Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing from Innsbruck - how convenient is it

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
j, thanks for that, I have Googled the funicular like mad and been unable to work out where in Innsbruck it is actually located. I think maybe getting the ski buses looks promising, and I am used to staying in dodgy train station type areas, especially coming from the less salubrious area of sunny Swansea.

So it is the ski bus to Hungerburg which I assume is where the trams head off from to get access to sone white slippy stuff

thanks for the info - everyone Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
OK just spent the weekend in Innsbruck. Since I had car with me, I decided to drive to Zillertal (about 40mins) since I knew the area. Did the Zillertal Arena, which has shedloads of parking and at least 1 ski rental store right by the lift. Saturday is changeover day in Mayrhofen etc., so the road on Sat am was empty going into Zillertal, but a queue of traffic leaving (probably about halfway from Zell am ZIller to the Autobanh). In the evening, and on Sunday, it was clear. Zell am Ziller carparks were maybe 2/3rd full. No queue for lift on Saturday. Small queue going up Sunday, but there was some carnival type sledge-float event down a slalom course, complete with live oompah bands etc. so 3-4pm coming down was a 15min queue due to so many non-skiers/boarders on the mountain too.

Did take a walk around Innsbruck in the evening. Seems the J bus is the most useful... if you have a hotel right in the centre, then this bus goes to Nordpark and to Igls/Patscherkofel, I think every 15mins during the day, and still 1 per hour late at night. Also saw a tram around 9pm headed for Mutters etc. I think the street was Museumstrasse, which seemed to have the most convenient buses/trams (may be wrong). Not sure I'd want to clomp from Bahnhof to the J bus bus stop, and certainly not to the Ski Bus stop for Kuhtai and St.Anton (must be another handy bus/tram from station).

edit: oh and the snow was not bad up on the mountain. nothing in the (very low) valley (fortunately, cos I still have very summer tyres on car). Snowed most of Saturday, and was nice and sunny on Sunday.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I went to Innsbruck and this is a brief comment on what happened

I ended up booking my accomm quite late (day before my flight) so i did not manage to get a hotel near the train station, so i still have no idea exactly where the ski buses etc. go from. Euro 100 twin of 79 single with brekkie

First day arrived by plane from Bristol and I must admit it was one of the best flights / views to be had, flying over snow capped mountains then down through the valley to land right in the center of Innsbruck. The taxi from the airport to my hotel was about Euro 15 and took about 10 minutes. Found the city center tourist office and to be honest they were not that helpful in explaining the ways to access the local resorts, mainly because there are so many resorts maybe. Anyway we found out that you need to hire your gear at the respective resort rather than in Innsbruck itself becasue only a few (two?) hire companies in town. Anyway we decided to get totally plastered from 2 pm until 1 am and got a cab back to the hotel. With our own gear though we could easily have had an afternoon on the piste instead of on the pi$$ Very Happy

Second day, hangover, no gear hired, but I did do a deal with the taxi driver who took us home the night before to drive us to St Anton at 9 am, so we (four of us) headed off to St Anton for Euro 160 one way (one hour), hired our gear and did a good day on the pistes, then took the 10.14 pm train back to Innsbruck (1 hour 15 mins).

Third day headed to local resort Mutters by taxi (15 Euros), hired our gear and bought a day ski pass and skied the Mutters area which is mainly two long (3 or 4 miles long) pistes with a few splits in it, from 1850 m to 850 m and was very icy at the lower parts of the piste and was total cannon snow. Next to Mutters is Igls which gives access to the higher area at 2300 m down to 850 m with a few more smaller runs at the higher altitude 2300 m - 1600m. There are quite a few different resorts that are maybe a Euro 20 taxi ride away which if there are a few of you is quite cheap really.

I would recommend Innsbuck as a weekend/short break resort for the simple fact that I checked out of my hotel at the end of the trip at 10am and had checked my bags in with Easyjet by 10.15 am, fantastic. There is ample skiing and the slopes seemed quite for a Sunday. Beer and food is cheap compared to 'resorts' and if you have your own gear/car it is very convenient indeed. The views all around the city are fantastic

Give it a go Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rayscoops, very tempting Very Happy We flew into Innsbruck at Christmas - it's quite fabulous. Apparently the pilots have to be specially trained to use the airport.

There's an article about staying in and skiing from Innsbruck in this month's Daily Mail magazine which talks about all the resorts accessible from the town. Is Innsbruck fun?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RachelQ, It seemed fun, we found a big bar that brewed their own beer on the first day/night that was bouncing, spent a night in St Anton and the last night we had a few beers after the skiing and then headed to a 'bookies' to watch the footy (Chelsea/Liverpool) and ended up in the same bar again later. There are other bars around too but we never got to them. Everyone seemed friendly (we will talk to anyone though!) and we had a number of a taxi driver and when we rang him he turned up to take us where ever we wanted to go Very Happy. I will be going back there this season becasue it is so convenient and to be honest you could book into an airport hotel and use it as a base (because of all the taxis there) and just get cabs to any of the local resorts. BA fly from Gatwick too so good for any one in the south of England
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy