Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go for a short break (fly/drive)

Poster: A snowHead
I'm after a short break with me and my son (beginner+ to intermediate level). Not bothered where but cheap would be good although not a showstopper.

Ideally flying out from Newcastle to airport in Eurpoe, hiring a car and driving (max 2 hours) to some resort.

Any suggestions as to where to fly to and what resort to go to?

What about driving conditions - do I need a 4 wheel drive or any car with snow chains in the boot?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fredsaab, you're a bit limited from Newcastle unless you get a weekly charter flight. I think there is only EasyJet to Geneva, Ryanair to Milan Bergamo (not every day), and Jet2 to Chambery (Sat and Sunday only).I got the kids home last week from Turin via Bristol. A hire car with winter tyres and chains will be sufficient, roads a cleared far faster than in the UK. Looks like Geneva then. You could got to the Portes du Soleil (Morzine or Avoriaz) or Flaine. Or head into Switzerland instead, or through the Mont Blanc tunnel into Italy to Courmayeur.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fredsaab, welcome to snowHead 's. When are you looking to go for your short break?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fredsaab, Chamonix is also an easy drive and, for a weekend, the Les Houches area which is the easiest bit to get to, has friendly skiing. Les Contamines a very good destination, too, and would be my personal favourite for a weekend from Geneva. However, timing will be vital - French school hols for 4 weeks from 8 February; get out before then! Apart from the crowds, it's difficult to get weekend accommodation at busy times - indeed it's not too easy anytime, so get hunting soon.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fredsaab, have sent you a PM Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fredsaab, can you get to Salzburg? Im not sure if Newcastle flys here, but I know Manchester does. Anyway, from Salzburg, Ski Amade is 45 mins down the motorway. The snow is in top condition at the mo, accommodation is cheap and the pistes are excellent for beginners and intermediates. There is loads to do. Take a look at www.skiamade.com for info on the area. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helen Beaumont, Hi - remember you! I had a different sign on name and you steered me through to Serre Chevalier last xmas (2006) when I went with Crystal!

MrDan, I'm not really new (see comment to Helen) but I was planning to go in 2/3 weeks time (or sooner for the right deal) but NOT over any half term be it UK or Europe! Also I'm not bound to the weekend. I was planning either say Thur through Sun/Mon or Mon thru Thur/Fri.

pam w, OK Heard of Chamonix but not other 2 - are they in the same sort of area?

MrDan, OK I'll have a look if I remember how to pick them up.

flangesax, Thanks - I don't mind flying from Manc but Newc is easier. Do you have a vested interst in Ski Amade!??? Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fredsaab, Les Houches is one of the ski areas in the Chamonix valley - an easier area. The other easier area - La Tour - is the far end, so further to drive. les Contamines is separate, but in same direction and easy access. Use viamichelin.com to find directions, distances etc. Ski Amade would be good, too, if you could get to Salzburg. More chocolate box, that's for sure.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK so booked the flights at end of jan for Geneva and have hired a car as well. So where to go
Suggestions above include Avoriaz, Morzine, Flaine, Cormayeur, Chamonix (Les Houches and Les Contamines).

I know it's now a matter of choosing one or driving a bit further down to Claviere, Mont genever etc but anyone got any comments about where is bset for ease of getting accommodation and being able to get to other places if where we are isn't skiable.....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
fredsaab, there's not much point driving from Geneva to montgenevre or similar, especially just for a weekend when your time will be very limited. There is very little chance of any of those places being "non skiable", though the highest and most snowsure skiing in Chamonix is not beginner friendly and Les Houches is not very high. Why don't you start contacting accommodation options in Contamines and Flaine and take it from there. The response might help you make up your mind. I can't recommend accommodation in Les Contamines because I drive over and ski there for a day now and then, and never even go down as far as the village. Les Contamines, by the way, is a separate place. Has its own website.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, time isn't going to be too bad. I'm flying out on Tuesady mroning so could be in most resorts by late afternoon. we're staying for 4 days but need to be back in geneva on the 4th night.

Do you have the website for Les Contamines?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
From Geneva you want to look at Megeve/St Gervais if conditions are good as it is very confidence building, IMV The slopes are not steep and so don't get too many moguls as people can ski straighter.... Les Contaimine is also good. I would look at Flaine or one of the satellite villages which might be better for ad-hoc type bookings//ie, not sat-sat. Morzine/Les Gets/Avoriaz should be ok.

I don't recommend Chamonix for new skiers unless loaded with confidence. It is a great valley but not suited IMV...or rather there are better options.

Courmeyer, Italy..just through the Mt Blance tunnel is good as well....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT, thanks appreciate it - Iwas looking at Flaine and Avooriaze/Morzine too. Read somewhere that Avoriaz is vehicle free - is that 100% vehice free or do you have access to load/unload.

Btw what's IMV?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fredsaab, I've stayed at the Hotel Chemenaz in Les Contamines (www.chemenaz.com) and it was nice - family run and friendly, can't remember that much about the rooms but think they were fine, nice restaurant in the hotel. The hotel is right by the lifts (which are a little bit of a walk into the village itself). The website for Les Contamines is www.lescontamines.com.

We were only there for a weekend but after a day of skiing in pretty bad light at Les Contamines, we drove over to St Gervais and really liked the skiing there. I'd be keen to go back to there or to try Megeve. Les Contamines and St Gervais were really easy to drive to from Geneva - i assume Megeve would be too.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fredsaab, IMV = In My View
ski holidays
fredsaab,

I have put up some information on the short term accommodations around Generva in this thread.

I have used those accommodations before and I set off from Newcastle too. Usually drive for a 2-week skiing at a time.

Montgenevre is too far from Generva. You have to fly to Turin or Chambery or Genoble.

Les Contamines is a self contained small resort. St Gervais is linked to Megeve and accessible to Rocherbrune. Generally Les Contamines being deeper into the valley has better snow. These resorts are on the same road "off" the Chamonix Valley.

For a 4 day visit I would try to see as many resorts as possible and make your own judgement.
ski holidays
saikee wrote:
Montgenevre is too far from Geneva. You have to fly to Turin or Chambery or Genoble.

Second that.

A very good weekend resort(short transfer, good snow and decent sized area for a weekend), but only really accesable from Turin.
ski holidays
The point in question is Montgenevre is just a small resort at the French side of the Milky way. It has 100km piste and the whole of the Milky Way is 400km piste, made up by another 4 to 5 resorts of Claviere, Cesana, Sansicario, Sestrieve and Sauze D'Oulx.

Travelling from the Geneva to this valley one must pass through L'Alps D'Heuz (245km piste). The next door to it is Les 2 Alpes (200km piste), then further down the valley is La Grave (off piste paradise) and then finally Serre Chavalier (250km piste) at Briancon. At the border with Italy one finds the 100km piste of Montgenevre. The above route takes 170 miles but for just Montgenevre itself one can use the motorway more by going into Italy first via the Frejus Tunnel to access Montgenevre from the Italian side to cut down 20 miles travelling distance to 150miles.

This valley can take at least two weeks to explore, if we omit going off a side road N94 at Briancon to Puy St Vicent. Skiers doing Montgenevre should try the rest of Milky Way too.

It is an awful way to travel such a long distance to such a small and relatively undistinguished resort, possibly has a reputation of being an easy resort for the beginners and popular with the TO. I know skiers cutting their teeth may after my blood for my harsh view of Montgenevre however there are at least a dozen comparable if not better easy resorts along the route between Geneva and Montgenevre. TO can offer a good deal for Montgenevre because it is at the end of the Milky Way and pretty impossible to ski to another end. Whereas stay somewhere in the middle can provide a better coverage of the whole area.

I chose Briancon last March and ski the surrounding area. The distance chart I kept is as follow

From to Distanc (miles)
Briancon Briancon 0
Briancon Sauze d Oulx 22
Briancon Sestriere 22
Briancon Cesana 16
Briancon Claviere 11
Briancon Montgenvre 7.3
Briancon Puy St Vincent 16
Briancon Serre Chevalier 4
Briancon La Grave 27
Briancon Bourg d' Oisan 44 (local hotel booked)
Briancon Les Deux Alps 39
Briancon L'Alpes D'Huez 44
ski holidays
All - thanks for the invaluable help. Looks like I was spoilt for choice but have made my mind up. Not staying for a whole week limited my choice anyway so it was down to finding right hotel/apartment for right price.....
latest report
Helen Beaumont,

cannot remember if i have already asked you this but are you of chaley beaumont in camonix fame?
snow report
chalet in chamonix even Embarassed
snow conditions
nick0861, no I'm nothing to do with them.
snow conditions
your location should have been a bit of a give away!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy