Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snowboarder killed in germany

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
http://news.aol.co.uk/snowboarder-killed-in-alpine-fall/article/20080102122809990002

i know this lady as she and her husband own the retirement park where my mother lives in south derbyshire.....its very sad news...she was a very competent boarder by all accounts....thoughts are with the family.
hannah
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How tragic. Sad My condolences to her family and to you & your mother.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very sad news, so unfortunate Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hannah34, what sad news... A reminder to us all to take care, the mountains are so beautiful but can quickly turn from our playground to a hostile, savage wilderness
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The report says she fell and then texted a friend to call for help. Yet the official version is that she died due to the fall. So was she dying when she called?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
i have no idea.....i did wonder why she texted rather than phoned.....if reception was bad then maybe the text didn't go until after she had died...all that keeps going through my mind is how she knew she had texted for help and lay there waiting and it never came......how awful must that be...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The original ext message suggested she fell on a rocky pit. That may not necessary be the 150m drop. 150m is 492 ft. If there is 10 ft per floor the drop would be falling off 49 storeys. Thus the final drop does not match the original description of falling into a rocky "pit".

I was horrified by the story too and I have skied the Garmisch Partenkirchen resort in foggy days too.

In earlier days of our skiing I was separated from the wife twice. The second time was among the human waves at a cross road in Meribel at 4:30pm. The first time was a very floggy day in L'Apls D'Heuz and she was following me behind. I searched for her immediately after realising she was not behind me.

She had to make a decision on that day

(1) To go down a steep slope she thought was the piste (actually it would be off piste if she did)

or

(2) To stay put to wait for me while withstanding the cold for being stationary.

The visibility was the worst we have experienced and the piste was deserted because it had been snowing heavily making piste recognition extremely difficult.

She always says she survives because she took the second decision and I fully agree because there was no way I could find her again had she went off piste and disappeared from the route I was searching.

Since then I never leave her out of my sight while skiing and we always wear a talkie talkie.

Having read this news I would recommend wearing a walkie talkie set which is now called Personal Mobile Radio (PMR446). It is a license free transceiver using the governement-allocated 446 Mhz band. The UK and Europe (including Scandinavia) use the same band. The statutory 0.5W output can allow two users at 2 two miles or 3km apart to keep in touch with each other. The maximum range is for uninterrupt distance. With mountains the range can reduced considerably. It is a very useful tool for prevent fellow skiers from getting lost. PMR is available in many countries but the alloted frequency may be different.

A PMR typically has a 8 channels each has 38 codes allowing 304 combinations. A group of skiers simply turne to the same frequency and can communicate with each other as a common group. It is a public system so if others are using the same channel the group can all switch to another frequency setting for privacy.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy