Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice - Driving Route from Geneva to Notre Dame de Bellecombe

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are flying out to Geneva on 20th Jan for a few days and intend to hire a car to drive down to Notre dame de bellecombe.

Our Satnav shows to take the toll road to sallanches, then the N212 down to megeve and on to Notre dame de Bellecombe

We having done this route before in the summer and know that the N212 is an uphill windy road in parts, but have not driven it in winter/snowy conditions.

Advice please -
Are the roads in this area likely to be cleared from snow ? - or is there another route using more main roads ?
Will we need snow chains ?

thanks
Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
LisaM, yes, that's really the only sensible way to go. Yes, you will absolutely definitely have to have chains with you, though it's quite probable you won't need to use them. I drive that road a lot. I've twice had to put chains on right down where you turn left, near Flumet, to start climbing up to Notre Dame - and more often had to put them on up in the village, before going on up to Les Saisies. Depending on where you are staying in Notre Dame you might well need them just to do the last 100 metres or so to your accommodation. If the forecast is for no snow when you are going, you could take the risk to go without chains, but if you needed them to get out again, it'd cost you more, locally. When the roads are really bad the police will stop you if you don't have chains.

We will be going out in the next few days, to Les Saisies. The weather forecast is truly grim for next week - warm and wet, and everything below 2400m will be rained on from a great height. But it looks as though around the middle of the month it might get colder - so you'd better pray that you'll be needing those chains!

Where are you staying?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't think you need chains if coming from Sallanches, Megeve and Praz Sur Arly. The section off Flumet up Notre-Dame-de-Bellecombe is unknown to me though. The N205 road is quite busy. With an overall 63 miles and the first 48miles being motorway. You can cut out 10 miles by staying off the motorway border check point and go through the city via Annemasse but would end up more time spent.

The other way is to go through D909 via Grand Bornard and La Clusaz to come out at Fumet. That section from La Clusaz to Fumet is one I advise motorist to stay clear. I wasn't comfortable myself with a full fledged 4x4.

The last choice is to head for Annecy when before you join the A40 toll road. The N201 there is alright but it is single carriage most of the way and its 65 miles distance should take definitely longer.

I have done 1st and last route and also travel through Annecy-La Clusaz-Flumet. I would take the first one any time.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
No, I have never needed chains along the Arly Valley road, though it could happen in very heavy snow. The route through La Clusaz is very pretty, and I drive it from time to time (in a very ordinary 2WD car, with no problems, in ordinary weather) but it takes far longer than the motorway through Sallanches. N.D. de Bellecombe is on three levels - the main (proper) village, then two higher levels of ski stuff. The likelihood of needing chains depends a lot on where one is staying, as well as on the weather, of course.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whether the road is cleared of snow depends what time of day/night you are trying to access? We got caught out in 2001 in a major snowstorm having popped to the valley for a pizza and a look round the decathlon just outside Sallanches. Was raining in the town but bucketing it down by the time we reached Combloux and filling in fast on a ploughed road. We had a VERY hairy drive up to Saisies with mini snowslides on the roadsides above NDdB. There was 15+cm of snow on the road at the time and it was blocking the lower part of the radiator as we drove so be warned snowHead

Have also found that a few times the road through the main villages of NDdB when it has snow packed on it can be extremely slippery to the point of having to pull over to fit chains in order to get up. If you have winter tyres on the hire car though should be fine.

Personally I would have some chains unless you can see a rock steady high pressure system locked over the alps and the webcams show bare tarmac

Cheers
David
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies - think we will stick with the motorway and go through Sallanches

We are staying at the newly built apartments 'les villages de belles roches' which have only just opened. They are just inside the main village, before the church on the left hand side, so we don't need to worry about the road higher up in NDbB

We are planning to hire a car from the swiss side of Geneva airport - so are hoping the car will come with winter tyres (having read previous posts on 'hire cars' from Geneva airport)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
LisaM, have a good trip. The main village is much the nicest spot, but obviously not the most convenient for the skiing. But it's not far up to Mont Rond, and I expect there are regular ski buses. The blue run down to the bottom, called Reguet, is a super one if there is enough snow. But I've not infrequently needed chains to get up to the main village, too. Have to hope so - if it heralds a nice new dump of snow. snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy