Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Excuses for taking kids out of school for ski trip?

Poster: A snowHead
Bargain! 50 quid sounds cheap compared to the premium on the holidays in half-term! Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Being a student, As long as your child isnt in GCSE or A Level Years, i wouldnt ever see it as a problem. The school might make a fuss, but im sure its worth the hassle.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sound sanctimonius but tell the truth as to where you are going. don't say sickness or similar. you can hardly say to your kids tell the truth then expect them to be complicit in an untruth. Shade around the holiday issues as to when you can take the holiday and don't involve the kids. Tell the headmaster at parents evening his policies are unrealistic and losing the support of parents who would otherwsie contribute to the PTA
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
we always tell the truth about why the kids are beng taken out of school.
I did have to put my foot down when Mrs P volunteered for the children to do work or keep a diary on holiday. If it is a holiday then they shouldn't have to work at all - unless they want to.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Find a doctor that will give you a sick cert for the week! Family gp's can be very understanding Very Happy. Othet than that go with the my kids are on an educational trip to see a glacier before global warming melts it
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As long as it doesn't drive up the prices for those of us who don't have kids, but still have to suffer the tax and inconveniences that they cause, I say go for it.
Some of us choose to go skiing outside the school holidays specifically to avoid the kids on the slopes, the queues, noise, etc, and then choose to work during the holidays, cause the traffic is a lot lighter!

(semi tongue-in-cheek)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Section 444(1) of the Education Act 1996 provides that a parent commits an offence if his or her child, being of compulsory school age, fails to attend regularly the school at which he or she is a registered pupil. Section 444A allows for a penalty notice to be issued to parents who commit such an offence. The penalty is £50 if paid within 28 days or £100 if paid within 42 days. Failure to pay may result in prosecution where on conviction you would be liable to a fine of up to £1000.

rob@rar, The key there is "regularly". As rayscoops says it is for extreme cases and not for a skiing holiday. You may get a letter from the school but nothing else. But I've taken my daughter out of school before and simply gone to the school and told them. I totally agree with the comment earlier that a child will learn far more in 1 week skiing than 1 week at school so, as long as it isn't every other week, then I don;t see it should be an issue. Of course, there is the problem that Nu Labour know far more about what is best for your kids than you do so they may be some new law or something that means you'll be hung drawn and quartered (and taxed, naturally) for it...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anniepen,
Seems like the most sensible approach; dont suppose anyone could provide a 'template' of suitable request for absence letter that has worked............dont want to risk cocking it up as i am only going to get one shot at this. Where i live there has been some awful cold bugs floating around & as such does not have 100% attendance at this time. However , we have always ensured dentist/doctors etc are scheduled out of school hours & have not taken them out of school 'willy nilly' before.
professorpool,
Have looked at this, & probably will be driving, however the vatiation between 1/2 term & non-1/2 term weeks is a lot more than a couple of hundred quid on accomodation; looking at peak retreats & erna low, the resort property we are considering goes up just shy of £500-00 over the non 1/2 term week before Shocked
Other considerations are more congestion travelling, less travel options available etc+ its going to be so much more busy in resort & basically make the holiday less enjoyable & considerably more stressfull.

thanks to all for the replys , it has been an informative thread (for me at least).

Mitch
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
So what Mad Not having a go at you but so what Mad . Are they going to take your kids into care. No, its just league tables and rubbish. Its so pathetic.

2 friends of mine are married and teach primary school age. They tell me it makes absolutely no difference to a childs education if they are taken out for a week to go skiing. The issue they face is families who takes kids out for months on end to go to India and Pakistan. One week makes no difference. Parents are worse, they think their gifted? kids are going to not enter Harvard becasue they went skiing. Get a life, better still go sking snowHead

No worries - no offence taken Happy - And I agree - I think it is all about tables and kpi's, rather than my kids' education. And I do have a life and I do go skiiing (when I can get away from work nowadays!). And they probably arent going to do much beyond the odd snotty letter. But I really dont need the hassle. Now, for all of us without excuses, can any one tell me how dire the traffic is going to be on Fri Feb 08 - Calais towards Munich..........
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wow !!!! what a load of old Tosh, A family activity holiday is worth far more & has a far greater lifetime benefit than missing a week schooling. I live in Lincolnshire & have 2 boys age 16 & 9 yrs, & have always taken them out of school for holidays & will be doing so next week for 9 days & for another 6 days in Feb.
Wouldnt tell any lies to the Head teacher, all there interested in is maintaining high attendance tables & to meet targets set by the LEA & Govt. Who wants to holiday during School Holidays???? The slopes are quieter & invariably the Snow is better. As for the threat of the EWO (Education Welfare Officer) not an issue if your kids have good attendance levels & anyway the worst they can do is try to fine you £100.00. At the end of the day you know your child best , tell the Head teacher to stuff it if they wont co-operate. I dont bother asking permission anymore as its always refused, simply e-mail the school office a week before.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mikeh, Thanks. Wasn't having a go its just such a non issue snowHead

meyerman, Amen. Great sense wink Cool
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
awksquawk wrote:

rob@rar, The key there is "regularly". As rayscoops says it is for extreme cases and not for a skiing holiday. You may get a letter from the school but nothing else. But I've taken my daughter out of school before and simply gone to the school and told them. I totally agree with the comment earlier that a child will learn far more in 1 week skiing than 1 week at school so, as long as it isn't every other week, then I don;t see it should be an issue. Of course, there is the problem that Nu Labour know far more about what is best for your kids than you do so they may be some new law or something that means you'll be hung drawn and quartered (and taxed, naturally) for it...

Yes, although there doesn't seem to be a definition of what "regularly" actually means. Last time I looked into this it was clear that some schools and/or LEAs have a much stricter interpretation than others.

BTW, this legislation was put in place by the last Conservative government.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From the devon dept of ed guidlines:
Quote:

What happens if the school does not agree?

If the school does not agree, your child's absence will be marked as "unauthorised" in the school register. This record of attendance forms part of his/her Record of Achievement. The absences may even be mentioned in references provided by the school to employers or colleges. It may also cause the school to refer your child to the County Council's Education Welfare Services.

I'd say you can't disguise the fact that you're talking the kids skiiing - you can't expect them to come back to school and not tell everyone what a great time they've had. So tell the school what you're doing (going skiing) why (its quieter - which means less chance of accidents, smaller class sizes for the kids; and its much cheaper) and that while you appreciate that taking them out of school isn't ideal you think its a great opportunity for them to learn a new sport, get exercise, experience new adventurous activities and soak themselves in a foreign atmosphere for a week, so the plusses outweigh the negatives. Stress that you have timed the holiday to avoid exams and whatever, and that you wouldn't do the same thing at a crucial time of your childs educational career such as year 6 sats or gcse year.

I'd also phrase it as "We have booked a holiday and request an authorised absense" (which gives them the option of either granting the authorisation, or marking you down as unauthorised) rather than "We would like to go on holiday - is this ok?" (which lets them say no - and then you're defying them if you do take them.)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
robcraine,
excellent; copy & paste , job done.
ta muchly
Mitch
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When my Kids were at school they came home with a letter for the trip to, wait for it 'Colorado' at a cost of £1280 per pupil, with some places assisted, presumably by the ones who were paying the full price. Needless to say they did not go on this trip, which actually took 3 days out of term time anyway. The whole family went to Meribel instead on a last minute cheapy (same dates) for about the same price of the trip for one + lift passes.

My kids are accomplished Skier's, Snowboarder and if they had gone on this trip like one of there friends did (who is at similar standard) they would have been held back, as the rest of the group were no-where near the standard they are at.

My mate however who is a teacher at the school had a great time on this trip and it cost him his spending money only. The education authorities need to get a grip and come into the real world.

Its not like your spending a week in Benidorm, I think a week once a year does no harm, unless of course it is in GCSE year !!! .
ski holidays
I see nothing wrong with taking children out of school for the occasional family holiday but fail to see why skiing is any more worthy than Benidorm? Puzzled
snow report
T Bar, i think the comment stems from snobbery.

but i'd say a skiing trip is more beneficial than a beach holiday to Benidorm. Your excercising, learning a new skill and in a more cultural environment.

But lets not distract from the point of this thread.
ski holidays
Christopher, you answered the question for me Razz , Unless you consider looking at the sand sculptures as cultural Laughing Ski Snob
ski holidays
Quote:

a crucial time of your childs educational career such as year 6 sats

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sorry, that seems a bit rude on reflection. SATs are of no benefit to a student whatever, in my view. They are just another part of the target process.

snowHead
snow report
Christopher, oh absolutely. 2Alpes in New Year week, for example - cultural as it gets. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Kel wrote:
When my Kids were at school they came home with a letter for the trip to, wait for it 'Colorado' at a cost of £1280 per pupil, with some places assisted, presumably by the ones who were paying the full price. Needless to say they did not go on this trip, which actually took 3 days out of term time anyway. The whole family went to Meribel instead on a last minute cheapy (same dates) for about the same price of the trip for one + lift passes.

My kids are accomplished Skier's, Snowboarder and if they had gone on this trip like one of there friends did (who is at similar standard) they would have been held back, as the rest of the group were no-where near the standard they are at.

My mate however who is a teacher at the school had a great time on this trip and it cost him his spending money only. The education authorities need to get a grip and come into the real world.

Its not like your spending a week in Benidorm, I think a week once a year does no harm, unless of course it is in GCSE year !!! .

My school went on the same trip, similarly I went to St. Anton with my family for the same price for all.

It's just a free trip for the teachers/headmaster at the end of the day.

Although the comment about the skiing ability doesn't really matter at the end of the day as it is a school trip. On my 2 sixth form trips (to austria for cheap Smile) I was far more competent than everyone else, but they were still some of the best trips I've ever had! Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

a free trip for the teachers/headmaster at the end of the day

There is no way I'd take a bunch of students skiing just to get a free trip - not exactly a holiday! I like my students a lot, and trust them, but being responsible for them for 24 hours a day for a whole week just to get some 'free' skiing? No way! And they're all over 16, not school children.
snow report
I'm sure some of the people that go on them don't see them as work..

I know our teachers had a good laugh on our trips. Very Happy
ski holidays
Spikyhedgehog, absolutely - you can have a good laugh, but you are still responsible for the students 24/7. Not necessarily conducive to a 'holiday' feeling.
ski holidays
I take my kids out of school to go skiing, East Dunbartonshire Council send me a letter saying that the absence is unauthorised and that's the end of it, I don't worry about it - maybe I should but life is too short.
(both kids normally have really good attendance and neither of them struggle academically)
snow report
A friend of ours was told by a primary school head that it would be truancy, and to expect a visit from Social Services Shocked
snow conditions
My school went on the same trip, similarly I went to St. Anton with my family for the same price for all.

It's just a free trip for the teachers/headmaster at the end of the day.

Although the comment about the skiing ability doesn't really matter at the end of the day as it is a school trip. On my 2 sixth form trips (to austria for cheap Smile) I was far more competent than everyone else, but they were still some of the best trips I've ever had! Very Happy[/quote]

Oh yes it does matter about the skiing ability, The friend of my sons who went on this trip to Colorado for £1280 is an excellent skier who has been skiing since he was 5, but the next best in the group was only intermediate, so he was held back to skiing with people of this standard. As this is a School Trip he was not allowed to go off without a guide and they would not provide one, solely for him. Sad

With regards for being responsible for Students 24/7 (talking purely about the trip in question), that is not true. The kids go off with the instructors and the teachers are actively discouraged from joining in with the lessons. They are free to ski, when the kids are in ski school.

Come on teachers, we all know what crap you have to put up with, but it's not a bad gig taking the kids skiing and I guess at this price your not going to get many ASBO cases tagging along (ski snobbery again, but the truth)
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, When I asked what exactly "unauthorized absence" meant I was told it meant that they were playing truant. I figure if they are playing truant halfway up an Italien mountain the attendance officer isn't going to catch them - could you imagine the travel expenses?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kel, can you please tell us how many school ski trips you have run, as you seem to be able to make some sweeping statements about staff.

Staff are responsible 24/7. Period. It doesn't matter if they are not with the instructors at the time, they still have parental responsibility. "In loco parentas" (or whatever the correct spelling is) is given to the party leader, never to a ski instructor. As for teachers being actively discouraged from joining in with the lessons......I've never come across that situation. Maybe you need better instructors?
ski holidays
Elizabeth

None, if you are referring to school trips. I am referring to one particular trip which cost £1280, which my children did not go on. However one of there friends did and because of his skiing ability compared to the rest of the group, he did not have a particularly good experience. I have never stated that I had first hand experience, just made the initial point that £1280 is a hell of a lot of money, to send 1 child skiing, and the trip in question took 3 days out of term time anyway which is the initial point of the post and why Colorado : Kids, jet lag, long transfers to slopes everyday. Surely a trip to a European resort could have been done at a fraction of the price and it would have had a more relevant cultural experience.

Here I am talking 1st hand, I actually started skiing at the age of 11, when I went away with the school to a small resort called Cauterets in the Pyrenees. As a cutural experience for this Catholic school a day trip to Lourdes was part of the programme. I was lucky enough to go on this trip every year at secondary school and by the time I had reached the 4th year, me and a few other regulars were excused from the trip and were allowed to ski, but I always brought a bottle of Holy water back for my Grandma

IMHO I would sooner put that kind of money towards the whole family going skiing, oh and by the way the child who did go on the trip has actually been away with my family and vice versa and both myself and the other parents involved accepted full responsibility for the other child.

With regards to better instructors, the point I am making is that the teachers were not present in the childrens lessons, they were free to do what they wanted, presumably ski, so fair play to them.

I have however organized trips in the past and not profited by one Penny, I even threw the free 2 places into the pot, but that's me. I doubt there would be many teachers volunteering (which there was and again I am referring to the School my kids went to, not generalising!!) if it was not a freebie!!.
Laughing
snow report
Kel, all I was saying is that school skiing trips aren't always about the skiing. It's about having a holiday with your schoolfriends! Regardless of what ability everyone is, it's just a different kind of holiday.

I've been skiing since I was 4 and had done approx. 35 weeks on snow when I went on my first school trip (granted it cost £350, I agree with you that the colorado trip is outrageous). The next best person had done around 4 weeks on snow.. I still thought it was a brilliant experience however, because I got to ski with my classmates!
ski holidays
Totally agree Spikeyhedgehog, If I had never gone on the school trips I may never have skied at all, which would probably have meant my wife and my children may never have skied either. The school trips I went on 30+ years ago were definitely the highlight of the year for me and we had the best laugh ever.

I can remember this one boy who was shy introverted and probably got picked on if I am being honest, the ski trip was the making of him, it brought him out of his shell, he made friends which he had never had and this carried forward into school life. I can honestly say that the trip changed that kids life !!.

I am actually still in contact with the teacher who organized the trips 'Mr Jonston' I call him 'Bill' Now. We met up in St Gervais a few years ago and he and his wife had lunch with my family and I passed my sentiments onto him. It actually brought a tear to his eye, when I said if it was not for him we as a family may never even had tried skiing.

So if anyone thinks I am just doing a bit of teacher bashing you could not be more wrong. But how anyone can justify £1280 for a school trip to Colorado is totally beyond me. Elizabeth B if you read my post's and quote me, what are the sweeping statements about staff I have made ? . I can only presume you mean this : quote me 'My mate however who is a teacher at the school had a great time on this trip and it cost him his spending money only. The education authorities need to get a grip and come into the real world.'

If the education authoroties think that £1280 is an amount of cash which is available to an average family to send 1 kid away for a week, then yes I stand by my statement 'come into the real world'. As for the teacher friend of mine who went on the trip, of course he was responsible for the kids and this was the main reason for him being there. But he got to ski all week in Colorado for free, now that's not bad work if you can get it.
ski holidays
ickabodblue wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, When I asked what exactly "unauthorized absence" meant I was told it meant that they were playing truant. I figure if they are playing truant halfway up an Italien mountain the attendance officer isn't going to catch them - could you imagine the travel expenses?

You could always ski away from the attendance officer if they came after you! snowHead

Always dissapointed there was a never ski trip at my school. I would have always wanted to go with my friends. They've finally organised one for easter 2008, but it sounds awful.
ski holidays
Mitchell, Tell them you are travellers. The PC brigade will then be powerless to do anything.

Offer to tarmac their drives to add credibility.
ski holidays
professorpool, one of the main reasons to avoid half term is the hideous crowding in many places. It's nice to go at a much quieter time, if possible. I think the suggestion that you tell the school the children will be safer out of holiday time is a good one! It's certainly true.
ski holidays
I took my daughter out last year for a week, I work away so that was one excuse. I missed bing with her Christmas and New Year this year due to work commitmen. I am going to suggest she does a short presentation when she gets back if they want (aren't parents great) and will take school work with us. Hard life for an 11 year old. Toofy Grin

I have always asked permission rather than stated I will take her out of school with none, its good to try and keep the head on side. For the last four years I haven't had a problem.
ski holidays
Kel, while I agree with most of what you are saying, it was this bit that I was picking up on when I asked how many school ski trips you have staffed.

Kel wrote:
Come on teachers, we all know what crap you have to put up with, but it's not a bad gig taking the kids skiing and I guess at this price your not going to get many ASBO cases tagging along (ski snobbery again, but the truth)

Maybe this is true for the school you know about, but it is not true for most. Running a ski trip is hard work. At least one member of staff has to do "sick duty", you may have another one doing hospital runs...in fact I can tell you from 1st hand experience of two trips where the 6 staff managed around 10-15 hours skiing....BETWEEN THEM ALL WEEK! Now, that may sound like an easy week to you, but I can assure you that when you've been woken up at 4am for the third night running because one of the kids is homesick and crying or (2nd night) one of the kids has attempted suicide, paying £699 for a weeks holiday sounds like a bargain. But then teachers who run ski trips USUALLY don't do it for the personal skiing, they do it becasue it gives the kids an opportunity that they wouldn't otherwise get. I've seen kids from a council estate in Dudley who had never seen snow before.....they didn't get very far with skiing on the 1st day, as all they wanted to do was build snowmen. I've seen kids who've never been abroad before, and who's parents have been saving up for 3 years so that they can go to Austria on the school ski trip. That's why I do school ski trips.....not to ski.
snow report
Elizabeth

You said I made some sweeping statements about staff, what are they ?.
snow report
Kel, just the one above. The other one that I had originally attributed to you (which was the one that pi$$ed me off), I noticed when I was reading back (making the above posting) that it was Spikyhedgehog who had originally posted it....you'd just quoted and screwed up the formatting to make it look like yours. rolling eyes Sorry!
latest report
Ok, I'll rephrase it.

A cheaper trip for Teachers etc.

It's a different kind of cost, sometime I'm sure looking after X kids is hell, however on the right trip I'm sure some teachers don't regret it one bit!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy