Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vanoise Express cable car will be shut this winter

Poster: A snowHead
Paradiski annual pass holders have been sent an email telling them that the Vanoise Express cable car linking the Les Arcs and La Plagne ski domains will not be put into service this winter. A press release states that abnormalities have been detected on the outer envelope of some cables. Season Pass holders have been presented with the options to: ...
1. to keep their Paradiski package to take full advantage of skiing on the Paradiski area (although how is not stipulated).
2. have the difference between the fare paid for the Paradiski package and the cost of a La Plagne package refunded.

The decision to close the cable car was taken after discussions between the operator and the authorities. Further investigations into the abnormalities will be carried out this winter and work to fix them will start in the Spring.

Http://www.paradiski.com
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh what a shame - i was really looking forward to a trip on it too. It is good to know that the safety is so closely monitored though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's only a few years old, isn't it?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
laundryman, 4, not very well built is it Confused
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
laundryman, gwaelod, The cable bundles used are, of course unique, as there is no other cable system the same as the VE.
From the detail in the letter I have received I get the impression that as there is a doubt regarding safety no one is prepard to sign of the cable bundles as safe until they have been scanned. The VE was running through the Summer so I guess the problem has appeared in the pre season safety tests (It was due to open tomorrow).
each time I have been over in it or seen it from a distance I am always aware of how high up and unsupported those cables are Confused
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Big Bag Of Bollix!!!

I was really looking forward to the ride......but I would much rather it be safe to do so.

Good job this didn't happen in England and have to take all the negative that a drama like this would bring on everyone connected with it....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A major headache for ski resorts are new EU imposed regulations involving ski lifts. This has had more of an affect on small ski areas than climate change. Cables on big lifts now have to be x-rayed before the season and this has presumably shown issues with the cable,

see also:

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0650-grands-montets-closed-till-christmas/
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof, That explains a lot Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gwaelod wrote:
davidof, That explains a lot Sad

I bet there are some unhappy insurers today.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof, Bad for the PR departments in both sides Sad There are also quite a few small restaurants (in particular the one on the La Plagne side) that rely on the passing trade from the Vanoise. Bet the insurers ignores them. Its those sort of traders I feel very sorry for.

For the geeks here over at RG's site someon has posted a vidoe of the Vanoise being built. Its linked in the las post in the bottom of the thread.

http://thermique74.nuxit.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1680&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Back to the other Express then ..... Landrover TD5 ..... Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BernardC, Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There's always the North Face of the Bellecote to get from La Plagne to Les Arcs isn't there?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
True Kramer, but then how do you get back?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skins?
snow report
Hell of a skin up. It will probably actually make the North Face better to ski as there will be fewer people because of the need to get a taxi back, though they may lay on busses I guess.
snow report
Skins? All right for you super fit gym people. Not for me.
No, I would call BernardC Taxis. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
A real shame i was so looking forward to travelling on but H&S first !
snow report
Thats the fist ever Montalbert -Villaroger challenge over before a ski was waxed in anger....... Mad Sad
snow report
redrunmarcus, I got as far as Montchavin yesterday which also seemed to be closed wink
latest report
boredsurfin, If the lifts were shut how did you make your way round? Confused
snow report
Well it should make the Montalbert - Villaroger race more exciting Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Looks like an EU regulation that actually does have a point.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman,

Quote:

Well it should make the Montalbert - Villaroger race more exciting

.... that's the spirit .... Laughing

....adapt ... improvise .... overcome ... Toofy Grin

I am up for it ..... any takers ...
snow conditions
In the news: The French text is automatically translated by Google
snow conditions
French TV report on the closure of the vanoise for the season Mad

http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Actualites.htm
ski holidays
The Les Arcs website has now stopped selling Paradiski passes - quite rightly - and has absolute minimal info here
ski holidays
Martin Nicholas, Ssshhh Martin you will wake them. Might knock on thier door when over there shortly and let them know it is winter. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shame for anyone there this winter I had a good view of it from my chalet and from it to my chalet.

http://www.ncski.co.uk/lesarcs/la33.JPG
http://www.ncski.co.uk/lesarcs/la31.JPG
http://www.ncski.co.uk/lesarcs/la3.jpg
http://www.ncski.co.uk/lesarcs/la1.jpg
http://www.ncski.co.uk/lesarcs/la58.jpg
ski holidays
gwaelod, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
The regional newspapers are carrying the story as well but only giving the same information as was in the orginal press release.
The French media don't seem to be as inventive in expanding a story in the same way their British counterparts do Confused
ski holidays
boredsurfin, Its got to effect business in the area wouldn't you think? People who haven't booked already might think twice. We are staying in Peisey in 2 weeks so will be interesting to see how busy that area is with it being shut.

Thinking about getting a taxi one day across to Belle Plagne and doing a day in La Plagne. We haven't done Champny or your area to much so as it looks highly likely the snow will still be there in 2 weeks it would be worth thr day trip. I think a one area pass gives you a day free in the other side?
latest report
Dwarf Vader, Just been looking at your photos Smile

As a newbie to skiing, I was intrigued by the lift in http://www.ncski.co.uk/lesarcs/la103.jpg, where is it? Do any of the pictures of Les Arcs show the easier blues/beginner area in the Vallandry area (that's where I am going!)?
snow report
NewSkier, that's the Lonzagne lift which runs from the original village of Peisey up to the skiing at Plan Peisey.
snow conditions
rob@rar, thanks.
ski holidays
rob@rar, Isn't that village what everyone now refers to as Peisey Nancroix?

NewSkier,

if you scan around on this webcam from Les Coches, and click on the magnifyng glasses looking at Les Arcs they are the runs you will be on

http://www.webcam-ski.com/interfaces/montchavin/interface.php?pk_interface=65&m=images&r=panoramique&pk_pano=6826

Also play around in here, lots of images of the runs. The runs Vallandry side are as wide as motorways
Laughing
http://www.lesarcs.com/visite_360/hiver/anglais/lesarcs_pc.htm
ski holidays
gwaelod, Your right it is referred to as Peisey Nancroix It was where I stopped and would recommend it to anyone looking for good chalets (I was with ski beat) and a quiet evening, The village has a few restaurants and a couple of pubs but it is not a lively place.

NewSkier, The lobster pot lift in the photo is the main way up to the slopes, it brings you out on the Les arc side very close to the Vanoise Express cable car.

You can ski back down. I did it once but the cover was not to good as it was a poor time when I was there. On a normal season it would not be a problem.
snow conditions
If I recall correctly there are actually 3 villages on the Les Arcs side.

Peisey-Nancroix - the original village and a bit lower down from Vanoise, is a bucket lift to it
Peisey - Vallandry - where the Vanoise lift is
Vallandry - a bit higher but joined by short walk to PV

Although I can't see the attraction myself, as have always found enought to entertain in Les Arcs, can understand how it will annoy many. Surely in terms of trade though resorts on both sides have survived for years without the link?
snow report
Boris,

There's Vallandry @1600m, where the new Club Med is, about 20 mins walk from Arc 1800
Plan Peisey, @1600 where the Vanoise XP used to dock before it died, linked by bucket lift down to
Peisey @ 1300, where there are a lot of chalets, a couple of restaurants, 3 bars, 1 ski shop and some alpine character, then up the valley to
Nancroix where all the X country skiing is, the North Face run comes out and the legendary restaurant L'Ancolie in the front room of Mme Poilleaux whose son was in the French downhill team, but was sitting in the kitchen injured and grumpy when we were there last January!

You're right that both sides will survive, but they have amde a major marketing investmenth in the Paradiski name this year, which has rather blown up in their face
latest report
Maybe the tour ops will restore the day trips they used to do.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy