Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

£ to € Exchange rate shock

Poster: A snowHead
Although I've caught the descent of the pound against the euro, I hadn't realised it had fallen so far! Just ordered some for the upcoming trip and was quoted 1.29 € to the pound Shocked

Having looked on-line it might be possible to get slightly better rates, but it won't make a huge difference.

Wish I'd bought a load a few months back Evil or Very Mad

Anyone know if the rates obtainable abroad will be worse/better?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Me too - looked before Christmas and it was bad enough at 1.34, got 1.3050 in M & S this lunchtime!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I smelt a rat in mid-November and bought for my Feb trip at 1.43.

Does that help. Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
used my nationwide card recently in euro zone and got 1.36 inc all fees
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yep, the euro is increasing in value quite considerably as is taking the new gondola up the mountain. On the otherhand the dollar has fallen off the old creaky chairlift.

Global economics is quite interesting at the moment.

Don't have a clue what the price is abroad.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I calculate that over the course of the holiday I will have "lost" about 210€ Sad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The pound is toast. It has lost 10% against the Euro and I see some financial commentators expect it to loose another 25%. Shocked Enjoy your holiday this year, I say.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not only against the Euro, Swiss francs down to 2.2 to the £ - ouch.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I bought at the airport and got ****ed, I mean 1.25 EURGBP. Ouch.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
if it's any consolation, www.travelex.co.uk - pay online and collect at the aiport, a slight inconvenience maybe but the best rates out there me thinks
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tim Sawyer wrote:
I smelt a rat in mid-November and bought for my Feb trip at 1.43.

Does that help. Smile

Whereabouts in Wiltshire..... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yesterdays transaction using nationwide Debit Card was at a rate of 1.359
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Last Euro I bought was at 1.36 through the Local Bank in November, and I thought that was bad enough!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I need both Euros and Swiss francs this year - I wonder if its worth getting them sooner rather than later?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FWIW my wife and I have a Nationwide current account which doesn't charge you for foreign currency witdrawals. We only really use it for holidays; we just put some cash in before we ago away and take it out of the cash machines in resort. It's the cheapest way I've found so far to change money, there's no loading of the exchange rate in lieu of commission (as far as I can tell anyway)
latest report
clived, welcome to snowHeads. Not a bad idea - wish you'd come along earlier and I'd posted this earlier wink
snow report
That might be OK in a big resort like VT, but our small swiss resort has absolutley zero facilities for using a plastic card - absolutely everything has to be cash. Worth noting for VT though.
snow conditions
Short- and medium-term forex rates are impossible to predict.

Moreover, exchange rates go up and down all the time. It is a game of swings and roundabouts. You win some, you lose some.

It is pointless fretting about it. Just enjoy your vacation.
latest report
Canadian Dollar is beating the pound down aswell.
snow report
Whitegold, that is quite possibly the most sensible piece of advice I have seen Smile
snow report
Hey, it'll help our exports and another 10% on the cost of an already expensive trip is not worth losing sleep over.

People won't stop going. I remember the Austrian Schilling going from 30/£ down to 18/£ in the space of a few months (mid '80s). Didn't make a blind bit of difference.
snow conditions
I'm not an economist (and I say that with no false modesty). It always beats me that whilst our economy is supposed to be strong, and the eurozone generally hopelessly mismanaged, overblown public sectors, etc etc etc, the euro has, in the long term, grown steadily against the pound since it was launched at about 1.62 (which was the rate I paid when I bought my euros ahead to pay for our apartment Little Angel ). Good idea on Nationwide - I shall get in and put some money on my nationwide card tomorrow.
latest report
You should try & spend as much as you can on plastic instead of cash as you 'get' the interbank exchange rate, which is usually 3-5% more than the cash exchange; also as pointed out above a few cards dont charge any 'euro' handling fees; namely Nationwide & 'Post Office'.
Good Luck
Mitch
snow conditions
haven't changed quids to euros since the euro was introduced, as i always try to make a foray into ireland or france once a year to harvest their euros while selling my chainsaw carvings. seems to help afford the holls. .......................excuse the hint of smugness, but we probably wouldnt ski otherwise. spending our salted away euros always feels like spending mickey mouse money Laughing
latest report
There's always my French bank account of course, no exchange rate necessary.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, you've obviously cracked it - is it bottomless?
snow conditions
pam w, I wish.........
snow report
Maybe we should ditch the pound and enter the Euro zone...

I'll get me coat Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
roga, yes. Would make life far easier!
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont wrote:
There's always my French bank account of course, no exchange rate necessary.

Would I be right in guessing you're not going to lend me your details Helen Little Angel
latest report
I got 1.348 after all charges from an ATM today on my awful Natwest card.

That's above the mid-market rate at the time so I'm happy. Smile
latest report
Quote:

I calculate that over the course of the holiday I will have "lost" about 210

Marcus, you appear to be planning to spend rather a lot.
ski holidays
hmmm the pound losing value is quite annoying, one of the main reasons i moved to this country is because the pound was so strong. Its still better than travelling on aussie $$ though Very Happy
snow conditions
Illicit, bad luck! It's hazardous guessing at likely exchange rate movements to decide when to change your holiday beer money. As for using that as a basis to move to the other end of the earth... Shocked
snow conditions
Just applying for a Nationwide account now, quite a slick website compared to some/most.
latest report
well pam i didn't move here because of the weather! Laughing

Na you guys don't realise how close you are to so many different cultures and countries. Oz is very isolated and costs a fortune to get anywhere.
snow report
magriggs, when we applied for ours, we were amazed that they instantly offered us an overdraft far in excess of that offered to us by our regular bank. I have considered making it our regular current account but TBH I like the fact that the holiday money is separate.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, Not all this is as true as it often seems, its the overall cost not the gimmic that matters in buying euros.

In October we were going to France, I forgot about euros so dropped inot our local post office to see if they had any. They sell them commission free, brillant! I bought about £400's worth.

Later that day I was on line banking with Barclays and I saw a link they had to their euro buying service. They charge commission. Yet for the exact same amount at the PO I could have bought on line with Barclays euros and have had them delivered to my house free. One had to assume that the PO being commission free were cheaper but they are not. Nationwide may not charge for you to use your card abroad but do they give you the best rate for that transaction? No such thing as a free lunch. snowHead
snow report
thefatcontroller, you get a far higher rate than exchanging money at either Barclays or the Post Office , see my posts above and compare them to the rates others got. I received an exchange rate of 1.359 for a transaction on New Years day.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, That was the rate New Years day but the rate has varied considerably from day to day of late. snowHead Rate now down to 1.34 which spikey got including all charges from Nat West on the day he took money out.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy