Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Booked my flight to Geneve - but where now

Poster: A snowHead
I've driven down to Serre Chevalier before now but wanted somewhere closer. Picked Serre because with last years crappy conditions was told that it was a good bet to have snow.

Anyway don't mind going back there (devil you know and all that) but would like to try somewhere else.

I'm going with my son who's had a weeks skiing so just coming out of a beginner. I'm 'old' and have only 1 weeks recent skiing under my belt, so although 20 years ago I had the bottle to do blacks and challenging reds I'm after the more sedate slopes!!

So what I want is
1. somewhere near Geneva (1-2 1/2 hours) that isn't going to challenge my (zero) snow driving with
2. skiing to suit both of us,
3. easy to get accommodation (going 29th),
4. if snow could be dodge somewhere to drive to that isn't
5. somewhere with a bit of soul that has restuarants (I aint cooking) and the odd bar - not bothered about full on apres ski (couldn't keep up anyway!)
6. preferaby aint going to break the bank

Answers on a postcard or better still here!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dandtd, Suggest looking at Morzine/Les Gets/Flaine, or St Gervais. All have less challenging slopes as an option, all are within easy drive of Geneva. Another decent option to consider is La Clusaz.

If you fancy Switzerland, perhaps Crans Montana would fit the bill with an easy drive from Geneva. If you don't fancy driving Swiss Rail can get you to Zermatt, door to door from Geneva Airport, though it's a longer journey.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowbunny, thanks - road to crans looks a bit twiddly!!! I think I'm plumping for the FLaine area. What's Avoriaz/Morzine like. Anyone know#/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dandtd wrote:
snowbunny, thanks - road to crans looks a bit twiddly!!! I think I'm plumping for the FLaine area. What's Avoriaz/Morzine like. Anyone know#/

Ah, there are two ways up to Crans Montana. One route is wide, with centre road markings, buses and lorries use it. The other route is scienic and goes through the vineyards Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dandtd, you're going on Tuesday 29th? How long for? It's not going to be too easy getting accomm. starting on a Tuesday so that could be the deciding factor. Are you looking for self catering?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I am doing 3 days from a Geneva flight starting Sunday 3rd Feb. I struggled to find accommodation that would take anything other than sat to sat or sun to sun. I got a place in Argentiere, and has several yeses from places in the Chamonix valley, but nothing in Morzine or Flaine.

See the following thread where I had similar questions answered:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=33502
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
La Rosiere is just out of range. Took us 3.5 hrs from the french side of Geneva airport.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just a thought to those land at Geneva, hire a car and get desparate not knowing where to go.

At bottom of Chamonix - Sallanches (38 miles of pure motorway from Geneva) has a Ibris which can be booked via the Internet. Not sure about the time but being a business grade hotel it accepts booking of any number of days. From there it is

16 miles to Les Caroz which is the lowest resort of Grand Massif (Flain/Morillon/Sameon).
23 miles to Les Gets (French side Portes du Soleil)
6 miles to St Gervais (for Domain Evasion, Megeve, Rochebrune)
16 miles to Chamonix
28 miles to Courmayeur (need to pay the Mont Blanc Tunnel though)
The re are also La Clusaz, Grand Bonarnd, Les Contamines all within similar travelling distances.

At Monthey (82 miles from Geneva, 95% motorway) - Need to pass Lausanne. Hotels seem to be no problem (try Minotel). At the bottom of Swiss side Porte Du Soleil

9 miles to Morgins (linked to French side Avoriaz, Morzine, Les Gets)
9 miles to Champery ( Linked to Morgins)

At Sion (98 miles from Generva, 100% motoway)- Also need to pass Lausanne. Ibris again and easy to book if early. Accepts any number of days

10 miles Nedaz (back of Verbier)
14 miles Crans Montans

One can also drive from Geneva to Cervinia, 120 miles about 3 hours, to pocket Zermatt.

Drive to Interlaken (133 miles about 85% motorway) and access the whole of Jungfrau region (Wengen, Grindelwald and Murren)

It has never been a problem of where but more of how many days do you have?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
saikee, WOW - have 3 whole days and depends how far away we are for the 4th.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Drive to Chamonix, stay cheaply in a b+b, or at the Mercure in Les Bossons, and ski Le Tour/Vormaine/Vallorcine.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Problem with staying in Chamonix is the stay may be difficult to book unless one goes for the full week. Les Houches may have vacancy too as it is a resort not big enough for a full week stay

Les Bossons (possibly closed as not mentioned in the Chamonix site), Le Tour/Vormaine and Vollorcine are beginner areas each has about 2 to 4 lifts and about the same number of runs. The reasonable skiing areas are Les Houches, Brevent/Flegere, Grands Montets and Col de Balme. It is Grands Montets, Brevent and La Flegere that Chamonix special, not its beginner areas.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
saikee wrote:
Problem with staying in Chamonix is the stay may be difficult to book unless one goes for the full week. Les Houches may have vacancy too as it is a resort not big enough for a full week stay

Puzzled
Never had a problem, always had a choice of accom, always got the days I wanted at the price I expected to pay. Never stayed a full week when booking privately.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowbunny,

I suppose it is a matter of price because one can get accommodation as long as one is prepared to pay. Most in-resort accommodation can afford to reject odd-day requests when there is snow around and demand is high.

Just tried Ibris of Sallanches and it accepts 1 day booking at the published price of 65 Euro/room/night. Breakfast 7 Euro per head. If one has a resort in mind it is best to get accommodation as near as possible.

Sallanches, being 38 miles of 100% motorway (part tolled by coins throwing twice) from Geneva, is strategically located for the following domain/resorts.

(1) 152 km piste in Chamonix valley, Les Houches (traditionally separated from main valley with its own 55 km piste) is 12 miles from Sallanches, rest of Chamonix is unlinked.
(2) 300 km piste Domain Evasion (St Gervais/Megeve/Rochebrune/Combloux), Mont d' Arbois of Megeve is nearest and 6 miles from Sallanches. Only Combloux not linked
(3) 120 km piste of Les Contamines is a hidden resort behind St Gervais and 12 miles from Sallanches. (Many skiers stop at St Gervais instead of going further into a dead end valley)
(4) 265 km piste of Grand Massif (fully linked Le Carroz, Morillon/Samoens/Flaine) Le Carroz at 16 miles is closest to Sallanches. Rest of Domain is fully linked.
(5) 650 km of Porte de Soleil (French size is nearly fully linked) Les Gets at 23 miles is the nearest from Sallanches.
(6) 132 km piste of Le Grand Bornard/La Clusaz area. Le Grand Bornard is 28 miles from Sallanches. La Clusaz is the main area but not linked to Grand Bornard.

I found only Bourg St Maurice in the Tarentaise Valley can rival its strategetic importance to a skier who drives to ski.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, Combloux is not a bad idea at all, and very close to Sallanches. Very pretty. Nice skiing, though not a big area, and the most stunning views across to Mont Blanc. Certainly more than enough for a day's skiing. Trips from Sallanche are a good idea - a day in Combloux, a day in Les Contamines and a day in Les Houches, maybe? All very easily reached.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dandtd, you could always jump on a train and head to any Swiss main station resort - Verbier, Gstaad etc not far away and may be cheaper than driving with just two of you
snow report
dandtd, but don't forget that, with starting on a Tuesday, accommodation is going to be the most difficult part of the package to sort out; there are loads of suitable resorts within reasonable distance. By the way, I've never been to Verbier, so I may be wrong, but my understanding is that it might be a but challenging for someone who has just done a week - unless your son is super confident. It's also pricey.
snow report
dandt , I had the same problem, 6 of us flying to geneva Mon - Fri so needed 4 nights accomadation. We are going to Les Carroz, a nice little village about 1 hour from Geneva. Paying just umder £300 for 4 nights, but thats ski pass included and all meals at an English run hotel, so not much to pay for except the odd glass of claret .If you google Samoens in the Grand Massif you will find B&B asccomadation.
If you want info on the hotel let me know.
boo
Very Happy
snow conditions
dandtd, given your most important constraints (skiing abilities) - places I'd recommend would include

Les Houches

PDS - Morzine - try the hotel Igloo or Bergerie - Les Gets (no hotel suggestions)

Samoens

The 29th of Jan doesn't take you into vacances scolaires so accommodation shouldn't be an issue in resort - so no real reason to stay away from resort. If you can't find accommodation in resort then Taninges is handy for the PDS, Samoens and Flaine.

Verbier probably not recommended. But plenty available by train. Check out www.j2ski.com I think they have lists of what's where. Also, www.gva.ch the airports own website has lots of handy information...
ski holidays
We have just returned from a week in Samoens and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Beautiful unspoilt village with a nice selection of shops, restaurants, bars etc. 1 hour from Geneva and easy access via a new lift system to the Grand Massif ski area which includes Flaine, Le Carroz, Sixt and Morillon. The ski area is extensive and excellent for all abilities.
We stayed in a self catering chalet quite reasonably. Have a look here www.alpskiing.co.uk/

Good luck!
latest report
Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. It all boiled down to accommodation so I'm goign with Avoriaz. I'll let you know if I made a good choice (or not!).
ski holidays
We too are looking at somewhere near-ish to Geneva for Mid-March in our case but have only ever been to Austria before and never DIY-ed are a bit clueless. We're hoping by DIY-ing we can get 8 or 9 ski days in. What is the snow record like for 2nd/3rd week of March in the kinds of areas mentioned above: Avoriaz/Morzine, Samoens etc?

Thanks a mil
Rebecca
Sorry for the mini-hijack

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 15-01-08 20:08; edited 1 time in total
latest report
MissRibena, That's generally high-ish season in any year because the snow is still accumulating and you're beginning to (or definitely getting) better weather (longer hours, sunshine, boozy lunches outside rather than inside). The snow record will be pretty much as good as anywhere. It wouldn't be a worry for me (although, clearly, anything can happen [see written disclaimer in post]). Accommodation might be tricker, depending on how much you are prepared to spend and what dates you're thinking (it's technically heading towards the Easter weekend - although school hols are all a bit weird this year).
ski holidays
Thanks David.
We're hoping to fly out on the 8th and back on the 18th so squeezing in before Easter and after mid-terms (I hope). The 17th is a bank holiday here so we're trying to maximise skiing time versus holidays taken at work. We had hoped to get 2 trips after Christmas; one earlier and one later than this but that's just not worked out, so I came up with the 9 day thing.
Thanks for the reassurance about the snow. I know it's not an exact science but I hear all sorts of stuff about February in low resorts and March in high resorts so wasn't really sure.

Thanks again
snow report
MissRibena, one hears all sorts of things about all sorts of things. It's usually not true, IME.
snow report
Go to Avoriaz, it's amazing snow at the moment. I've just come back from my third trip this season! Go on to www.avoriazlets.com for an apartment - dead flexible on arrival/departure dates etc and reasonable prices.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy