Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Posting on the move?

Poster: A snowHead
With all this "on the ground" info flying in from those already in resorts (and even in their cars travelling there), how do you access the site remotely. Are you dipping into internet cafes or sustaining big mobile bills by using mobile broadband?

I have a Blackberry but don't really understand it as it is all configured by my IT people to integrate with our servers. It does, however, browse the web by GPRS. I have tried loading up Snowheads but it is SLOW and messy, due to the small screen. Am I missing something, like a PDA friendly version of the site, which can be accessed from anywhere?

Also, do any of the resort snow forecast sites have a mobile version which is easy to use?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sproggski, Get an iPhone, and find a wifi access point Very Happy

(Cue ProfPool to say something to the effect that iPhones aren't worth it and you'd be better off using a laptop and phoning your granny on a Nokia 6310 rolling eyes ) Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
iPhone for proper internet on the move yes. Unless you want to carry round a laptop.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sproggski, flowa used her blackberry for up to the minute reports from lifts and piste side restaurants without any problems when she was over here, looked like the normal site set up to me, but I'm not very technologically minded.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Surely there can't be Nokia 6310 users young enough to still have grannies?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sproggski, Laughing ( I suspect the prof was not being entirely honest about phoning his granny)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And I have just sent this post from the blackberry. Its great when past the clutter at the top of the screen.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AxsMan wrote:
sproggski, Get an iPhone, and find a wifi access point Very Happy

(Cue ProfPool to say something to the effect that iPhones aren't worth it and you'd be better off using a laptop and phoning your granny on a Nokia 6310 rolling eyes ) Laughing

Similar, but no, if you get an iPhone, you're stuck with O2. It's just like apple / M$ / HD-DVDs / etc etc. You're stuck with the stupid DRM (Digital Rights Management).

Lots of Nokia phones will run on any network, or, if they currently don't, won't suddenly "Break" on a software update.

I have a Nokia E90 Communicator. I think it'll be more robust than an iPhone, and it even has a qwerty keyboard on it. It's not the smallest thing though, but it still has the COOL fsactor, and it's less common, so I think the cool factor is higher. Cool It's available on diferent networks. It has Wireless G amongst other features.

What ever you do, get it as an upgrade, if you don't like their deals, pretend you want to leave and suddenly, you'll get much more from them.

my 2P.

AxsMan, do you work for Apple?

P.s. thought this was funny:

http://www.xkcd.com/86/
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mr.Si wrote:
... It's not the smallest thing though...

Now there's an understatement. 'Is that a Nokia communicator in your pocket or have you got the biggest boner in history?' Laughing Laughing Laughing

(No don't work for Apple Little Angel )
latest report
 brian
brian
sproggski, if you set the Board Style in your forum profile to "crisp" you get a more small screen friendly version of snowHead s.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hey, just did this from my blackberry. Don't ask why but never considered trying before. Easy but not terribly quick. I shall report in from the mountains in a weeks time.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you want a version of snowHeads that is designed for a small screen and (importantly when you're abroad) reduced data load, bookmark this link in your phone to login through:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/loginmob.php

This link will switch you back to the normal profile:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/logindemob.php
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On my Blackberry now, it helps to keep any photos to a minimum in the memory and clear up all the clutter that seems to get put on the phone by having lots of bookmarks, also do not enable that thingy that helps you to view images etc. can not remember the name of it at the moment
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've managed to post using my orange SPV M700 using GPRS or 3G, I guess any windows smartphone or other pda should be okay. Though a mobile opimisied snowheads would be much better.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks, Admin, that's fantastic! You have totally changed ny handheld experience (fnarr fnarr!).
snow report
window mobile phone (htc / tytn 2, vario 3)

mini opera java based prog, and theres allways bars, hotels with free wifi these days?

add skype out and i can pester my mates in the Uk whilst they are sat at work for less than 2p a min wink

oh and the built in GPS is handy for those top speed runs Very Happy not that im quick best ever recorded was 43mph.
ski holidays
admin wrote:
If you want a version of snowHeads that is designed for a small screen and (importantly when you're abroad) reduced data load, bookmark this link in your phone to login through:

I was looking for those login's the other day, could you put them somewhere more readily accesible ~~ a sticky in Suggestions and requests perhaps?
snow report
admin, Oh, I can't believe I've only just found out about this. Been off "grid" for the holidays and hate to think what charges I've incurred (now there an addiction if ever there was one...)

Marvellous!
snow report
Spikyhedgehog, said
Quote:
iPhone for proper internet on the move yes. Unless you want to carry round a laptop.

Don't forget there are also PDAs - I've just got a Dell Axim off eBay with wifi & bluetooth, so you can access the web; send eMails; phone using skype etc; use tomTom with a bluetooth gps etc etc...
ski holidays
admin wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
admin wrote:

just sent to my SPV M3100 to try later - big thanks should make life lots easier especially as hotel we're going to (allegedly) has wifi
snow report
Spikyhedgehog wrote:

Why iPhone? My N95:
  • supports 3.5G
  • has a removable battery
  • has expandable storage
  • supports third-party software
  • has a proper camera (including red-eye reduction, flash, auto-focus and VGA video camera)
  • has built-in GPS

whereas your iPhone:
  • is DRM'd til the middle of next week
  • has a recessed headphone socket, forcing you to use Apple headphones
  • is nigh-on impossible to use one-handed (so texting while holding a coffee isn't an option! NehNeh )
  • is locked to O2 (with associated lousy data plan)

OK, I'm done being smug.

Also, thanks for the link Admin. Definitely a timesaver when snowHead ing on the move!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 7-01-08 16:13; edited 3 times in total
snow report
That's a really useful link admin. I too have tried snowheading from my blackberry but it was just way too slow. So thanks for enlightening us!

D
ski holidays
Shallimus wrote:
Spikyhedgehog wrote:

Why iPhone? My N95:
  • supports 3.5G
  • has a removable battery
  • has expandable storage
  • supports third-party software
  • has a proper camera (including red-eye reduction, flash, auto-focus and VGA video camera)
  • has built-in GPS

whereas your iPhone:
  • is DRM'd til the middle of next week
  • has a recessed headphone socket, forcing you to use Apple headphones
  • is nigh-on impossible to use one-handed (so texting while holding a coffee isn't an option! NehNeh )
  • is locked to O2 (with associated lousy data plan)

OK, I'm done being smug.

Also, thanks for the link Admin. Definitely a timesaver when snowHead ing on the move!

But it doesn't have proper internet. wink

And mine isn't locked to O2, and I don't have a problem using it one handed.

The recessed socket is just silly though.

And it doesn't have a proper camera, no phones on the market have (what I would consider as) a proper camera. It has a better camera yes, but not proper. Very Happy

I forgot about PDA's too, they are probably a better option.

iPhone is just a marmite option at the end of the day.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Last thing I'd use to use internet mobile is the iPhone tbh, I'd rather use wap on a nokia 3310 ffs Very Happy
snow report
some smart person has developed a potential way of using your iPod touch to browse the internet via any 3g phone with a wireless connection capability.
latest report
Timmaah wrote:
Last thing I'd use to use internet mobile is the iPhone tbh, I'd rather use wap on a nokia 3310 ffs Very Happy

For what reason? Don't think I know the 3310 - does it have a better browser?
snow conditions
This is the 3310, everyone has to have owned one at some point in the past. Wink

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spikyhedgehog, thanks. Probably doesn't have a better browser then? Wink
ski holidays
rob@rar, that would be a definite no Very Happy
snow conditions
Spikyhedgehog wrote:
Shallimus wrote:
Spikyhedgehog wrote:

Why iPhone? My N95:
<some>

But it doesn't have proper internet. wink

Yes it does. Define 'proper'. The built-in browser is perfectly serviceabe, and Opera Mini is even better.

We're taking one of these with us: http://eeepc.asus.com/global/ - about A5 size when closed. £219 from Toys R Us.

Not actually taking it on the slopes, but there's bound to be an access point somewhere.
snow report
Quote:
This is the 3310, everyone has to have owned one at some point in the past.

.......and the present Embarassed or my husband does anyway
snow report
Don't let my wife see that - she will want an upgrade! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
The Iphone has hijacked another thread!!! Very Happy rolling eyes

I think that the original question was pertaining more to the method of connecting/accessing to the internet (and ultimately its cost) rather than which particular device...

PS: I have an N95 and use any free WiFi I can find when abroad...Once found 9 unprotected networks when in town in France. Some people are asking for trouble. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
iPod Touch - browsing on it now! Great bit of kit.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy