Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Chains

Poster: A snowHead
Am looking at the following snow chains

Maggi TRAK
Spikes-Spiders SPORT

I have VW Passat Estate '51 with 205/60R15 (ABS, Traction control, Stability programme)

Just wondering if anyone would recommend one more than the other or any niggles etc

(Would also like to use them in the UK on soft mud as I recently dug myself a nice hole and needed a push out!!!)

Any help much appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andym82, welcome to snowHeads Smile

I've only used Spikes-Spiders so can't compare the two. I've found them significantly easier to fit than traditional chains (no scrabbling around the back of the wheel) but there were a couple of downsides: (1) cost, and (2) they are bulky compared to regular chains so take up a fair amount of boot space.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And they don't fit 22 inch wheels Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
andym82,

Welcome to snowheads. We've talked about snowchains and winter tyres a lot on here (There is a search function top left of the page).
Although easier to fit, trak/spikes don't offer the same performance as chains. Manufacturers often recommend ESP is switched off when using chains. A fully laden car with normal (summer tyres) can be a nightmare when conditions suddenly get worse and you havent had time to put the chains on.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DB wrote:
Although easier to fit, trak/spikes don't offer the same performance as chains.

I've seen several reviews which say that, but is that final 10% of traction performance important for typical conditions when chains are required? When I used Spikes (low speed driving on final approach to/initial descent from resort) they did the job perfectly. As Spikes are so much easier to fit than regular chains I was more likely to use them, rather than keep going and hope that I can get away without having to fit chains (as I tend to do now).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
I've seen several reviews which say that, but is that final 10% of traction performance important for typical conditions when chains are required?

From the reviews I've read it's not 10% difference, it's much more. If you are driving to a resort that receives a high volume of traffic and does not have high altittude/steep alpine approach roads you will probably give away with it. The chain length in contact with the snow underneath the tyre is greater with chains. The chain also extends to the sides of the tyre so they dig into deep snow whereas the "trak" type dig a groove.

I'd imagine very few here have been caught in an alpine snow storm but trust me, when you are caught in a real storm you want all the help you can get = winter tyres and chains.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers guys, wish I'd found this site a bit sooner now!!!

Hmm, that's good to know, I didn't realise there were traction differences.

Basically the reason I'm looking at those two as mentioned is because with the way the chains attach at the back of the tyre they may interfere with the electronic gismo's controlling the braking (traction control). Also as far as I understand they can be attached with the car on sloping ground and with the tyre partially 'submerged' which is not possible with traditional snow chains?

Are the spikes and trak varieties classed as chains (ie legal reasons in Alps) if questioned by police?

Are there any recommended chain varieties for electronic filled cars Puzzled ?

Many thanks
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not a Passat but I have ESP, traction control, abs etc and similar sized wheels - chains are no problem. Who told you there would be a problem? Sportrak types are often the only solution for some vehicles esp where there isn't much clearance between the wheel and the wheel arch (the extra width of the chain hits the inside of the wheel ach).

Just did a search on 205/60R15 with an Austrian snowchain manufacturer and it came up with the following suitable snow chains. Big wheels, high performance (esp non central european) sports cars etc can be a problem but there are many Passats driving around with snowchains here in the winter.

SPORTMATIK SMX (SMX 69)
RING-AUTOMATIK-S LMSB (LM 69 SB)
UZ-SUPER UZ-S (UZ 69 S)
BRENTA-C XMR (XMR 69)
NORDIC STAR N-ST (M29) (N 08 ST)

http://www.pewag.com/kataloge/Schneeketten_f_PKW_und_4x4/cat_43/Schneeketten_f_PKW_und_4x4.html?

PS Whats a "Passat '51" ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB, I would imagine he means a 51 plated Passat.

I've just bought some chains for my 56 plated BMW and that has a lot of electronic gizmos, BMW is happy for chains to be fitted (and sells them for 4-5 times the price than elsewhere).

My only issue was the tight clearance, so settled for 9mm chains and did a test fit a couple of days ago to make sure all was well.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We live in the French Alpes, as you can imagine a good amount of snow, I've driven a variety of cars from MPV to 4x4 on snow. To be honest only snow chains meet requirements and would only recommend chains. I suggest you talk with your dealer to find out if chains are suitable for a particular car then buy a set of Goodyear chains, Goodyear have an excellent range covering most sizes, from my experience they are strong and considerably cheaper than chains purchased from BMW, VW, Landrover etc.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Seeing as you're on the subject, does anyone know if chains are liable to damage alloys?

I'm after a set but am slightly nervous about which are best!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
From my experience - if the correct chains are purchased and fitted, little if any of the chain touches the alloy, the chain touches the rubber of the tyre. Only the rubber tensioners of the snow chains actually touch the alloys so little if any damage is caused by chains. (I’m not sure how this works for low profile tyres)

By all means investigate / try any of the variety of snow traction devices on the market, I would imagine you’ll always return to chains for confidence and traction performance.
They can be a pain to fit especially when stuck in snow, but once fitted they’ll get you to your destination.

If I can offer a little further advise, experiment fitting the chains prior to being stuck in snow i.e. in the warmth of your garage and always carry a set of rubber gloves, stops the top of your fingers dropping off when fitting chains in icy/snowy conditions.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
philw wrote:
DB, I would imagine he means a 51 plated Passat.

Thanks I left England before the new car registration system came in.

roga wrote:
Seeing as you're on the subject, does anyone know if chains are liable to damage alloys?

Chains are designed for winter tyres which are the opposite to low profile. The lower the profile the more likely the chains will damage the alloys. If anyone is planning to drive to a ski resort with ultra wide and low profile tyres I'd strongly advise against it - the car can be replaced but not the inhabitants. I've been in a sports merc (wide low profiles with rear wheel drive) during a bad snowstorm in England (the only one I experienced during over 30 years there) and the thing was a death trap in such conditions. It just slide sideways off the road. I've since experienced worse conditions over the last 7 years here.

Yes people will say such things as "I've been driving to resort X for years and never had problems" but they haven't seen a real storm. Only last November here in Austria the emerency services were fighting against time to prevent people (inc young children) from freezing to death overnight after a motorway became blocked. The blockages were caused by people without winter tyres or chains. For your own safety and the safety of others please equip your car with winter tyres and carry chains (as the locals here do) or take the train / plane. Is it really worth saving a few quid on plane tickets if you are putting family and friends at much greater risk?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB - 100% agree with your sentiments re snow tyres and chains. I also live in the Alps and experienced many serious snow storms, indeed helped many people out.
Unfortunately many drivers visiting our ski resorts in cars fitted with their shinny Halford snow chains seem to think that there’re immune to the extreme conditions and drive at normal speeds - SLOW DOWN. Snow tyres / chains will not help at excessive speeds.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andym82 wrote:
Am looking at the following snow chains

Maggi TRAK
Spikes-Spiders SPORT

I have VW Passat Estate '51 with 205/60R15 (ABS, Traction control, Stability programme)

Just wondering if anyone would recommend one more than the other or any niggles etc

(Would also like to use them in the UK on soft mud as I recently dug myself a nice hole and needed a push out!!!)

Any help much appreciated.

There should be zero issues with the various electronic gizmos on the car, the bigget issue on the passat/a6 is clearance between the inside edge of the tyre and the suspension. You will need a 9mm chain which is sufficiently low profile to ensure it doesnt foul - weissenfels do a low profile version and i'm sure others do too.

Might also be worth asking the dealer if they have any steel wheels kicking about and putting some winter tyres on them....or you can usually pick them up on ebay.

Cheers
David
ski holidays
Thanks for the advice, the tyres are 195/55 R16 - is that what you'd classify as low profile?

There are sites that sell chains for this profile tyre but I'm not sure if they're suitable or not to be honest and I particularly want to avoid any damage to the alloys on my current car, have never bothered about that in the past 'coz I drove cars that I wasn't bothered about.

I've dealt with icy and very snowy conditions in Scotland so have some experience of it although such conditions are as rare as hens teeth in the South West of England where I live at the moment!
latest report
roga wrote:
Thanks for the advice, the tyres are 195/55 R16 - is that what you'd classify as low profile?

195 is the tyre width in mm
55 relates to the height of the tyre. edit - I was too lazy to see what it actually meant but knew it couldn't be inches. The other half was giving me hassle to get off the dam internet so I thought I'd take a guess at mm.
16 is the diameter in inches

That's similar in dimensions to a typical winter tyre so you should be ok with chains. It might actually be worth getting some sort of thick tape to prevent the tensioners from scratching the alloy wheels.

Something like 275/35 R19 would be a nightmare.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 6-01-08 15:29; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Out here I have seen snow sox fitted under snow chains, I’ve often wondered why!!!! Perhaps its to stop the chains damaging the alloys …………may be worth considering buying a cheap pair of snow sox to protect your alloys.
I’ve never damaged any alloys with snow chains and I use chains often, I think you’ll be OK
ski holidays
I've run snowchains, weisenfells clack n'go on 245/45R18 with Alloys. had them on with daily use for over 2 weeks, no damage to wheels or tyres.
snow conditions
DB wrote:
roga wrote:

195 is the tyre width in mm
55 is the height of the tyre wall in mm
16 is the diameter in inches

Not quite right there.
195 is tyre width in mm
55 refers to the percentage of the sidewall height compared to the tyre width.so the sidewall height is 107.25mm
16 is the rim diameter in inches.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy