Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

£ to € Exchange rate shock

Poster: A snowHead
Someone posted this link last night Eeyore, http://www.iceplc.com/ it seems to be a similar thing.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jerry found these people www.iceplc.com Used these myself last night for my austrian trip currency, as Manchester Airport has no Travelex unit. Good rate, will let you know how the service was.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FenlandSkier, oops
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hd wrote:
The link that Helen Beaumont posted states that US banks add an extra charge for withdrawing from their ATMs. Taking this into account, is it still cheaper to use a Nationwide debit card in the US than Travelex?

Money Saving Expert wrote:
Cash Withdrawal Charges (Debit and Credit Cards)

Withdraw money from an overseas cash machine and the card provider will add a fee, usually around 2.5% of the amount withdrawn with a minimum of £2.50. Many people are aware of this charge for credit cards, but it's important to note it applies to most debit cards too.

Many overseas banks, especially in the USA, also charge an additional fee for withdrawing cash. Little can be done about this, except trying a few different banks to find the cheapest. Thus taking larger amounts out to cover a longer period is cheaper than lots of small withdrawals, though do ensure your cash is stored securely.

Does this apply to Canadian banks as well as those in the US?

Confused

joe1978 wrote:
RE USA/N America charges AFAIK it's not *your* bank that charges, it's the ATM owner, even for residents in that country. I'm not sure which ATM's in the states do this, I'm sure google would be your friend here.

I've been googling furiously to find out which USA banks do/don't charge for using their ATMs.

And here's the bad news - according to this article practically all USA banks charge for using their ATMs with a foreign card.

Mad Mad Mad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Interestingly, I got a new Connect card from Barclays last week. They do not apply any cash withdrawal charges, if you use their preferred partners abroad. Deutsche Bank, BNP Paribas, and Scotia Ban (Canada) amongst them. Think I threw out the leaflet, so these are just off the top of my head.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hd wrote:
I've been googling furiously to find out which USA banks do/don't charge for using their ATMs.

And here's the bad news - according to this article practically all USA banks charge for using their ATMs with a foreign card.

It's a similar story in Canada: http://www.fcac-acfc.gc.ca/eng/consumers/BankInsurance/ABMFees/ABMFeesInfo_1_e.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATM_usage_fees
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't recall being charged any fees, other than that charged by my own bank for using the cash machines in Whistler and Banff though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We got a decent deal in First Choice today. It was 1.23 unless you changed £1000 or more then it was £1.295
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This time last year we were getting 1.47€ from a report I read today Sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Marcus, probably about right from what I remember, but think that may have been the bank rate rather than the tourist one.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont, possibly, I just caught the figures whilst scanning for more "entertaining" news...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Smokin Joe,

Just got 1.305 from Travelex (dont think there is a minimum for that) only downside is you have to pick up at the airport - but thats ok !
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kwakazx6r, if you have a travelex at the airport wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Smokin Joe,

I hope so !! or Im in trouble Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I just went through an online application for a flexaccount card, at the end of which it came up and offered me a cash card, which I accepted and it said it would be processed and dealt with within 5 days... Is this the correct option I've gone for/been offered?

Basically I now load this account up with cash and use it abroad as a debit card or ATM card instead of converting cash into foreign currency, yeah? Can someone confirm that this card will be usable in Wengen please! For example paying the Victoria Lauberhorn hotel for our bar bill or lift passes or whatever?

Cheer for the tip all!
latest report
kwakazx6r wrote:
Smokin Joe,

Just got 1.305 from Travelex (dont think there is a minimum for that) only downside is you have to pick up at the airport - but thats ok !

It's OK so long as you don't do what I did in Jan; forget that you're going to Switzerland and order Euros, and order them for a month after you want them.
snow conditions
carled, you'll still need to pay the fee for taking out cash. For cash, I don't think there's much difference which card you use; they all charge you. I have a Nationwide credit card which is good, but I was specifically warned by Nationwide NOT to load up that account, because apparently if a credit card is stolen, the bank/building society is responsible for debts racked up by the thief. But if you've got a credit balance on the account, you're responsible yourself. Come to think of it, I don't know what happens if someone goes on a spree with a stolen debit card....
snow conditions
carled, I have a Flex Account Card. It is simply a cash card. The advantages within europe are that when you shove said card in an ATM you get local money at close to Interbank Rate, with no currency loading, waiting when you get back home.
The Flexaccount also offers debit cards and credit cards.

It will act as a sterling cash float for your spending. Most ATM's now recognise that you're using a UK card, you get service in english and local currency.
Fill up the Flexaccount with what you think you will need when you're abroad before you go!
snow report
pam w wrote:
carled, you'll still need to pay the fee for taking out cash

This is incorrect, if using a Flexaccount card, there are no cash withddrawal fees at ATM's. Debit Cards and Credit Cards will have different conditions.
ski holidays
snowbunny, correct. There are no fees for Flex account debit card either.
latest report
snowbunny, pam w, thanks... it is the debit card I'm after. Cheers!
latest report
richmond wrote:
kwakazx6r wrote:
Smokin Joe,

It's OK so long as you don't do what I did in Jan; forget that you're going to Switzerland and order Euros, and order them for a month after you want them.
Or order them to collect at the airport, and then remember to pick them up at 20,000ft Embarassed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy