Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for Advice on the Milky Way, Italy/France

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
In the process of starting research for next year's trip, and could do with some advice on skiing the Milky Way.

Everyone seems to have done all the usual resorts in France, so thought we'd either do Italy or just over the border in Montgenevre.

Anybody been to one or more of the resorts around the Milky Way who can advise which are the better resorts - group is fairly lively and needs a few bars and a nightclub or two if possible, from the ski maps there's plenty to suit everybody's ability but if it makes a difference we're mostly intermediate with a couple at either end of the scale - no complete beginners at present, everyone can get down a blue no problem.

If anyone has stayed at a good chalet or very small chalet-hotel please feel free to chuck some names in there to help me out.

Currently leaning towards Montgenevre as there's a few cheap deals going there, but a bit concerned by "rather cut off from the bulk of the Milky Way pistes. It's best skied by beginners, less confident intermediates and families as a result." from another site, most of our guys are confident intermediates who will want access to more than just the runs in one resort from our experience at Espace Killy.

Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Monium, I went to Montgenevre as a second-weeker 8 years ago, stayed in the now-defunct Airtours Chalet Banino, best left that way.

The skiing was enjoyable, but obviously not as serious as Espace Killy, you can get a long way on skis, but we only made it as far as Claviere and Cesana, food was better on the Italian side. The snow is usually best at Montgenevre, it cops the storms that funnel in from the West.

You could have a good holiday there wiith your mates as company, but if you want a change from France, how about Austria or the Dolomites?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
even though the milky way goes over into france it's really mainly an Italian thing.
From what you say I would suggest that sauze d oulx would be a good option
good skiing, in the center of the milky way, quite few bars/clubs, etc
have a look here for details http://www.sauzeonline.com/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was in Claviere last year.
Liked the skiing, particularly when linked with Montgenevre.
Not a party town.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Stayed in Claviere in 2007 - pretty crap to be honest. The skiing and infrastructure improved significantly on the French side. That said we did not venture that far from Claviere due to kids ski school etc. The skiing around Montgenevre was pretty good from memory but only managed one day there
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Monium, the link in from Montegenevre end is pretty slow aka crap, unless they've upgraded it. If you want some night life go for Sauze but there are a lot of drags, including some crucial ones for getting out of valleys either side. Can be an absolute nightmare if busy. For the best location and lifts Sestriere.

All the other places are just too quiet.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi, we went to Montgenevre several years ago. I only skiied Montgenevre and Claviere, however we were advised if we wanted to go to Sestriere and Sauze D'oulx that it was easier to drive and ski than ski over, takes too long to get there by lift! However they are linked so you can do so if you want. Sestriere is probably the most central place to stay if you do want to venture on skis to the other resorts.

Montgenevre has a couple of clubs and definitely a few bars to keep your group going if you do opt for that resort, we loved it! We stayed in a Crystal Chalet - Chalet Vannoir, it was brilliant 2 mins to the piste, all ensuite rooms, jacuzzi.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy