Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying on internet from German shops, good idea?

Poster: A snowHead
I've had some fantastic advice from people on this site about what ski's to buy. A number of people have said that they got some great bargains from German shops over t' internet!

I've found some great bargains on Sport Conrad and xspo, savings in excess of £100. Am I missing something or are these deals really as good as they appear?

Has anyone got any nightmare stories after buying from these sites? The kind of "I was flying down a black in Val D'Isere when my bindings came off and my skis carried on down the mountain leaving me to tumble down the piste like a cartoon snowball!"

Should I get the ski's checked out by my local ski shop, Sandown Active Sports, before going to Mayrhofen in February?

Finally, any other recommendations on websites/foreign shops to buy from?

Many thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i've purchased 3 sets of skis from ski bilek and been pleased with the serivce every time

watch out as having the binding mounted, shipping and then paying by paypal all adds to the cost, reckon if you win an auction for say £120 they will cost £180 all in delivered to the UK
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, I expected as much from ebay stores. The shops like sport conrad seem more clear on the costs, unless I'm missing something!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski Bilek worked a treat for me
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi

I am living in Germany at the moment and wanted to add that the prices you get in the online German shops are the same as you get in the high street German shops, so deals of up to about £100 cheaper are unlikely to be wonky products. In Germany skis are for some reason cheaper than in Britain.

I just bought myself some lovely new (and cheap Very Happy ) skis from engelhorn sports (in the high street shop). They don't have a great online shop though and I'm not sure if they deliver abraod.

I've also heard good things about ski bilek and they also have their own website, if you don't like ebay auctions. Something like ski-bilek.de but if you google it, I'm sure you'll find it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sar_m, many thanks. I will take a look.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can't remember the name of the one I used but they didn't take paypal so I had to do a bank transfer which cost £20 but it still worked out really cheap. I've used them at xscape and they're brill. My fellow snowheads advised that I get the staff at xscape to check the bindings and DIN which they did without any trouble.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gudo216, I've bought 4 sets of skis from Ski-bilek and the £120 becoming £180 assertion/example made above is a bit unfair. They add 8 Euros (say £6 (given the falling £ Crying or Very sad )), add 4% for Paypal (I think they are allowed to do this because they use an intermediary) and charge 28 Euros (say £22) for delivery.

So the £120 becomes £153 (not £180) including binding fitting and delivery which I think is very reasonable, especially the delivery cost which is similar to that charged by UK sellers.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Having used the Forum Search tool to look for Sport Conrad comments I have found may very positive comments. I think that's my mind made up then, Dynastar Legend 8000 from Sport Conrad it is! Cheers for all the advice.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jtr maybe my memory has faded a little but as I said in my original post i've been very pleased with ski bilek, just wanted to make sure that gudo216 is aware that the price shown is a fair bit lower than what you actually end up paying

having said that plenty of bargains still available from them! Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sport Conrad - excellent service, excellent price, fast delivery - direct , not ebay

edited to correct company name

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 5-01-08 0:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
great price and service and shipped to a thrid party for binding fitting with no hassle
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Done it a few times with succesful results. But you really do have to consider *ALL* the costs. E.g. many shops don't accept paypal/visa, so you must cost in the inter-bank transfer: £22 when I last did one...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sport conrad - the price you see is the price you pay., they do accept visa/mc etc. you do pay carriage and it's very clear how much.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Same goes for sportline24.de - no added extras except 8 euros to mount the bindings if required. No credit cards but just filled a 'relay' form in at the bank for a tenner I think - fast delivery, no probs.
latest report
Excellent, don't you just love those Germans and their efficiency!
snow conditions
The Ski-bilek 8 Euro charge for fitting the bindings (the same as sportline24.de) and the 28 Euro delivery charge (Sport Conrad charge 25 Euros) appear to be the going rates and are clearly shown, not hidden, on their ebay site. If you don't like ebay, you can buy direct from their on-line shop but that normally works out as the more expensive option.

Paying by Paypal is not mandatory. You can pay by inter-bank transfer and suffer the extra cost if you have a religious objection to using Paypal.

I recently bought my third set of Fischer skis from them and I reckon the all up cost of these skis from Ski-bilek has worked out at 60% to 67% less than the UK RRP. However, the fewer people who use them, the better. It will reduce biding competition when I have to make my next purchase wink
snow report
jtr, on a related topic, when the skis are listed on ebay by ski-bilek they show what sizes are available. If you win the bid what's the process afterwards to make sure you get the right size and also if you want a wax or ski bag etc ?
latest report
pokemon you get to choose the size after winning the bid and also what extras you want such as wax, binding mounting, ski bag etc

all very straightforward Very Happy
snow report
pokemon wrote:
jtr, on a related topic, when the skis are listed on ebay by ski-bilek they show what sizes are available. If you win the bid what's the process afterwards to make sure you get the right size and also if you want a wax or ski bag etc ?

You are routed to another site (www.afterbuy.de) where you fill out the details of the size of ski you want, bindings upgrades (if they are offered) and, if you are getting the bindings fitted, you fill out the usual stuff about height, weight, ability and boot sole length (with the usual disclaimer about getting them rechecked with your actual boots). This is also where you can choose how you want to make the payment.

I've never gone for the ski wax option, so can't help on this. As for the ski bag, I don't know whether this would involve extra delivery costs but I've always bought mine in the UK because the costs have been reasonable.

Edit .... or as Roger C said, using a lot less words. Embarassed
latest report
XSPO.de were very good when I bought my RX8's a few weeks back. There was a glitch with the courier which delayed delivery for a couple of days but no big deal and XSPO's staff were very helpful (and spoke excellent English). At a cost saving (including all delivery charges etc) of over £150 compared to Ellis Brigham, I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.
snow report
Quote:

Same goes for sportline24.de

They're the people I used! I thought they were very efficient and very cheap as well.
snow report
Roger C, jtr, cheers
snow report
Woo-hoo! One pair of Dynastar Legend 8000 Fluid have arrived from Sport-Conrad today. Beautiful, Feb 9th and a week in Mayrhofen can't come soon enough!

I thoroughly recommend sport-conrad.de to everyone.

Thanks for all the advice!
snow conditions
Maybe I'm being thick, but I can't figure out how to order from Ski Bilek's website? Can you only buy from them via ebay?
snow report
beanie1, Go to the contact .... find the phone number .... and call them!

gudo216, Conrad are wicked expesically for Touring gear.
snow conditions
beanie1 wrote:
Maybe I'm being thick, but I can't figure out how to order from Ski Bilek's website? Can you only buy from them via ebay?

Link here to the ebay shop http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Ski-Bilek
latest report
Sounds good to me, but I always search around for previous season's stock. Often you can get great deals from the UK or elsewhere. Normally 50-60% off RRP. Bought my last 3 pairs like that. One from Lockwoods, one from Devon ski and the last from a shop in the US. All brand new surplus stock at the end of season, less than a year old.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm thinking of buying some skis from xspo.de - can anyone tell me how long they take to deliver? I can't seem to find it on the website (and my german is not that good!)

Robin
snow conditions
I have bought from both sport conrad and ski bilek -best bargain was £100 for 2006/7 karmas! .they all speak very good english and both do super quick delivery.can recommend them both
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy