Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

£ to € Exchange rate shock

Poster: A snowHead
For those that want to have a look at nationwide exchange rates to compare, they use the visa wholesale rate, which can be found here:

http://corporate.visa.com/pd/consumer_services/consumer_ex_rates.jsp

Bank charge is zero percent!! Very Happy

RE USA/N America charges AFAIK it's not *your* bank that charges, it's the ATM owner, even for residents in that country. I'm not sure which ATM's in the states do this, I'm sure google would be your friend here. Puzzled

Frosty the Snowman, please keep us informed of your banker friend's opinion, it woul be interesting to know. Little Angel

Joe
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On a recent US trip, whilst the exchange rate might have a feelgood factor I know I didn't spend any less - just had the extra beer, bigger lunch, more expensive hat(!) - unless you are trying to do it on the minimum possible budget then there's a fair chance you'll adjust your behaviour accordingly - so its soup and a roll in France this year for me instead of the plat du jour! snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i got 1.31 at travelex, pickup at the airport on saturday, if thats any help to any1??

Not sure if thats great or not , but certainly not bad at present rates Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
alexsam97, Traxelex is half a cent lower today. I shall see what tommorrow brings, perhaps markets were anticipating a lowring of uk bank rate.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Crux of the matter is this:
I have to pay 10,000 Swiss francs to a Swiss hotel, half in the next week or two and the other half four weeks later .... or I could pay it all in one go.

Do I bite the bullet and pay it all now, or pay half now, bank the rest for a month then see what's happened with the exchange rate then ?

Reading posts above, the doom merchants are shouting the loudest, I'm leaning towards paying the whole lot now. Any advice ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
masmith wrote:
To the financial experts out there: If, as predicted, the Bank of England lower the interest rate today and in the next few months, what effect is this likely to have on the € and/or Swiss Franc exchange rate ?

they diodnt change in the end:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7180758.stm
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
masmith,

I'm in a similar position with an Austrian hotel, It's a case of better the devil you know I think.
The hotel took €1200 deposit off me twice and have apologised profusley and said they'll transfer it back to me and pay any transfer costs, I might now tell them thanks but no thanks just to deduct it from the final bill (€1.38 to the £ at the time)!!

joe
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
joe1978,
Quote:
I might now tell them thanks but no thanks just to deduct it from the final bill (€1.38 to the £ at the time)!!

... without a doubt !
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
alexsam97, Traxelex is half a cent lower today. I shall see what tomorrow brings, perhaps markets were anticipating a lowering of uk bank rate.

O darn it, dropped to 1.295 now Mad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, I thought it might recover a little bit if rates stayed the same, looks like they are still expecting a rate cut next month.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, thats a bummer, I ordered mine this lunch time and it was franctionally under 1.31, got 525euros for £402.27, so looks like the market is changing pretty quick, for the worst Sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont, the value of your place in Monetier has risen by 10 per cent as a result of a weak pound. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chris, exactly. wink . Swings and roundabouts........... . Fortunately I take all my rental payments in Euros direct to my French bank account.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Things are looking up for the Euro users such as I Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Timmaah, other friends are worried that they will be unable to sell, as the exchange rate will put off UK buyers.
snow report
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7182951.stm

Sterling at record low against Euro Sad
snow report
Helen Beaumont, et al - great thread. I have taken action and applied for a Nationwide FlexAccount online today!
Thanks
snow conditions
Picked my Euros up yesterday at 1.28 (from Natwest), c'est la vie. Sad

Don't care though, I'm going SKIING tomorrow!! snowHead Laughing
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, that's good right now. I just got 1.28 over the counter at RBS (no commission or charges are applied). Still, I don't care, I'm off.
ski holidays
AxsMan, that's uncannily similar, you stalking me?
latest report
AxsMan, where you going anyway?
snow report
Bode Swiller, Maria Alm.

First Trip to Austria so looking forward to it a lot. Snow depths look OK and although there's a bit of a mix forecast it looks like a reasonable dump tomorrow night is on the cards. Planning on cruising the Hochkonig runs for a couple of days and then using the shuttle buses to have a look at the rest of Ski Amade. Sounds like an interesting area to spend some time so if it proves to be as good as we hope will probably visit again next year. Where are you off to?
latest report
AxsMan, Kitzbuhel for a few days. I'll yodel at you from the top. Only been to Maria Alm in the summer. Nice place. Don't forget to drop into Saalbach Hinterglemm as well... not far away. Enjoy.
latest report
The thing is will it recover or will it fall further - should I buy my Euros and swiss francs now or wait a few more weeks until closer to when we go? Luckily I had some leftover from last year and think I've around £40 of Euro's and nearly £100 of SwFr still in my cache somewhere.
snow report
Megamum very unlikely to recover. The consensus seems to be that uk interest rates will be cut next month and in addition it seems almost certain that the Eurozone rate will increase. One can only speculate as to whether these events are already priced in to the currency markets but i think you can safely assume the exchange rate is not going to swing in your favor enough to make any kind of difference for some time.
snow report
Loving it, my fish and chips are getting cheaper by the day.
ski holidays
I had fish N chips for dinner Very Happy bought with luvverly jubberly £££££ though not €.
latest report
Megamum, do you really care?... you have a roof box full of food remember Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, cash, how very quaint. Or don't you have a bank card? Laughing Laughing
snow report
My dad gave me a load of Euros for xmas. Lovely Laughing
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, Thanks I'll certainly try! Hope Kitzbuhel has plenty of fresh for you. snowHead and back on topic who cares what the Euros Cost? I'm going skiing in 7 hours time snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Bizarre thread, it costs what it costs. Carry a credit card and worry about it later.
snow report
Ghost Dog, you on £6 an hour with 2 kids?
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, Yes, I do don't I - and mostly already bought and inflation proof Cool Don't want to pay through the nose for lift passes though if I can help it though.

Lizzard, its a cash only resort - no facilities to use a card anywhere - it is very 'quaint' as you put it
snow report
Megamum, funny how such places manage to find the credit card machine when you point out it's all you've got! I can't seriously accept that any resort is cash only these days.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, I've been twice now and used 100% cash each time. My Swiss friends haven't told me that the situation has changed any.
latest report
Bode Swiller, Italy! Even the bl##dy petrol station in Courmayer is cash only Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
You can't get better than spot rate unless you've bought forward. That's the same wherever you are, UK or abroad. Use a card that offers spot rate - most UK debit cards and the travellers favourite, Nationwide. Note, this is not the case for the main UK credit cards that will hit you for several different fees plus interest depending on what you're doing.

Beware of the latest "offer" to travellers in many parts of the world including the US and Switzerland. You might well be given the option (this includes UBS ATMs) to be charged ££'s rather than the local currency for your transaction. What you are seldom told is that to provide you with this helpful service, they will do a currency conversion at a rate of their choosing. You can guess the rest...
latest report
There was an article in the Telegraph yesterday about this. Their recommendation is to avoid buying in the uk & use ATMs or your debit card instead, the suggestion being is even with any relevant charges you'll still get a better exchange rate. What they also said was to avoid paying in stirling if you're given the option because that rate will be poor.
snow report
Just as an aside, following the above advice by the Telegraph I was looking at these pre-paid Visa cards as an option. The Post Office card looks to be the best for what I'm looking for. Anyone had any experience?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy