Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginners question about snowboarding protection

Poster: A snowHead
I am about to go for my first week of snowboarding and want to reduce the chances of getting myself too battered!

What protection should I get and should I buy it before I go, or get in the resort (Val Thorens)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get yourself a pair of impact shorts can get them off ebay for about 20 or 30 quid. Can hire a helmet in resort when hiring equipment
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
goldeneye243, Have a good read through Masque's 'Boarding for Beginners' thread but suffice to say butt protection, knee pads and perhaps wrist guards are in order.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have a look here too:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=33977

padding for the ar$e essential!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wristguards, I've met plenty of boarders with broken wrists and the one thing they all have had in common, No wristguards.
Coccyx protection, and something else to consider, you might need larger gloves and pants to accomodate these.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Padded lycra shorts a must have, helmet probably so, not convinced about wrist gaurds because they may give you a false sense of security when you fall and make you put your hands out when falling
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bend your knees (less distance to fall) and a helmet.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Leave your pride at home! you won't need it when your face down in the snow Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rayscoops wrote:
not convinced about wrist gaurds because they may give you a false sense of security when you fall and make you put your hands out when falling

I agree... learning to fall properly will protect you far more. Tuck, duck and roll - never shove your arms out.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I now have about 5 days of snowboarding under my belt and I am starting to link my turns. The only protection I have is wrist guards (can't fight the instinct of putting the arm out at the mo..). I have had a few painful falls but never bothered with padded shorts...TBH, always thought it was a bit over the top and not really an essential.. Am i wrong? Confused

Also , although I have genuinely been looking at buying one, all helmets seem so uncomfortable to me, I can't bring myself to getting one.. Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kruisler, Do it ! There are some really good looking ones out there and it helped my confidence no end.
In fact i have this morning I have ordered myself a new funky R.E.D hifi one to go with my new jacket and trousers Razz
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kruisler wrote:
can't fight the instinct of putting the arm out at the mo..). I have had a few painful falls but never bothered with padded shorts...TBH, always thought it was a bit over the top and not really an essential.. Am i wrong? Confused Puzzled

Fight the instinct. Don't put it off, learn now. Fight it. Fight it again. Then fight it some more. If you don't, sooner or later you will wish you had. I learned the hard way (coulda been worse but my arm still hurts sometimes - a year after my mistake). Seriously, this is something you should do now.

As for padded shorts, I suppose they're completely pointless until you hurt your coccyx. I don't wear one, but I probably should. I remember one guy on the transfer coach back to the airport last year who had broken his - he walked like he'd been sharing his a cell with a large friendly man called Bubba and admitted to being in a fair amount of pain.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kruisler, when I learned to board I had no safety gear, it had not snowed for 10 days in Tignes and it was hard packed conditions. I landed on my ar$e so badly that an entire buttock became jet black and I could not walk (not even Bubba is so cruel), since then i have always worn padded shorts. After a few weeks i became a bit over confident and decided I could ride very very fast on flat areas and nearly knocked my self out loads of times - so i got a helmet.

I would suggest you cut out the pain bit and get these things in the first place Very Happy I would say though that I have not really had the falls since buying the gear to really justify wearing the gear now, but I just feel comfortable in it and it keeps my a$se and head warm. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
goldeneye243, fat, lard, or if your in shape, muscle..
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I dont have padded shorts- I wish I had when I was learning. I second rayscoops, black back bottom comments, I looked like I'd been set about by a Glaswegian baggage handler.

Wrist guards - DO IT, i didnt wear them and came a cropper, had to have wrist strapped up all day for 3 weeks! ( with supposedly no boarding or skiing!)

Knee pads, I need these for all the times I sit on my knees looking up the mountain for my boyfriend. He is so slow. Also handy when at home and cleaning the kitchen floor etc.
snow conditions
When I learnt (on a dry slope) I wore two pairs of trousers over a pair of shorts and cut a section of karrimat to fit around my back bottom/coccyx. This seemed to work quite well as a budget protection device.

Wristguards are contriversial with people either very for or very against. Ideally you shouldn't be putting your hands out when you slam but and this is very true when starting out, sometimes it's unavoidable. I wear gloves that contain flexable guards. I think if you go with them it's important to have ones that bend otherwise there's a very real chance of transfering the shock up your arm and breaking something else. I'm sure mine have saved my wrists at least twice and they're the only bit of protective kit I wear.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the advice, certainly seems worth taking some protection, I think I will probably go for most of it!

Is it worth getting it before I go, or getting it at the resort?
ski holidays
Get it now, as the resorts usually carry dead expensive stuff. Motocross and BMX stuff is just as good as anything.

Coccyx protection is a deffo. Wristguards are good but as someone's said, they give you a false sense of security.

If in doubt, crash into a German, as they are usually well padded with sausage fat and have beer bellies. Smile
snow conditions
impact shorts definite have nt got them yet but dumped myself over a week ago came back on Sunday couldn't sit properly for 2 flights and a train journey and can t really go up stair s at the moment without wincing so easy and cheap to get shud of got them long before now because at some stage your gonna drop yourself on your ass on ice or hard pack and it will make you feel like crying dont really like the cell sharing walk ive got at the moment either
latest report
OK, I have invested in a set of Dakine wrist protectors and some red impact shorts. Toying with the idea of knee pads but don't want to feel too trussed up!

Thanks for all the help
ski holidays
goldeneye243 wrote:
OK, I have invested in a set of Dakine wrist protectors and some red impact shorts. Toying with the idea of knee pads but don't want to feel too trussed up!

Thanks for all the help

Buy a lid....you'll regret it if you don't - the first time you end up seeing stars after a nice backslam! Very Happy

Have a good un
snow report
Forgot to mention, getting a helmet with my board hire.
latest report
Quote:

have invested in a set of Dakine wrist protectors and some red impact shorts. Toying with the idea of knee pads but don't want to feel too trussed up!

Thanks for all the help

Go for the knee pads to, they dont have to be flash but when I was learning I caught my toe edge and went down hard onto my knees. Even soft pads on your knees could save you from an injury that could mean you cant board again for the rest of your holiday.

And also they stop your knees getting cold when kneeling in the snow waiting for your mates to catch up! Smile

Have fun, you'll love it
latest report
I dont buy into the wrist guard idea, I think it just increases the chance of breaking a finger rather than a wrist. 1st thing I do to new gloves is rip the wrist guards out of them. Helmet and dainese back protector jacket is the most protection I wear and touch wood it does the job.
snow report
Sorry stab, but, the reasons why some don't buy into the wrist guards make me smile. The worst bone you can break is your wrist, much worse than your arm or your finger?????? There have been many studies done about wrist guards and the conclusion is always the same.
latest report
I broke a wrist 3 times during my skate board hey day, never broke one snowboarding. I must be doing something wrong Laughing
ski holidays
The advice here is for beginners who are the most at danger of wrist injuries. I have never injured myself either and I don't use protection except when boarding on dry slope or freestyle nights at Cas. You skaters are crazy, Shocked it makes me cringe sometimes when I see some of the slams you have with no protection on at all. I know in recent years a lot more do use protection but the ones without are incredibly brave (or should that be stupid). Maybe if you had worn wristguards in your heyday you wouldn't have broken your wrist. wink
snow conditions
I've strong, very thick wrists . . . so I dislocate elbows when I put my hand down . . . f'in sore Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad and taking a soddin' long time to repair
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skidonald, if you do not stick your hands out you will not break your wrist when falling, if you do not wear a wrist guard you will really try not to stick your hands out when falling ...... all in the mind Very Happy
snow conditions
Buy a Helmet and land on that instead Laughing
snow conditions
rayscoops,

That maybe partly true but as a beginner who does not master the art of falling properly (I intend to learn and fight the instinct to extend the arm..),
I'd rather wear wrist guards and break my forearm than my wrist... Granted maybe I'll be a bit less motivated to learn how to fall but not all that much and in the meantime I am well protected..
ski holidays
Sometimes, especially as a beginner when falls aren't anticipated and your arms are all over the place you can't avoid falling onto an outstretched arm. The whole wristguard thing is more contriversial than flows on here!
snow report
maybe just becaaue i never broke a wrist I am a bit biased - famous last words I hope not Very Happy

As long as we do not think to ourselves - 'i have wrist guards therefore I can stick my hands out' we will all be ok, if used properly they are a great idea Very Happy

I went out one day on my last trip without my @rse protection and felt as if I had left behind my mobile phone and watch, I think certain protection requirements are linked to your early stacks, and for me it was falling on my @rse that caused the worst damage. Apart from landing on my head as suggested by a few friends Very Happy
latest report
Quote:
As long as we do not think to ourselves - 'i have wrist guards therefore I can stick my hands out' we will all be ok,

That's the main thing they're just a back up for when it all goes wrong, not the primary protection. I suppose its a bit like a transciever in that respect although obviously the consequences aren't in the same league. Preventing the injury by always trying to fall properly is the key.
ski holidays
Kruisler, Swirly, What they said.
ski holidays
Well, for the third WE in a row I went to try and get a helmet... Skee-tex in Battlesbridge (Essex) this time..
Again without success! Sad
Either it's out of my price range, or they do not have my size! Sad

Since I am off on Wednesday, I think that was my last chance.
I am going to the Skiwelt in Austria. Anyone know if the prices are decent there, or are they extortionate?

I was there last year but never paid attention to the price of equipment in the shops!
ski holidays
Kruisler, Dont know about Austria but I picked up a RED Helmet in LDA last year for the same price as at home
ski holidays
DebbiDoesSnow,

Thanks.

I was having a laugh with the wife saying "Well, I should just accept the signs, I am not meant to have a helmet.."..

She is now dead worried that I am get "banged" on the head! Laughing
ski holidays
DebbiDoesSnow, I bought my helmet in Tignes after banging my head and it was not too expensive, but it is neither red or trendy Blush it was quite cheap though Very Happy
ski holidays
rayscoops, to be honest, I didnt buy it cos of the brand, it was the only helmet that fitted my extraordinarily small head Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy