Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aztec Pros or Missions?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Good morning

I am facing a dilemna - in summary Aztec pros or Missions? Here's the background.

I am 5'9'' and 70kg. I now ski 3-4 weeks a year around Chamonix.

I am going to start ski-mountaineering/touring.

I currently have one ski - zag 74's 177cm. They are great fun. My original plan was to put a touring binding on them as they are wood core and light, good all rounders.

So I need a new pair of skis and probably Scott. Now, all the talk here is about Missions. The question for the forum is why not Aztec pros and while we're about it is there much difference between the Aztec and Aztec pros? What would I not be able to enjoy with Missions (bumps perhaps?) and similarly what would I not be able to do with Aztec Pros, bearing in mind that your average week in Chamonix includes a bit of everything?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree? Should I stick with the zags for fun and put the touring bindings on the Mission for the days you really need them?

Finally, my zags are 177, but you get them long because they ski short. Am I right in thinking the Scotts are set up similarly i.e. binding a little further forward than normal so requiring a slightly longer ski? If so, what length is best for me?

I will try them of course before buying but you can't guarantee you'll have optimum conditions and your collective experience would be greatly appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
22 dropout, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/search.php?mode=results loads on Scott Missions, and http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/search.php?mode=results Aztec Pro.
The plain Aztecs are not such an advanced ski I don't think . Hubby has Missions, I'll get him to post later.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you. I'd really appreciate that.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to snowHeads 22 dropout. I've got both 174 Aztec Pros and 183 Missions. The Missions have FR+ touring bindings.

Both the Aztec Pros and the Missions have a dual radius sidecut and, as a consequence, are mounted further back (not forwards) than my other skis. As a consequence, I don't find either ski brilliant in the bumps as they both seem to have a disproportionately high swing weight and can be a sod to pivot. (Although, my lack of skill here is certainly a factor - I'm no more than competent in bumps.)

I'm a similar height and around 15kg heavier than you and the 174 Aztec Pros are fine off-piste - so something around 174 / 178 will work for you in either ski. I must admit that I find the 183s just that bit too long and would buy shorter if I was buying again.

As you'd expect, the Aztec Pros have the edge on piste and the Missions have the edge off-piste. They otherwise have very similar characteristics. Which ski you is "better" for Chamonix depends on how you ski Chamonix. If you spend your time off-piste up the Grand Montets then you want the Missions. If you spend more time on piste around Les Houches then you want the Aztec Pros.

It's worth saying that both skis need to be worked to get the best out of them.

I haven't skied Zag 74s, but I'd imagine that they ski similarly to both these skis. I must admit that, if I were in your position and if the Zags are in good condition, then I'd stick the touring bindings on the Zags and go for a more differentiated ski - either something much fatter or more piste-oriented.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
22 dropout,

Movement Thunders might be a consideration.. they make lightish skis which perform.
I'd put the 82mm Spark above the Mission allround and I am pretty sure it would cream the Aztec on hardpack so if you have demo time, try and find some of these skis....

Again, it is all about how you ski, and how they fit your skiing...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
22 dropout, if you enjoy skiing the Zags at present (and I can certainly see why you would), why should putting touring bindings on them stop you skiing them in exactly the same way you do now? I have had Fritschi Freerides on my off-piste/general purpose skis and use them everywhere - except the racecourse. I don't do big cliff-jumps though - which is about the only other condition I can think of not using them for.

Of course, if this is just an excuse to get some more skis, then ignore this post Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I stay off the pistes wherever possible - maybe not this weekend though as it's blowing a gale in Chamonix. The Zags are great but are limiting when it gets icy. Nor will they last forever (the company certainly didn't) and there will be other lines that will pick up where they left off. JT, thanks for the tip about the Spark, I'll take a look. GrahamN - there's a lot in what you say but as a novice tourer it's a psychological thing leaving the familiar behind.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy