Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIN setting

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi!

I've just bought a new pair of skis and bindings in Germany and the guy who was mounting them measured the width of my knee in order to determine my DIN setting. Ive never heard of this before and was wondering if anyone here can explain how this works.

He didn't even ask me my weight or height, just my knee measurement (4.5, whatever that means Shocked ) and how good a skier I am. The shop (engelhorn sports in mannheim) generally has quite a good reputation but I dont understand how this measurement can be accurate Confused .

Normally my DIN is about 6 but I don't collect the skis til tomorrow so don't know what setting he's put it at yet.

I would be very grateful if someone could explain!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I distribute bindings and have never heard this. Interested also to hear if any snowHead have heard of it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Never heard of it, but it does make some sort of sense - the narrower your knee the less strong it is likely to be and so the lower the DIN would need to be to avoid wrenching it. Depends of course on what you see the purpose of your binding as - something to release the ski at the first chance of an injury, or something to stop the ski from leaving you in the lurch half way down a gnarly slope. Wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm 6ft, 14.3st and have spent most of my time skiing on-piste. I have been skiing for quite a while and consider myself fairly competent in that i can ski any run on-piste without much difficulty. I have had the odd foray off-piste and am starting to get more and more into the world of off-piste skiing.

My questiuon is, should I be increasing my DIN setting for off-piste and powder skiing? I ski on K2 Apache Recons with the Marker 12 bindings and my DINs are currently set on 8.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hornster, Only increase the din if you need it. I know that doesnt really answer your question but as this is an on-line forum it would be unprofessional for me to just say "crank em up mate" stick to your recommended din as advised by the manufacturer (I could only find this for Marker http://cholla.mmto.org/skiing/markerDIN.html )

If you find they pre-release, then you'll have to make the call as many do skiers to wind them up.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kiwi1, cheers for the info.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kiwi1, excellent DIN setting table. Cheers!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Similar DIN information but a bit prettier

http://www.salomoncertification.com/manuals/TM05ENvWEB.pdf
http://www.salomoncertification.com/manuals/AdjustmentPoster05ENvWEB.pdf

Lots of other Salomon technical stuff here
http://www.salomoncertification.com/manuals/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can nobody answer my question? Sad

I've kind of found an answer my self so if anybody's interested read on!

The guy wasn't measuring my knee but the width of the top of my tibia bone and this gives an accurate measurment of how many newtons (how much force) it would take to break/wrench/severly damage. You can then use this measurment combined with how good a skier you are to determine what your DIN is (though I don't know the calculations to do this!). So basicly the idea is exactly what GrahamN said.

Now my only problem is that they set my DIN at 5.0 and according to the guy in Ellis Brigham I should be 6.0, but according to the chart that Kiwi1 posted I should be 5.5!!!!! Puzzled

So now my question is should I just leave it at 5.0 and do some tests in my living room to make sure it doesn't pop out too easily or should I go back and get it cranked up a bit?

hopefully someone can answer this question Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sar_m wrote:
Can nobody answer my question? Sad

I've kind of found an answer my self so if anybody's interested read on!

The guy wasn't measuring my knee but the width of the top of my tibia bone and this gives an accurate measurment of how many newtons (how much force) it would take to break/wrench/severly damage. You can then use this measurment combined with how good a skier you are to determine what your DIN is (though I don't know the calculations to do this!). So basicly the idea is exactly what GrahamN said.

Now my only problem is that they set my DIN at 5.0 and according to the guy in Ellis Brigham I should be 6.0, but according to the chart that Kiwi1 posted I should be 5.5!!!!! Puzzled

So now my question is should I just leave it at 5.0 and do some tests in my living room to make sure it doesn't pop out too easily or should I go back and get it cranked up a bit?

hopefully someone can answer this question Very Happy

Follow Kiwi1's advice. Only raise the DIN setting if you need it. Examples of need could be:
Pre-release
Carrying a heavy pack
Skiing steep and deep where a lost ski could have very serious consequences.
Weight gain!

Many DIN charts lower the settings with age as well. Did they all ask the Q?

If it helps any, I have lowered the DIN settings on test skis to my usual 5.5 after resort shops have set them at 6.5 Shocked
How the boot sits in the binding is just as important as the numbers on the dial.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowbunny, Boot Sole Length

trumps, thumps, beats the face and teeth in, kicks the kidneys loose, splits the spleen open and leaves for dead every one of those examples.

All it would take is one hire boot to be, oh, 315 mm and the other one 299mm: the _same_ release torques would be represented as a different number in the indicator window.

Do we know that sar_m has his own boots?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy