Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss ski speed cameras

Poster: A snowHead
I'm with you Jennyski, I was thinking a swift hard kick in a delicate male place wearing ski boots of course to ensure extra pain and then pulling arms out of sockets

I think ski resorts have to do more to prevent idiots on slopes, at present they can ski in a real wreckless way, really hurting an innocent skier and then suffer no consequence, I cannot see the difference between wreckless driving and wreckless skiing myself. What the best way to prevent/police this is I am not sure

I have started moving my arm under physio at the end of the week and it has been moving further everytime but it hurts like hell, still no pain no gain i think is the motto in my case at the moment. Got to get myself back for my xmas ski hol after all, not going to let an back bottom ruin that one as well as my summer cycling hol, which is looking very unlikely now
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Now as someone who likes to ski fast on empty or quiet pistes but also has a fiancee who's a beginner, I can see both sides of this argument. I spent a couple of hours each day this last week skiing with my girlfriend in the beginners' area off Les Jeux at Alpe D'Huez (which is clearly marked as a beginners' area with lots of 'speed forbidden' signs) and the number of idiots who flew by on or over the limit of control was scary. One guy in particular was skiing down quickly behind us and started banging his poles together to get us out of the way as he sped through, spooking my girlfriend and resulting in her falling over. I was sorely tempted to catch him and give him a good kicking. The centre of Alpe D'Huez is a bit flat so you do need some speed to get through the area, but there are other runs that people can take avoiding this particular beginners' slope, and when returning to the resort I always used these alternative runs. On this piste which is clearly marked and with alternative runs down available I would certainly advocate the use of speed cameras. Other runs where there are no alternatives I would certainly not, but would like to see monitors with the power to admonish those skiing out of control with inappropriate speed, something a speed camera cannot judge.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What they need to do is Stop the Brutal Grooming.

Groomed slopes only create very (technically)bad skiers. The vast majority cannot ski Powder, bumps or different varying snow conditions.

Get rid of the pistes & you eliminate the Speed.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
30 kph is walk in the park when you are on ski. There is nothing wrong with speeding if you know your abilities. My avarage speed thru the day this year was 60 km/h., with top at 106km/h.,and i dont count myself as an expert http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/workoutdetail/index.do?id=64617 I just like speed skiing. all this speed camera thing will make more bad than good.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
problem is serjoe there are too many who speed in the wrong place, the guy wo hit me was austrian and grown up on skis.
there is a time and place for speed and its not on the general pistes, what happens when a small child does something you are not expecting in front of you and cause of the speed you are travelling you have no time to react?

let me know the resorts you ski at so i can avoid you!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ski girl - if you r beginner don’t try to ski red and black runs. There are rules on the slopes. The place for small children is on the nursery slopes. If parents are stupid enough to let them ski on steep/fast runs no wonder there are accidents. Also another think which made me really angry this season was that most of the kids were dressed in white/cream clothes. I know they look good in white but ... common sense don’t you think. I don’t know the circumstances in your accident, but skiing is harsh sport and many people broken there arms and legs in the queues for the lifts... barely moving so there is always a risk ..with everything.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SERJOE wrote:
There are rules on the slopes.

I suggest you read them yourself as from your posts you clearly haven't grasped them! I've posted them below to save you having to make the effort of finding them. The skier downhill has priority. It's the responsibility of the faster skier to avoid slower skiers. It's also against the FIS rules to ski beyond your range of vision or control. From her report Ski Girl was not in the wrong whatsoever. You ski outside these rules, expect yourself to be sued in case you hit someone.

Rule 2
Collisions usually happen because skiers or snowboarders are moving too fast, out of
control or have failed to see others. A skier or snowboarder must be able to stop, turn and
move within the ambit of his own vision.
In crowded areas or in places where visibility is reduced, skiers and snowboarders must
move slowly especially at the edge of a steep slope, at the bottom of a piste and within
areas surrounding skilifts.

Rule 3
Skiing and snowboarding are free activity sports, where everyone may move where and as
they please, provided that they abide by these rules and adapt their skiing and
snowboarding to their personal ability and to the prevailing conditions on the mountain.
The skier or snowboarder in front has priority. The skier or snowboarder moving behind
another in the same direction must keep sufficient distance between himself and the other
skier or snowboarder so as to leave the preceding skier or snowboarder enough space to
make all his movements freely.

Rule 4
A skier or snowboarder who overtakes another is wholly responsible for completing that
manoeuvre in such a way to cause no difficulty to the skier or snowboarder being
overtaken. This responsibility rests with him until the overtaking manoeuvre has been
completed. This rule applies even when overtaking a stationary skier or snowboarder.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
as i said serjoe, where do you ski?

cause i am avoiding those resorts, your arrogant attitude is the reason that accidents happen. children are capable of skiing reds and blacks, very often more capable than adults. my child started skiing at 4, and has 16wks of skiing to his name, hardly a beginner.
and how do people improve......
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SERJOE, if you can't ski well enough to avoid slower people, maybe you should be on the beginners' slopes too

ski girl, from his sig, looks like he skis in Bansko
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
cross that resort off the list
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski girl, Arno, I was in Bansko this year when my accident happened read my resort report... Bansko Feb 2008 and it will put you off going there anyway.

I was just making my way steadily and safely down the ski road when the woman came from behind at high speed and literally knocked me right off my feet - I went sprawling and really twisted my knee. She stopped and asked if I was ok but when I replied angrily that I wasnt she turned round and skied off! What a total ignorant fool. Fortunately some kind man saw it all happen and stopped to help me - he said he had a good mind to chase her and give her a piece of his mind but by the time he had got me up and found my poles etc she was well gone. I am so angry because I took it really easy all holiday, never went past my ability and then got injured by someone elses obvious lack of skill and ability. Grr it makes me mad................... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thats awful, especially skiing off like that no wonder you were mad.

until idiots like the ones that hit us are dealt with (and i will include serjoe in this as well) innocent skiers will continue to get injured. what annoys me is there is no real consequence for there actions yet for the people that were hurt we have to live with the injury and the consequences of the injury, i still do not fully know this for mine apart from being signed off work for at lest 12 wks, no driving for 3 months, extensive physio for months, poss operation , plus unlikely to regain full range of movement in my shoulder - i do triathlons

for serjoes information, i am not a beginner, usually fit in 2 wks skiing a year
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
One should not assume that around the next corner all will be well, but if someone skis so defensively that they stop at the top of every brow, or have to tip toe round every corner so they can check everything on the slope ahead of them, then they have become a danger to other skiers.
The scouts motto of "be prepared" is the right one. But it's not "be prepared" then do nothing.

Oh what a load of old Crapola !

Anyone considering that people exercising caution ahead of them are presenting a danger to you and other skiers like you has to be pigeon-holed into the 'most dangerous' group in my opinion. rolling eyes

As St Anton says, leave the pistes ungroomed and speed is naturally controlled. As for speed cameras, what a silly idea. Little Angel
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am in favour of lift pass removal for skiing which endangers others.
This would require giving the piste patrol the power and probably greater numbers but also would depend on their subjective views so would have to have some sort of "three strikes and you're out" arrangement in order to prevent a single "foolish moment" resulting in a ban.
I suppose that this might be moderately easy to do if the pisteurs carried card readers (in hands-free resorts) or simply a ticket-clipping device in resorts with older systems.

I'm really sorry to hear about your injury ski girl, and hope that your improvement is rapid and as full as possible.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
arno- I can ski good enough to avoid anyone - i haven’t been in an accident since I’ve started skiing 20 years ago. I haven’t been face in the snow. Last 3 seasons even my bum didn’t touch the snow . I think that is more than good.
Ski girl- I see from where your anger comes from but not all the skiers are like that. All the time I read bad reports about the resort the people been to and hardly find good reports. And all this because we always try to find comfort with our pain. And how do you know that i am arrogant? I am not accusing you for nothing, so please keep your opinions for me for yourself.

Jennyski, -people like the one who hit you are in every resort not only in bansko. Ive been around and ive seen it all.
ski girl, -"until idiots like the ones that hit us are dealt with (and I will include serjoe in this as well) innocent skiers will continue to get injured." Please DO NOT abuse and give opinions for people which you don't know.
snow conditions
Quote:

people like the one who hit you are in every resort not only in bansko. Ive been around and ive seen it all.

SERJOE, You are right there but the fact that Bansko was so vastly overcrowded meant that skiing down the ski road was like skiing the M1 and my chances of getting injured were therefore much higher. Thats why I took things easily and was very careful but what could I do when someone came behind me at high speed and probably couldnt avoid me because there were too many people around. I strongly believe that Bansko is downright dangerous during busy periods like school holidays and I will never be going back there. Lots of other British families felt exactly the same.
snow report
school hols are bad. for that i am avoiding that period(don’t have kids) Ski road is NO-NO. Because of overcrowding on the gondola in the afternoon people prefer to take the road which make it even worse. even when i was there (16-22 dec) there were crowds on the ski road(and the ice was too much).
latest report
SERJOE, Yes, it was icy towards the bottom of the ski road, and getting worse by the day. Bet there were some accidents in the few weeks after we were there as it was difficult to control your speed and direction once you hit the ice .... and I took it easy so I dread to think what would happen to the nutters!
ski holidays
the last time i took the ski road for just under 10 minutes and half way on it (on the corners after the bridge) a guy with estimated weight of about 125kg overtake me (and i thought i was going fast) and skid straight in to the trees. Didn’t bother stopping and checking him as I thought the only damage he may cause is to the trees. I know I should feel bad about it but …I DON’T ! Puzzled
snow report
Nick L wrote:
I am in favour of lift pass removal for skiing which endangers others.
This would require giving the piste patrol the power and probably greater numbers but also would depend on their subjective views so would have to have some sort of "three strikes and you're out" arrangement in order to prevent a single "foolish moment" resulting in a ban.
I suppose that this might be moderately easy to do if the pisteurs carried card readers (in hands-free resorts) or simply a ticket-clipping device in resorts with older systems.

I'm really sorry to hear about your injury ski girl, and hope that your improvement is rapid and as full as possible.

Not tremendously effective for the average holiday skier (not a season pass holder). If I'm a boy racer and my pass gets pulled what's the worst that happens? I have to pay a few quid for additional day passes. Confiscating equipment might be more effective.

I've seen patrol pull season passes and either suspend them for a while or clip them on a 2 clips and you're out principal. This is usually for ducking ropes into avy hazard areas /poaching.
ski holidays
moffatross wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
One should not assume that around the next corner all will be well, but if someone skis so defensively that they stop at the top of every brow, or have to tip toe round every corner so they can check everything on the slope ahead of them, then they have become a danger to other skiers.
The scouts motto of "be prepared" is the right one. But it's not "be prepared" then do nothing.

Oh what a load of old Crapola !

Anyone considering that people exercising caution ahead of them are presenting a danger to you and other skiers like you has to be pigeon-holed into the 'most dangerous' group in my opinion. rolling eyes

As St Anton says, leave the pistes ungroomed and speed is naturally controlled. As for speed cameras, what a silly idea. Little Angel

moffat, I don't expect to ski round a cat track to find a group of skiers with their skis off, walking round the corner because they feel that is exercising caution. But if you tell me that walking round corners is the correct way to "ski", then I'll call "Crapola" on you.

...but I agree about leaving mountains ungroomed.
snow conditions
Moffat,
Just quoting myself from earlier in the thread:

Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
My main point is that to say that 100% of all ski accidents are the fault of the person behind is not correct, and to automatically put the blame on them is a mistake, but popular with victim culture and the lack of responsibility for your own actions that is becoming all too common. Sad

As in the car thread, the inappropriate actions of one person may cause another to have an accident.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy