Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Deciding on what length....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I ask your advice please.

I am 6'3", 19 stone (120KG).

I have previously always skied on 175's.

In my mind I would prefer something a little shorter for better control - approx 160/165's.

Is this a mistake? is my size irrelevant? Am I just too big for 160's?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
markh300, welcome to snowHead!

This won't really help but...
It depends!

If you go for stiffer 160s, you're not too big. In the same way that if you went for really soft 180s, you might find them to be below par on piste.

So, what sort of terrain do you ski? How fast?
What are you wanting to ski?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the quick reply.

Will be skiing on-piste, nothing too fast or spectacular (Some 'reds', mostly 'Blues') just with the children. Thought the shorter ones would give me more control as not worried about speed.

How can I tell how 'stiff' there are ?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Probably no help at all, but I'm 6' and 13.5 stone and until last week my regular skis were 170s. I've now moved to 181cm K2 Apache Recons and they're awesome.

I can't do the very short radius turns I could on the 170s but who-the-hell wants to spend all day doing that? I never felt the need to go shorter than 170 with 'piste' skis
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm 5'9" and 11st 4lbs. I've been skiing on 165s for the past few years. I'd echo Fox's advice that if you go down to 160, you need to make sure they're pretty stiff, as you're a big chap: the skis may not know how tall you are but they know what you weigh, and you'll bend a 160 far more than I would.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
6'2" 90KG use 165cm rossi 9s for piste skiing and some 175 pockets for off piste. Though both skis will do on or off piste, just requires more effort for short one off piste and the long ones on piste. I think you will find short stiff skis slightly unforgiving until you get use to them, but I love my short skis, particularly at the moment with mainly hard packed piste skiing. Hopeflly come the weekend the pockets will get some use.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NickB, did you try the 174 length recons before you went for the 181s or is that all that was available?

I'm buying new skis in feb and recons are on my list but i'm not sure about length either. I'm 6'4" and 15st. level 7-8 skier.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shoogly, no I didn't but I skied with two guys of similar height/weight to myself last season that skied both lengths along with some 174cm Crossfires and eventually agreed that the 181s were the best ski for them. If you want to spend any time away from the groomed pistes (and if you're considering Recons, I'm guessing you are), I'd recommend the 181s for a guy of your size. YMMV Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy