Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel versus Alpes D'Huez

Poster: A snowHead
I should be working but 20 minutes on here won't hurt...

My son (20 yrs) and I, went to Val D'Isere last Feb, the atmosphere in town and getting up the hill was so much better than Bulgaria. Shops were a bit pricey but except for baguettes at lunchtime we ate and drank in the chalet.

So I'm musing now between Courchevel 1850 and Alpes D'Huez. I know C1850 is the dear end but that's where I've found a nice chalet.

A quick bit of research this morning suggests hot chocolates on the mountain in C1850 could bankrupt me, and ADH might have a lot of drag lifts (I do like a sit down betwen runs).

We are both intermediates with occassional ventures into the park over v. small jumps. We don't drink heavily or eat at expensive restaurants, and it will probably be half term week.

How do C1850 and ADH compare ?

Mike
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ADH does have quite a lot of drag lifts but I am struggling to think of any which you *have* to use. You can usually find a chair lift or gondola which takes you to pretty much the same place as the drag lift.
On hill dining in the ADH area can be very good and is quite reasonable price-wise
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno, ..and nice wide, well-groomed runs ? Blues/reds.. and I don't mind the blacks being steep that's not a problem but do they get very mogully (which I hate) ?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ADH has a pretty good range of pistes, as has Courchevel. you'll get strong advocates for both. i go back to the ADH area almost every year - i like it for the low key atmosphere (generally I don't stay in ADH itself, not that it is particularly upscale) and quiet off-piste so i have slightly different priorities from you
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
micky wrote:
Arno, ..and nice wide, well-groomed runs ? Blues/reds.. and I don't mind the blacks being steep that's not a problem but do they get very mogully (which I hate) ?

the famous black runs at ADH off the summit do get mogully (seriously).Sarenne tends to be pisted and is an up market red. Courchevel are well groomed pistes that tend to stay in better nick as they are north facing. ADH is a lovely sun trap with great slopes but can get heavy in march if temperatures pick up. you don't need to bankrupt yourself in courchevel. There are 1 or 2 places to steer clear of. I think you as much at risk at ADH of an expensive round albeit there are some places to be very wary of.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 4-01-08 18:20; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't find many drag lifts in ADH but I never ski at the bottom section near the town centre either.

I think as "a" resort ADH is more interesting and pretty wide and deep too. Courchevel is beefed up by the Meribel, Les Menuires and Val Thoren.

I never stay in either resorts but if Courchevel 1850 is expensive I am sure other places like 1600 or La Tania should be cheaper. Is it mandatory to stay at a "posh" section of the resort when you can ski anywhere you want? One can stay in St Martin, Les Menuires or Val Thoren to ski the 3 Vallees.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alpe d'Huez! I have done seasons in both, didn't rate Courchevel (and particularly not 1850). ADH doesn't have an excessive number of drags, has plenty of variety, lively down-to-earth nightlife (no chance of getting shot by Russian pimps), reasonably priced eating establishments, both on and off the mountain. Pass includes use of pool, gym and sports facilities, as well as free days in 2Alpes (accessible by helicopter ride!). Knocks spots off CVL.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
saikee, what is that stick man on your signature supposed to be doing ?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ADH is in front at the moment, nobody's mentioned hot chocolate yet, and Lizzard's view carries a bit more weight as he has done a season in both
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
micky, he????????? Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Courchevel has better piste grooming and less chance of getting sunburn, but for me ADH wins on every other count.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Apart from the cost and the Russians, Courchevel is one of the worlds great, if not greatest, ski resort.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman, so apart from the fact that it is overpriced, crap and annoying, it's great! Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, wink Crap and annoying, but still the best ski resort in the world.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman, for me, crap and annoying = rubbish. Call me old fashioned if you like, but there it is.
snow report
Going against the grain - we've been to both, but much prefer Courchevel. AdH skiing and particularly the lift system seemed rather limited. It was very bleak - no trees although to be fair some of the runs weren't open due to poor snow when we went. OTOH the food was very good, and our chalet (right by the Red Kite from the TdF) was very comfortable. The quality of the tuition available there when we went was not impressive (i.e. ESF or a very grumpy British bloke) although it may have improved in the last few years. There was a very good piste-side restaurant on the Vaujanay side (off the red piste - can't remember the name).

1850 is expensive if you eat in the wrong places. However, if you go to the hole in the wall next to the Chalet des Pierres (on piste cafe) you can get a Panini for 4 and a bit euros and a choc chaud for about 3 euros. You can always pop over into Meribel/Mottaret and get a decent cheapish meal too. 1650 isn't as expensive, neither is 1550 or La Tania or Le Praz. However if you decide to eat in the trendy places at La Croisette you will pay for it.

I can't comment on Apres in either place, as we don't do Apres - we've always done too much skiing to be interested in anything other than sleeping in the evenings!

Courchevel has links to 3V, but also quite a lot of pleasant runs through trees into 1850, 1650 and down to La Tania/Le Praz etc. Lots of good BASI ski tuition available (Supreme Ski).

Agree, Courchevel piste grooming is by far the best. After a big dump, the pisteurs in AdH allowed it all to get blown/skied off while they contented themselves building a big kicker in the terrain park with what appeared to be all available piste-bashers. Not impressed.
snow report
johnnyboy, I assumed all lizards are male. Sorry if I got it wrong Lizzard, how did you come up with that tag ?
snow report
micky, I think about 50% are male Very Happy
snow conditions
Its neck and neck again. I do prefer skiing down tree lined slopes (eg Bansko) as opposed to the glacier at LDA. I'm just a bit worried about having to check prices before I enter cafes in Courchevel, I do hate getting stung.

We won't be going to ski school, we find it very frustrating.

Interesting how opinions can vary. (I have never understood why anyone would buy a Mercedes saloon in red)

docsquid, were you a family group, with young children ?
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, my brain had lizzards in the same genus as lechers who are obviously all male...

The double zz might be clue of some sort...

Goodnight all..
ski holidays
micky, never been to ADH but been to Courchevel 1650 twice and Meribel once. Courchevel is fantastic. There are cheaper places to eat. The restuarant at the top of Chenus is self service but was pretty good and reasonable. Lovely tree lined runs down to La Tania with a few cheap take out places when you get there.
ski holidays
micky, if you can get a reasonable deal in Courcheval go with that. Just don't have lunch in 1850 or at least check the price first. It's a big area, it's very unlikely you'd be having lunch in 1850 anyway. Just have lunch in one of the smaller villages.
ski holidays
micky,

The stick man is an avatar. Possibly a skier after a session of Apres.

Going back to Coucheval and ADH. My opinion is the choice is more related to the skier's ability to enjoy the terrain.

Been to Coucheval 5 to 6 times and doing mainly day trips. The first time was the best because the 1850 chairlift station area (Chenus, Verdons, Jardin Alpin & Grangettes lift stations) must be a beginner's paradise. However in every subsequent re-visit I find the place too crowded and "ordinary".

I have been to ADH only twice but found more areas to explore. This could be due to the fact I have improved my skiing over the years and am able to try more black piste which ADH has more. Courcheval highest point is Saulire at 2659m and the lowest at Le Praz at 1300m. ADH peaks at 3330 and the bottom of Lenversin D'oz is significantly lower than Vaujany station marked 1250m. Thus ADH has a longer and more enjoyable run if one tries to ski from the highest to the lowest point. The ADH's Sarenne run is the longest black the Alps and it was stony when I tried it so I couldn't say it was enjoyable but I now know it is relatively easy with only a steep top section.

Therefore personally as a beginer/early intermediate I preferred Courcheval but graduated to like ADH more in the end. I don't know if I could, like Frosty the Snowman, label Courcheval as the "best" resort as I would have at least half a dozen better choices. Courcheval, plus the rest of the 3 Vallees, could be the best resort if there is only 1/10 of skiers there.
snow report
I've been to ADH 4 times when I was an improving beginner/intermediate and thought it had everything. The runs down to Vaujany and Oz are really enjoyable, and all the sections offer different things. I was too inexperienced to tackle the blacks and steep reds at the time, so I'd love to go back and have another go. Not entirely sure I'd brave the Tunnel even now though! I'm told it's truly evil; not only extremely steep but giant moguls as well and it's NEVER pisted.

Courchevel is a superb resort. I went there for the first time before Christmas (well, I was staying in Meribel Mottaret but we skiied a lot in CVL). I think the three valleys offer huge mileage, so if you're someone who likes to ski something different every day, then it's for you.

To be honest I don't think you'll be disappointed either way. My brother is an outstanding expert skier and he has skied most reports in France plus many others in Europe, and Courchevel is by far his favourite.

If I had to choose I'd say ADH, because it's been so long since I was there and I loved it at the time.
snow conditions
micky,
Quote:

Just back from Alpe D - if you dont like moguls - then dont bother with the blacks - its infested with moguls - especially La Balme - saw a woman totally bottle it on there and just stop while her friends talked her down. Sarenne is easy but there is plenty there that isn't. La foret down to Villard Reculas is a great run - but more moguls (and trees!) The skiing down to Oz is very good. Also the blues on the glacier and from marmottes 1 (La Vachettes) are great for speed loving intermediates.

Cracking resort though. Had a fab time and despite some suggestions on here we found the ESF fantastic! We are going back there again.

Alpe D was recommeded to me on snowheads last year and it was a perfect choice.

Cheers to all snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy