Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drivable resorts from London?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just too my two kids (6, 7 years) on their first ski trip - a week in Austria over the hols.
They are beginners, so don't need hardcors skiing, but would love to find a place where we can go without the airport (and Ryanair) hassles. Looking for a nice, atmospheric area they where they can practise, not too expensive. Can anyone recommend any resorts drivable from London, assuming we will cross the channel. Wouldn't mind driving 6 or 8 hours - would prefer to avoid the 10 or 12 I assume it will take me to get back to where we were in Austria (near Zell am See). There must be places in Germany, maybe France that are accessible by car.
I grew up in the US, and 6 or 7 hours to get to good skiing in New England was doable. There must be a European equivalent from London. Please let me know if you have any ideas.
Jim
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jmcdon, welcome to Snowheads. The French Alpine resorts are about 8 hours solid, fast, drive from Calais. So more like 10 hours at least, if your kids are OK with just short breaks. And that's without bad weather, faffing with snow chains, huge potential traffic jams if you are talking about the half term holidays. I now drive - but never at holiday time and NEVER EVER on a Saturday! You can literally take hours to cover a few miles if you get it wrong with timing and weather. There are some slightly closer resorts in the Jura in France, but they are not snow sure - lovely if the weather is right though - and still a significant drive. And very French; you wouldn't find English speaking group lessons. If it's their first ski trip, they would need lessons, for sure.

Frankly, with that sort of age child, if you are not keen on long drives - at least 14 hours from London - you will probably be best going along with the airport hassles. And if you are thinking of half term there is no time to be lost; things are getting very full. Easter hols might be a better bet. Cheaper, less crowded. And if you go to the right place, should still be plenty of snow.

If you really hate the airport thing, and are prepared to take the road, the fastest way can be to go by coach - with professional drivers - and you can sleep. Or at least, to be more realistic, close your eyes!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SOunds like the voice of experience! Thanks for the reply.
I wonder if there are smaller resorts in the middle of Germany somewhere. A bit more local and good for the kids but not such a hassle or drive. We'll see!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jmcdon, Easiest for driving is probably around Mt. Blanc, so Portes Du Soleil, Morzine, Les Gets, etc. Megeve. All should be do-able within 10 hours from Calais, barring weather, traffic problems.

Welcome to snowheads snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jmcdon, I don't think there are any ski resorts in the middle of Germany - places like Garmisch Partenkirchen are right down the bottom! Very near to the near bits of Austria, in fact. Yes, 10 hours from Calais on a good day gets you to lots of nice places, but you only wanted to drive 6 - 8 hours. And 10 hours is on a good day... are you going at February half term? And what about those lessons? Sorry to nag! snowHead We want you to have fun!

For a first trip, with small kids, there's something to be said for a package holiday - there's a lot to think about when you first take kids skiing. They will get you from the airport to your resort, and back. Or if there are problems. For example a couple of years ago Geneva airport was closed for an entire Sunday because of snow, and there were hundreds of flights cancelled. Tour operators had to sort out what to do with coachloads of punters. In a hired car, with kids, and all hotels full for miles around because of all the other people whose flights are cancelled, you're on your own!

I don't want to make out it's impossible - it's not - but it IS a bit of a mission and with only one driver, you need to be able to be behind the wheel for many hours at a time. My kids used to hate the idea of driving (three of them in the back!) and were happier with a coach, where they could walk about a bit, and it seemed more of an adventure. Ski Olympic, a very good small tour operator, do coach alternatives to air travel. The long seated journey is a pain (though no more so than in a car; they don't hang around) but you get taken right to your accommodation, with all the bags and kids you started with. And its cheaper than flying. and you get more time skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jmcdon, Welcome

As long as you car is kitted out for winter driving then most places are feasible. It helps if two people are willing to do a stint and Austria is achievable from Calais in 9 hrs or so if you keep going briskly.

Our Route from Schladming went via Munich north to Regensburg and up and over to the Dussledorf and into Calais from Aachenn...surprisingly easy and quick.... the French resorts around Mont Blanc are nearer but aprt from them, you are just substituting a southern drive for a South-eastern drive. Basel is a good gateway to Switzerland as well.

8 hrs at 110kph will get you within reach of a lot of places.... I'd take your group to Swizterland or Swiss/French for all round ambience...
Or take the train..... best way to travel to the alpes, IMV...shop around and the prices can be from £130 pp from London...some trains go right in to the resort.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are skiing resorts in the middle of Germany and France, like North of Mulhouse near Epinal, too but they may not be snow sure and the sizes are not suitable for a week's skiing. When you spend the time to get there you may as well go for the safe option of the French, Swiss, Italian or Austrian Alps.

From Calais I suppose Geneva area is the nearest and the quickest and there are at least 50 French, Swiss and Italian resorts to choose from there.

Austria is a bit out of the way from Calais but non-French resorts are a lot less congested if you go during school breaks.

German's Garmisch Partenkirchen in Bravia is before the Austria border and can be a good choice for families as the accommodations are well priced and the resort isn't too busy. During weekends it is another story as people in Munich will flood it.

Austria's Ski Welt and Kitzbuhel are slightly nearer to the German border than Zell am See. The former is definitely suitable for family. I think one will still ending up in Alps if one wants a reasonable condition and area to ski. The choice is really choose one with the least hassle with traffic, ease of access, variety of activities, accomodation standard, shopping etc.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jmcdon, sorry, I think I mis-read your initial post - I thought you were looking for a first trip. You can disregard my comments if you are an old hand! Did you have a good holiday?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy