Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question - Board with a dodgy back or have an operation

Poster: A snowHead
rayscoops,
Quote:

Have you had any achilles problems whilst exercising (walking/cycling) due to the difference in strength between each leg?

Not quite that I could identify as such, but I did initially find that a got cramp very easily in my right (dodgy) leg, the calf get very stiff, and I still have do a lot more stretching with it to keep it mobile.

Robin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rayscoops, max sympathy for your ailing spine and i hope your sorted soon.. but surely the best thing you can do for your back and boarding chances now is lose weight and do whatever core work you can ?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CANV CANVINGTON, are you calling Ray fat Twisted Evil
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rayscoops wrote:
To put it in to perspective I have had to stop rugby, then had to stop using the rowing machine at the gym, then had to stop using the (light) weights and all I use now is the silly cross trainer thingy with the girls Very Happy .

i would never do any of those things but still like to ride wink

good luck with op, you will be back before you know it and there are a million other ways to enjoy the hills.

i would have said bad back, don't board, the type of falls that can happen probably not worth it, gentle gentle ski ? maybe. Still have memories of one of my guests who had to stay an extra 2 weeks cos of a snowboard fall and severe spinal bruising of somesort, it was not fun.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CANV CANVINGTON, the disc is fooked - out of shape with multiple lacerations in it and pressing against the nerve (it actually seems to have moved the nerve slightly to one side), even if I was as skinny as a drugged-up rock star it would not revert back to its original shape and pull away from the nerve!

DebbiDoesSnow, Canv would not be so impolite as that wink

hsdee, ski ??? Puzzled Shocked Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rayscoops, did i say ski Shocked i meant ski-boarding Blush
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well I was just about to take my self of the waiting list so I could board this winter - then I get a message that they have a slot for me on Monday and can I come to the hospital for a few blood tests and sign up for the op!!

So Sunday evening it is off to the hospital I go, and Monday morning some chap is going to stick a knife in my back Shocked hope there are some fit nurses wink

Hopefully I will be fit and boarding by Dec 16th for a short trip to L2A !! Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rayscoops, good luck for the op & i'll keep me fingers crossed that you don't get the KFC nurse !!!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
"hefty Bill" a lovely lass. good luck ray. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rayscoops,

All the best...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cheers guys, and the op is free on the NHS Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rayscoops, best of luck mate. Hopefully see you in Dec snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rayscoops, Hope all goes well Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, all the best mate. Keep us informed...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops, hope it al went well/ see you on the slopes, hopefully Very Happy
snow report
Thanks guys

Well had the op before they could even find me a bed, and started walking after 8 hours so things are looking good for boarding by xmas !!

Not too sure about these DVT stockings though !

I think I should nt be using my Bbry here though !!!
snow report
rayscoops, sounding good so far! Hairy legs and thick white stockings is not a good fashion statement ! Glad things have gone smoothly, how are the nurses wink
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow wrote:
Hairy legs and thick white stockings is not a good fashion statement ! .................., how are the nurses wink

ray, hope the two statements aren't connected Laughing speedy recovery.
latest report
DebbiDoesSnow, rogg,

Laughing

Glad it went well rayscoops....
snow conditions
Good news rayscoops. Best Wishes for the recovery.
snow conditions
Cheers guys, well I have climbed some steps and convinced the physio that I can go home, not bad for 26 hours from end of surgery to end of hospital
latest report
rayscoops, superb news ...
now comes the really tough part .... resting & exercising as the DR ordered and even worse watching shite daytime TV
snow conditions
rayscoops, Hope you have a good recovery, and don't try to do much too soon. I found I was much weaker for much longer than I expected. Good news - despite not getting much more feeling back, 14 months on I am still getting stronger and fitter, and my skiing is still improving.
snow conditions
RobinS, things are going really well and I understand that I should take it easy but i just can not do that because I am feeling so good Shocked

as I said I was walking the same day of the op (Monday), walking up and down the ward at 7 am the next day (Tues), walking elsewhere in the hospital at mid-day trying to escape, did the 'stairs test' at 2 pm and walked out the door at 5pm on Tuesday for a couple of nights with my sister.

Wednesday went for a stroll up the High Street about 400 meters and found that quite tiring becasue of a slight hill to shuffle up, Thurday went for two strolls, one for brekkie (400 meters) and one a bit further - maybe 800 meters. Thursday evening jumped in my car and drove home (10 miles or so) and Friday (today) I am doing a few chores and back in work for a couple of hours - due to being bored Very Happy

I am walking without too much pain (no pain killers either) and starting to climb stairs withouth actually thinking about it and I am also fighting the urge to go out and have a few beers tonight Very Happy, but even taking all of that in to account I am not really pushing myself Very Happy

DebbiDoesSnow, day time TV is not good and I will excercise instead Little Angel
snow report
rayscoops, beer / pub will do you the world of good Twisted Evil
latest report
Quote:

I am also fighting the urge to go out and have a few beers tonight
Don't stress...I have that covered... Toofy Grin

Edit: well it appears it is not covered anymore.. Sad Sad
Accomodation is not provided anymore so got to drive home...a real pain to live so far from work sometines! Mad
snow conditions
glad it went well ray
ski holidays
rayscoops, Brilliant - sounds like great progress. I've had just the one op in my life, not back, and it's enough to make me never want another.

How old are you? The ideal age to have a big op like that is mid/late 30's as it will co-incide with your MLC and you will end up the healthiest pensioner in the world. Presuming you're my age-ish (42), when the body starts to talk to you, listen.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, Tignes in Dec then? Cool
snow report
Cheers guys, off to the sea front here to walk a few miles along the prom !

Jonm, L2A already booked some time ago for Dec

Red27 - at 43 my MLC just blended into all the stuff I did and continue to do

Nigelb - innsbruck looking ok too !
ski holidays
well, a five mile walk on Sunday that included scrambling down to the 'Three Cliffs' Gower beach, staples (quote from the nurse - 'oh - only nine staples') taken out of the wound on Monday and back to work today, Tuesday !!

I might wax my board on the weekend Very Happy and think about some cheapie gear in TK Maxx Very Happy
latest report
rayscoops, well done Cool
latest report
rayscoops, gosh, that sounds like a great recovery - are you sure you haven't been given good drugs? wink
snow report
rayscoops, amazing recovery !
ski holidays
rayscoops,

Are you actually sure they have done anything to your back?? I mean you were asleep, for all you know they may have just put in a few stiches staples for show and that's it! Toofy Grin

I went to TK Maxx at the weekend: a few things but it's not full scale yet....

Decathlon had blocked off an entire area and you could see that a lot of the boxes were ski/snowboard gear, so its slowly building up...
snow conditions
cheers guys

Kruisler, I hope they did actually do something Shocked otherwise I wore stockings and a dress for no real reason Very Happy

To be honest I am a bit worried by the speed of the recovery Shocked Very Happy ...... not......... Cool
snow report
rayscoops, they just wanted to dress you up

sounding good for innsbruck Very Happy
ski holidays
How's the back rayscoops?
snow report
great thanks, no pain, walking as before the op, but on Monday I got out of bed and it had relapsed and I was lurching about like an old(er) man, but just for a day though, yesterday I was climbing ladder on a building site and today it is a lot better - i nearly broke in to a jog on the weekend !! Very Happy Shocked
ski holidays
good news...snowboarding odds look better and better...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy