 10cs, but a full size smaller than the old ones.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Spud9. Looking at pics on the web it's not obvious to me how they are any different from any standard modern boot that I have tried without success from hire shops - in terms of holding the heel down. Maybe I'll go and have a play in a couple of shops. It'll take something to prise me away from my SX91s though !
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My first ever boots were a pair of RE Nordica's, bought in Nevis Sport on Sauchiehall St in Glasgow. From memory they had a big vertical hinged clip at the back that you pulled down to tense the cables that held the boot together, and a ratchet dial on there to up the tension and pull my heel down. It also had a switch with three setting of flex at the front.

I can remember them being really comfy, and easy to loosen for the walk across town at the end of the day. I'm not sure how they would impact my skiing these days though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I skied in leather lace up boots, changed to 4 clip leather boots, then 4 clip plastic -A huge improvement- then to rear entry, mainly because of marketing and fashion- you looked as out of place in clip boots then as you would now in rear entry's. By the time I changed to Rear entry's they were excellent. easy to put on and dials to tighten internal plates to tighten them up. I changed back to 4 clip boots when fashion and marketing told me I had to, and my guess would be that it is only a matter of time till we are all being told we need to change again!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DaveMcSki wrote:
I skied in leather lace up boots, changed to 4 clip leather boots, then 4 clip plastic -A huge improvement- then to rear entry, mainly because of marketing and fashion- you looked as out of place in clip boots then as you would now in rear entry's. By the time I changed to Rear entry's they were excellent. easy to put on and dials to tighten internal plates to tighten them up. I changed back to 4 clip boots when fashion and marketing told me I had to, and my guess would be that it is only a matter of time till we are all being told we need to change again!

Agreed - I hope you're looking forward to going back to leather boots again! wink Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowheads@neater.co.uk, only just come back into this from holiday but my best guess about why you find you do not get heel hold down in a 4 clip boot but do in the rear entry is this..... you either have a large calf muscle or a tight calf muscle> why do i think this?

with the rear entry boot closing form the rear, you only tighten it up to the point where it is tight on the calf muscle, it closes onto the back of the leg and there may even be a gap in front of your shin in the boot when you stand... the diagonal heel hold down cable strangles the foot back into the heel pocket and as the boot is only clipped top your calf your heel remains down..... a 4 clip boot has a fixed rear cuff which wants to hold the foot at a fixed angle of forward lean, if your ankle doesn't bend to a sufficient angle or your calf muscle is large then your heel will lift and will not feel secure

solution.... correct size and shape of boot, custom footbed, possible heel lift installed in the boot, and plenty of stretching for the calf muscles (and a rearward flare on the boot if the calf muscle is big)

but all this is speculation without seeing your feet
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As a tribute to those SX90s, here is a video of Marc winning his first ever WC race on them in 83:

http://youtube.com/v/0vVBjxYpMiw
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CEM, That's a really interesting explanation, and I am wondering if that's why I find my Full Tilt boots hold my thin ankle/heel in place so well, as there seems to be a similar closing system in that the lower leg-buckle draws in an inner shell against the back of the leg before the rest of the boot tightens up fully? Not sure this is correct, but love my boots and it’s taken me years to find such a comfortable pair for skinny lower legs and narrow feet! My brother swears by his rear entry boots. He bought them just as they were going out of fashion and has no desire to change them.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No clue how old this thread is, but I used rear entry boots twenty or so years back, and dont remember ever feeling uncomfortable in them or having any sort of problems really. Wish I could say the same for clip boots, but I cant. They are a load of work and very unforgiving. So. I have just bought a few pairs of RE boots on eBay to see if my memory has been clouded over the years and am glad to say it has not. RE boots are scrummy Smile
Here is a little video that gives a good idea of why I like them so much.
View My Video

These Nordicas were top end-ish and have quite a low volume shell, so I can keep the tensioning cables fairly slack. Heel hold is as good as my Full Tilt Konflicts, but not as good as my Technica something or others.

One of the nicest features is the way loosening the adjustment for walking allows me to walk with a more upright stance as the backs hinge outward. Great apres-ski boots Smile

I just wish they were still made so I could grab a new pair with new plastic. Modern technology should ensure better products too.
Maybe someday.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think that's possibly the saddest video I've ever seen. I want to help somehow but I don't know how. Maybe the problem is just too big. I feel helpless, inadequate.

valmorel, Welcome. A great first post.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FraserP wrote:
One thing though... early last year I was at Castlefield Xscape. I saw a guy wearing a old pair of Salomon 70's. About 10ms into a run he seemed to fall over. What had actually happened was that both his boots had shattered. Shards of plastic all over the place and he was left spinning down the slopes on his boot liners!

cameras should be installed to capture these magic moments for youtube!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I saw a guy skiing at Hemel tonight with an immaculate pair of Salomon SX60's on, he couldn't ski for toffee. I bet his feet were comfy though. Laughing

valmorel, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
latest report
Spyderman wrote:
I saw a guy skiing at Hemel tonight with an immaculate pair of Salomon SX60's on, he couldn't ski for toffee. I bet his feet were comfy though. Laughing

DG?
snow report
Martin Bell wrote:
As a tribute to those SX90s, here is a video of Marc winning his first ever WC race on them in 83:

1983 looks like a different sport to today

are the gates set much differently today than back then?

He is on 1 ski most of the time and stepping into the turn alot

would the old boots with new style ski work at all?
snow conditions
Colin B wrote:
Spyderman wrote:

DG?

No, I saw his boots explode at Hemel during the first snowHeads bash. Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
just youtube searched.... not lol though Sad

http://youtube.com/v/n23yT7CWHuQ
snow report
Quote:

not lol though

oh, I dunno, made me chuckle.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:
Quote:

not lol though

oh, I dunno, made me chuckle.

I wanted a real expolsion..... pulling bits out of eyes kind of thing
latest report
czl, yes, that would've been super Shocked
snow report
Thanks for the welcome Guys, seems like a friendly place Smile
ski holidays
My SX 91s were fantastic and have only recently, reluctantly gone to the plastic recycler in the sky. Loved them. Easy on, easy off, zip to change flex as and when..........................................
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy