Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing from Innsbruck - how convenient is it

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I have flights to Inssbruck 8th - 11th Feb and am struggling with getting single accomm in resorts for this period so I am thinking of staying in Innsbruck and use the surrounding smaller ski areas.

Anyone done this, particularly interested to know

1 How easy and convenient is it to get to the resorts on the bus, is a car needed? is a car desirable to leave boots/shoes in etc.
2 Do you hire your gear in Innsbruck and head out in ski boots and gear, or do you hire at the resorts and carry your boots etc.?
3 Is there an apres ski type thing in Innsbruck where people get off the bus and have a few beers

I have only been to resorts whereby I have been a short walk to the ski lifts so I have no idea what to expect

Any advice woiuld be really appreciated, alternatively any one with 3 single rooms in any ski resort a few hours from Innsbruck feel free to PM Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
neeen rayscoops, good idea! You'd need a car for sure but then the Tirol would be your oyster. Alpbach is close (and lovely...) and Soll would be do-able, as I guess would Ishgl & St-A. You'd miss out on the apres-ski a bit.... no dancing in your ski booys til 1.00am if you're driving home...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
red 27, that is my worry, I am so used to kicking off my board, straight to the bar, and if I get back to the hotel to change to go back out I have done well.

There are small resorts 15 minutes or so all around Innsbruck which are the ones I may get the bus to, but I have no idea how it works - walking down the street in Innsbruck in ski boots (my mates anyway Very Happy ) to get the bus???

I am emailing hotels/B&Bs but even if we had a donkey and a pregnant virgin and we were wise, me and my two mates are struggling to find room at the inn Shocked
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rayscoops, Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think there is a skiing resort in Innsbruck itself. The Stubai Glacier should a a bus ride away but I am not sure if there is a service to take you to the bottom of the station 26 miles from Innsbruck. Walking with ski boots does look a bit out of place in most part of Innsbruck.

With acar driving toward the German border in the direction of Munich I think the nearest should be the Zillertal Valley with 650km piste inside. You can hit Fugen 32 miles from Innsbruck.

Next junction should Alpbach which is 36 miles away. Alpbach is very small but good for a day trip

I probably would go no further than Soll in Ski Welt which is 48 miles from Innsbruck.

The opposite direction toward Lichtenstein the nearest could be Solden which is 52 miles from Innsbruck

Futher on Serfaus is 56 miles.

Within 62 miles from Innsbruck you can be in either Ischgl of Silvretta Valley or St Anton of Arlberg Domain.

I am going to Zillertal Valley for a week and then Silvretta Valley for another week next week. It appears to me that you will do better to hire a car from Innsbruck, book your accommodation inside a valley that you want to ski instead of staying at Innsbruck. From my search the accommodations in Innsbruck neither cheaper or easier to book.

I have stayed in Ski Welt which is next to Kitzbuhel and so there is a huge amount of skiing in that valley. It is a good choice from Innsbruck for avoiding deep snow and quiet valley in a normal car as it is a flat trunk route with loads of traffic.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rayscoops, brand new gondola from the centre of Innsbruck will take you up to Nordpark.

I've stayed in Innsbruck before and travelled out each day to either Igls or Stubai. Makes a change staying in a big city. Feels a bit weird but there's more to do after dark and you can book hotels easily via Expedia or similar.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rayscoops, it's a long time since I've bveen to Innsbruck but it's the only city I've ever been where you can catch a tram to go skiing, there is a small ski area, I think it's the Hungerberg in Innsbruck, it's great to watch the planes landing at Innsbruck airport below you. There are some good resorts quite nearby, Igls and Axer Lixum are 2 that I remember. I believe that Igls still has a bob sleigh run that allows you to ride in a four man bob, not to be missed. Thre's also a ski jump at Innsbruck so if there's a jumoping competition that's worth seeing as well. So it won't be the usual resort holiday but it will be worth doing, no apre-ski as such but lots of good inns and there are plenty of good restuarants with the bonus of visiting a beautiful old and historic city.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The ski busses from Innsbruck work, but are a little fiddly. I was on one in which the driver got lost. I also had a problem with the schedules posted on the Innsbruck tourism website being totally, completely false. They also don't run terribly frequently.

It is a 90 minute ride to Stubai, which is anyway overrated in my opinion. Axamer Lizum is about 40 minutes away, and is underrated. You can probably cut those travel times in half if you drive yourself. Nordpark was not open when I was there, so I cannot comment, although it certainly wins for convenience.

Innsburck is a beautiful city, but not a lot of typical apres stuff going on. We found a bar on the main square near the Golden Roof that was pretty cool, but otherwise you forget pretty quickly that you are on a ski holiday as soon as the sun goes down and the mountains disappear from view.

I rented from a shop in town, near a ski bus stop, which worked out well. Much better than spending 30 minutes in a rental shop at a different base area each day.

If I am not mistaken, if you buy a multi-day Innsbruck ski pass valid for a week or more, a day at St. Anton including bus transfer is included. That would be a good deal.

The tourism office also keeps odd hours (as in it is never open at times in which you would not otherwise be skiing), which makes purchasing your passes ahead of time a bit of a pain.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all, mixed feelings about a ski holiday without a village feel but afterall it is only a weekend and would be interesting, I will keep up my enquiries and see where it ends up
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rayscoops, Try this hotel: Hotel Erica. I stayed there for a long weekend last year, the hotel is just situated outside Neustift for skiing at Stubier, bus stop right outside the hotel. They will pick you up from the airport for a small fee as well.

snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sage, cheers, I have just sent an email to them
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
why not try mayrhofen - pretty close to innsbruck and loads of accom
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nick0861 wrote:
why not try mayrhofen - pretty close to innsbruck and loads of accom

Mayrhofen is less than an hour by car from Innsbruck if I remember correctly. It's a great resort too, and Hintertux is an easy bus ride away. Recommend it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nick0861, paulio, I had a look at Mayrhofen in my guide books and it did not really jump out at me, especially with that one main Gondola and no real skiing back to resort, but I will have another look at it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops wrote:
nick0861, paulio, I had a look at Mayrhofen in my guide books and it did not really jump out at me, especially with that one main Gondola and no real skiing back to resort, but I will have another look at it.

All of which is true, and even more so, of Stubai, which is where you will be skiing if you stay in Neustift.
snow report
I think you could have a great ski hol in Innsbruck visiting the local resorts, although if it were me, I would get a car to give me the freedom to get around the region without relying on bus timetables, although the buses are fine if you're on a strict budget. And yes you do see people clumping around Innsbruck in ski boots in the morning, but not so much in the way of 'apres-ski' atmosphere in the evenings. Having said that, Innsbruck is one of my favourite cities and there's plenty of choice of bars/restaurants etc. at night, it's just not cheesy Austrian apres-ski like you get in the resorts.

If you do this, definitely hire in Innsbruck, you don't want to be doing this every day!

Mayrhofen is an idea if you can get accommodation, but I do have the same reservations as you to be honest. I have had a holiday there which was fine, but I do think there are some fundamental reasons why I would not rush back, mainly related to the gondola/queues/having to ride it down as well as up, and also monumentally poor piste-maintenance (which admittedly could have just been a bad week when I was there). However, I seem to be 'odd' in that respect as everyone else raves about it!

Another option would be to stay in a satellite of a bigger resort, where you might be more likely to get accommodation, but again you sacrifice convenience and apres-ski atmosphere.

H and I do enjoy the kind of holiday you are thinking of, kind of like a ski safari, you get to ski different places every day and we love that (which is why we often go to the Ski Amade region around Salzburg).

Happy sliding
D
snow conditions
I would have suggested getting a car and going to Mayrhofen (or one other village in the valley). Never had a major issue with going up and down on the gondola... maybe 10min queue in the morning, and virtually nothing in the afternoon. I thought there was another cable car going up with a carpark etc (just before you get to Mayrhofen), which could be handy if you have hotel in Zell am Ziller etc. (more likely to get last minute accomodation?)

Not sure what "monumentally poor piste-maintenance" is supposed to mean... when I was there they re-pisted bits during the day on one occasion, although the other time was knee deep in powder even down in the town!
snow report
andy, the poor piste maintenance was for the whole week I was there, when hardly any pistes were bashed at all for the whole week and were all really cut up into enormous big lumps, which did affect our enjoyment of the skiing in general. I don't mind some pistes being like this, and do enjoy a bit of off-piste skiing anyway, but it meant there was really no cruising at all.

As I said though, I am happy to assume that this was just one unfortunate week.

Vis a the lift queues, we queued for about half an hour going up in the morning (whichever time we hit it), and about 45 minutes to get back down, although after a couple of times doing that we decided to ski down to one of the other villages (Finkenburg?) and get the bus back.

But as I said, it's just one person's experience and most people seem to rave about it, so maybe we were just unlucky.

D
snow report
I am going to Mayrhofen on Friday. It is part of the Zillertal with between 500 to 600km piste in the valley, making it possibly the biggest around Innsbruck.

The skiiable areas showed in the Internet include

Location Piste length Lift No. Notes
Fugen/Spieljoch (1st in Zillertal Valley) 21 8 lifts. Not liked
Hochzellertal - Kaltenbach 155 35 lifts. including Fugen/Spieljoch
Mayrhofen - Penken/Horberg/Rastkogel/Eggalm 157 48 lifts.
Hinterlux 86 21 lifts
Zellertal arena -Zell/ Gerlos/Konigslieten/Krimml 163 50 lifts. Supposed 560km if added together
ski holidays
It is bit of a strange one really, it is only a long weekend Friday to Monday but I am quite prepared to head to somewhere on the train like St Anton, but if I have to stay a bus ride away from the Galzig lifts (for example) I may as well stay in Innsbruck itself or one of the surrounding resorts linking to Stubai and take a similar bus ride/taxi. If I could get a'walk to the lifts' hotel in any resort within max 3 hours train ride it would be fine but this is what I am struggling to get. To be honest the gondola at Mayrhofen is not such a big problem for me (but not generally what I look for), but again unless I am near the gondola there is no real point staying there.

thanks for the help and more suggestions are welcome because I have not come across too many people who have based themselves in Inssbruck, which is a really accessible airport.
snow report
I know I expressed some criticism of Innsbruck as a base, but I’m going to backtrack from that a bit. For a long weekend, it’s fine. For a week maybe not, but for a long weekend I see no reason to spend time driving/riding the train somewhere else when there is plenty good skiing right there to keep you busy.

Here’s what you do:
Stay somewhere central in town, preferably in the historic quarter. This will put you close to the ski bus stops as well as give you plenty of options for restaurants and pubs. It is not a typical Tyrolean village experience, but enjoy the cosmopolitan environment instead. Isn’t it nice not to be bombarded by Alpendisco and Majorca in snow?

Do not stay in Neustift or any of the other satellite villages. Doing so limits the areas that you can reasonably ski and increases the need to rent a car. What is the point of staying in Neustift and limiting yourself to skiing Stubai and maybe Schlick 2000? You’re still not slopeside. You still have to drive/take the bus to the ski area each day. What have you gained over staying in Innsburck? If you stay in town, you are minutes from the airport and have access to more ski areas.

You don’t say how many days of skiing you have, but it must be between two and four. Ski one day each at Axamer Lizum and Nordpark (the most convenient from Innsburck), and if they do not do enough to draw you back for additional days, then make the trek out to Stubai.

Rent your stuff in town and pay close attention to when you need to be at the ski bus stop.

Or you can go through the hassle and expense of renting a car and spend three hours in a car when you could be either skiing or drinking beer.

Go to Innsbruck, stay in town, ski the surrounding areas, and have fun.
latest report
ami in berlin, that is the option that I favour but my mate likes the 'village' ski type holiday, we arrive Friday 11.30 am, ski Sat/Sun and leave Monday morning and if we can get a bit of skiing in on the day of arrival it is a bonus. I suppose the good thing about the satellite villages is the apres ski type bars in comparison with staying in the city

Staying in Innsbruck really makes it a genuine 'weekend' trip by avoiding transfers (at the resort end of the trip), and I am keen to do it again if it works out
snow conditions
rayscoops, for a trip with those timings, I would definitely stay in Innsbruck. Like you say, the transfer time could be the difference between gettin 2.5 days skiing or just 2.

And you will be able to do a bit of drinking in the umbrella bars at the bottom of the slopes before you hop on the buses back.

If it was me, I would say Friday pm on Nordpark or Patscherkofel, as they are both really near/in the city, and then Neustift on Saturday and Axamer Lizum on Sunday (or the other way round).

The satellite villages of Innsbruck to be honest aren't like big ski resorts like Saalbach/Mayrhofen/Kitzbuehel etc. Lots of people stay a bus ride from the slopes or the villages are very small, so it won't be like you will be the only people taking the bus away from the slopes at the end of the day. Innsbruck is in any case a great little city, I'm sure you'll have a fab time, and the convenience for your short trip travel wise will be a bonus.

As Ami says, stay as near to the centre as possible (for buses etc.) and you'll have a great time, but with actually a wider choice of bars and restaurants than most small ski resorts!

D
ski holidays
Deliaskis, Innsbruck it is I think, take the new funicular up, then take the gondolas etc. up to the mountain, have a slide, beers at gondola/funicular station on the way back then down load to the town for a 'spruce-up' before a visit to the local err ..... museums Very Happy maybe a bus the next day to somewhere else on the same basis Very Happy
snow conditions
rayscoops, Hi, really interested to hear how you get on.
Smile snowHead
I've booked some flights to Innsbruck arriving on Friday 7th March at 1125 and then heading back Monday am. Initial thought was to head to Mayrhofen but staying in Innsbruck could be a better option.

Travelling with my Brother so hiring a car between two is an option.

Mayrhofen sounds quite lively and there is a "club rep" to ski with... Smile
snow report
martyngb, sounds like Bristol Easyjet flights that I have. i will let you know how I get on
snow conditions
St Anton is only 45 mins by car, which is slightly closer than mayrhofen. Both are great resorts for the drinking of beer and the leering at lassies. That both have great skiing goes without saying, although now I've said it.
latest report
Ghost Dog, but no empty hotels Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm also looking at a short ski break based in Innsbruck. One potential problem seems to be that a lot of the cheaper hotels in town don't have (or at least don't mention) any ski storage area like a resort hotel would.

If I hire my skis in Innsbruck itself, will the shop let me store the skis at the shop overnight? Or do you think even small hotels or pensions would let me keep the skis there?
snow report
Two Years Laybelle - I would normally take my own board and would keep it in the bathroom of the hotel, can not see any hotel refusing me
latest report
Can anyone comment on the other facilities in Innsbruck. Obviously some museums etc. But are there spa facilities, good swimming? Thinking of family visit with some non skiers who will probably have only limited interest in museums. The bobsleigh sounds like one good idea.
latest report
I see everyone is talking about Austria. However I flew to Innsbruck a couple of years ago to access Selva and the whole of the Sella Ronda. Its about 90 minutes drive mainly on motorway. Even though its in Italy if something costs 20 they often ask for zwanzig!
snow report
rayscoops, Easyjet it is. There seems to be lots of rooms in Mayrhofen but no-one wants to let me book them yet! Twisted Evil

They other thing I need to check is where to watch the six nations........or is that another thread?? snowHead
ski holidays
pam w, I have never used one, but I am sure there must be a swimming pool/spa complex somewhere. There certainly are facilities in some of the hotels if you pay to use them. There is also an ice rink (the olympic one) in the town and a smaller one up at Igls. There is the mountain zoo, which is just part way up the Hungerbergbahn, which is a nice half day trip. We're not really that into museums either, but there is also an olympic museum, which is of a bit more general appeal than some other kinds of stuffy museums, and we like the alpine museum. They can go to the Swarovski crystal world to look at beautiful sparkley things if that takes their fancy. Plus plenty of shops, cafes, restaurants and bars, theatres, cinema, concerts, etc. Plus they can get the train somewhere for day trips if they like - Kitzbuehel maybe?

D
ski holidays
I just returned from innsbruck last week and this is a good post. I stayed at a hotel right in the center which was really nice but a little inconvienent to the ski busses and clunking through town in ski boots got pretty annoying. Innsbruck is a nice city and good if you want other diversions other than skiing. The museums weren't all that interesting though. Most busses left originally from the train station so that areas hotels I think, would be the most convient place to stay.

If you go there a car is definately useful however, driving back into the city and finding a place to park could be frustrating too.
The ski busses were incredibly inconvient.Except to the few places close to town. There were almost no posted schedules, the locals really had no idea about them either. The stops were also confusing as they were not really posted as to where they were and some had different stops than the others. (we missed the bus to stubai one day after waiting for it across the street for several minutes).
The really strange thing is that most left at 9:05, Which was after the resorts opened. This is not a problem for late sleepers but if you are a morning person it is too late. Also there were usually only one return bus which was always packed. There was often 3 full busses up and only one back down. What happened to the people who didn't get on i have no idea.

The skiing was pretty good. here is a list of places we tried.
Nordpark is the closest to town and you can get on this new subway/funicular/tram combo and ride from the center of town to the top. However, this takes a full hour and ends up seeming just as far as the farthest places. the terrain is great if there is new snow. Forget it if it hasn't snowed in awile or if it is a weekend.
Igls, is really close and is served by the cities trams. It is pretty small though and not that interesting
Axams- is close, has convient ski busses and has awesome terrain if there is new snow. The elevations is a little low
Kuhtai- this was my favorite place. It is the only one that was out side of town that was easy to get to. It had an early (8:05) ski bus as well as 9:05 which took an hour. But to come home it was either 1330 or 1630. too early, too late and too crowded.
St. Anton had a ski bus at 745 which took an hour and a half or a train which ran at several times during the day and takes an hour. Very good skiing.
snow report
j,

a few questions,

Where does the new funicular go from in relation to the main train station (I seem to have read that there are four stops for it maybes?) because I have not managed to identify where the funicular station is. I assume there are quite large queues at the weekend which is when I will be there? Basically it seems to get to the top of Nordpark you need the funicular (and staying near it would be a good idea), then two gondolas, is this right?

I am trying to pick a hotel and the main train station area seems to be the starting point for the ski buses if I understand you correctly. Would a hotel near the train station therefore be convenient for accessing ski buses and funicular and trams?

So the train to St Anton is only an hour away by train, which is not so bad for a day especially on Saturday which is a quiet 'change over' day on the slopes, worth considering maybe in that case

cheers

Ray
ski holidays
j, I had to laugh reading your post, because it is nearly exactly what we experienced last winter.

The first day we spent more than an hour wandering around downtown (at 7:30 am) with a bus schedule I'd printed from the Innsbruck tourism site looking for a bus to Stubai that didn't exist. The locals all thought we were nuts. We ended up taking a streetcar halfway there before getting another bus.

That evening I took my printed bus schedules into the rental shop and they told me the scedules were just wrong, and as you say, the buses all leave much later.

The next day our driver first got lost, then realised that while he was going to Axamer Lizum (as the sign on the bus said), he'd picked up mostly people heading for Stubai (because he had told them to get on his bus even after they told him it was the wrong bus) and had to drive to some large parking lot to let everyone switch to their intended buses.

I did not go to Kuhtai, but my girlfriend went there to cross-country ski. She said that bus worked great. The difference: the bus to Kuhtai is a Postbus, and therefore not run by whatever local authority runs to ski buses.

I'd like to think we could have gotten some useful information from the tourist office, but of course they don't open until after the ski buses have left, and they close before the buses arrive back in town. When I contacted them before our departure for info on an all-inclusive (lift ticket, bus pass, ski rental, lesson) deal they sell for Stubai, rather than just selling it to me, they told me to come by their office and purchase it there. Too bad that was not possible for the reasons above, and we ended up spending about twice what we should have.

There is some great skiing to be had, but their disorganisation is embarrassing for a city that sells itself as a ski destination.
snow report
Just decided to take a very last minute trip to Innsbruck this coming weekend. Only Sat/Sun to ski, with 5 hour drive each way. Not decided exactly which bit to ski yet, although it's looking a bit like a day in each of Nordpark and Igls.

My first guess from a bit of surfing is that the J bus goes between Igls - Innsbruck Centre (near station) - Nordpark every 15mins or so. The new funicular seems to go from somewhere a bit further away from the Station, but I can't be sure.

Anyone know a good car park close to main station where I can keep the car? (will arrive 11pm Friday night)

Anyone know a decent place to rent a pair of planks at each ski area?

Anyone know if there's ski-lockers where I can leave walking boots during the day, to avoid clumping about city center in skiboots? (spose the ski rental stores allow to leave them during the day?)

Will report back on Monday how successful I was in getting some slides in etc. Worst case is I say sod it and drive to Ziller Valley which I know a bit better, although I don't ever recall seeing a carpark in Mayrhofen.
latest report
rayscoops, I spent a long w/e around Innsbruck a little while back - you might find something of interest in the thread below

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=544960&highlight=innsbruck#544960
snow report
to answer a few questions from above: The new subway thing from the center of innsbruck leaves from behind the congress building. If staying near the trainstation that would be a far walk actually. It would be better to take one of the ski busses to Hungerburg which is where the tram leaves from. These busses seem very convenient and go very often. So you don't need to ride the funicular to get to the tram. We bought the innsbruck area ski pass which let us get right on the lifts and busses for any of the ski areas (except for some reason Nordpark) For nordpark we had to wait in a line at a ticket office. Show them our card. Sign some papers and then get the ticket for the funnicular. Once up at the tram station we had to go through this process again to get a ticket for the tram and skiing areas. this whole process took 1.5 hours, Which is absolutly rediculous.

Another thought on Nordpark. I wouldn't go there unless you are an expert skier and it is a powder day. The day I went there it was one of the worst skiing days I have ever had. I took only 3 runs and left. the area faces south so it bakes during the day and refreezes turning the snow to shite. There is some great off piste terrain there but unless the conditions are in, forget it. And there is really only one double chairlift and two trails for skiing. Really, go somewhere else unless it snows at least a foot.

The train station is not that nice of an area but it is only a 5-10 min walk to the altstadt. It seems that that area had the most busses to ski places and since they started there you could walk around and find the right bus and not have to worry about waiting at a stop and jumping on the right bus. Busses from there go to: Igls (every 15-30 min) Axamer-lizzum(every hour, also note there are busses to the town of axams which won't help you to get to the skiing area). Nordpark (I think) Kuhtai (8:05 and 9:05)also the train to st. anton.

For busses to stubai (8:05 i think) and St. Anton (7:45) there is a stop on the altstadt side of Innrain st. Across the street near the bridge are busses to Kuhtai and nordpark.
Further down innrain accross from the church in the island between the roads all the busses stop for axams igls and kuhtai
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy