Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to get Moon Boots or similar?

Poster: A snowHead
I need to get some good apres-ski footwear for me and my daughter and have been looking around for moon boots but haven't found any shops that store them ... plenty of copies on the web but would prefer to buy the real thing. We are based near London...

Any suggestions where to buy a pair? Or should we wait until we get to the Alps in Feb (going to Les Houches)

Many thanks in advance!
-Eva
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why do you want moon boots, what's wrong with normal boots?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hello there,

I need something to play around in the snow with my daugther when we're not skiing, something waterproof, warm and good to walk on snow/ice ... I was under the impression that moon boot style footwear was the best for that?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Evap, make you sure you get the 'afghan hound' model with the real fur - loverly... Any 80's retro shop should be able to oblige, they're also freely available from a well known auction website, alledgedly very popular with travellers and people who are in a hurry to dispose of various items of uncertain provenance on a caveat emptor, no questions asked basis.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Evap, moonboots, or similar, will be readily available in Les Houches. Personally I prefer less bulky boots, but moonboots do have super grip on snow and ice. Any ski type shop - e.g Snow and Rock, Ellis Brigham, will have plenty of choice too, if you don't want to waste your holiday time shopping, when you could be building snowmen. You do need some sort of boots. If there's been no snow for a while ordinary good solid walking boots are OK, but after a dump of snow, proper snowboots are better. I have some fur lined, Goretex, boots with hinged crampons on the bottom, so you can use them when it's icy, and put them away when it's not. Bought in France.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't know how good they will be, but based on how warm my little plastic clogs are I got some different boots for the kids in a cheap shoe shop earlier this week.

I'm sure you've all seen the Cloggz and similar pricey models all over the UK this year - made of a solid yet spongy one piece molded foam material - I've found my pair - bought initially for paddling in to be soooo warm to wear around the house as slippers too. I went into one of these cheap shoe shops and found kids brightly coloured chunky boots made of the same material. They won't be any good in woodland conditions as I know from experience the material doesn't resist thorns, but I think they could make warm boots in the snow for the children. Also there is no lining in them so they will be easy to get dry. I know that they won't prevent sweating, but the kids only spend an hour or so playing in the snow so its not as though they will be for long term use and they were only £2 a pair. If we get snow here tomorrow I'll get the kids to try them out.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks both for your help! I think I'll wait until we get to Les Houches to get snow boots there ... I don't think prices will be much higher than in London for what I've seen, and it's bound to have more variety than here I think ....

Thanks again for your help
-Eva
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, I found my feet didn't sweat in my Crocs, certainly didn't get smelly as they are anti-bacterial. Nor sure about the cheaper models though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Off the feet of every second female in Chamonix. Or alternatively out of the window of every second shop.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Decathlon, if you're near one of them, have a variety of own brand equivalents of this sort of thing (and just about any other item of skigear you could think of)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ordinary walking boots are fine for walking about on the snow at resorts, and can also be used for walking in. I use a pair of lightweight, slightly insulated, waterproof trekking boots which are also fine for non serious walking in the hills. Moon boots look pretty useless for anything, but I may be being unfair.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks both. I've had a look at Decathlon and although 45 mins. away I think we might go there tomorrow and have a look - the prices are certainly good!

Not sure if ordinary walking boots will do, we're planning lots of sledging and snow fights so will need something properly waterproof and warm!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Evap, I have probably done more sledging, snowball fights and snowman building than I have skiing - I have always used a good pair of waxed fully waterproof leather walking boots (the sort that come over the ankle), with a full leather integral tongue and have always had warm dry feet. I always dry them carefully at night and take the nixwax with me in case they look like needing another coat.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Megamum - I don't walk walking boots either rolling eyes so if we go to Decathlon tomorrow will have a good look at those as well

Thanks again
-Eva
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Decathlon, mid Jan, Saturday.......it'll be bl**dy mad in there !!!! Have fun ...
latest report
Evap, Just a note that of course moon boots may be a cheaper option - I've replaced my boots this year with a Karrimor pair meeting the above spec and IIRC paid around £65 for the privilage. Mind you I don't do walking boot walking in mine either, I just do lots of other stuff where a sturdy boot designed for walking is a good idea, for example, several hours round a hilly zoo, through the woods with the family, muddy car boot fields, the school run in nasty weather etc.
snow report
I know, I know ... not looking forward at all to the crowds!! Hopefully we'll find what we're looking for and can be in and out fairly quickly Little Angel

Although having said that, we might also take it as a training exercise (we are going to Les Houches during half term week in Feb after all Very Happy )
snow conditions
Can recommend the http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/. We just got two pairs of Moon Boots for the children. Their service/delivery is excellent.
ski holidays
Good evening all,

Just in case useful for anyone else, we went to Decathlon at the weekend and found quite nice snow boots (brand Quechua) for 7 pounds for the little one and around 14 for ours. They are completely waterproof and seem quite warm. We got lots of other stuff as well like fleeces, small day bags, even sunglasses... everything really good prices.

Just in case anybody out there is looking to but similar items... it wasn't that busy either (was expecting huge crowds but it was actually ok).
ski holidays
Quote, Why would anyone buy anything except Quechua, misheard as Why would anyone buy anything except ketchup. You pays your money...
snow report
Do they still make the original Tecnica Moon Boots? Only seen a load of fakes on ebay...
ski holidays
Evap wrote:

Just in case useful for anyone else, we went to Decathlon at the weekend and found quite nice snow boots (brand Quechua) for 7 pounds for the little one and around 14 for ours. They are completely waterproof and seem quite warm. We got lots of other stuff as well like fleeces, small day bags, even sunglasses... everything really good prices.

Thats the trouble with Decathlon, go in for one thing and spend a bleeding fortune. Have used them in France and Italy for ages and really like them. Most of our Ski clothes and Mrs Fridges horse stuff came from there. Our kids both have the Quecha boots and they are very good.

Are they expanding elsewhere in the UK now?

They get good competition from Go Sport in France as well, but when I was back home at New Year I walked in to a JJB and some other big sports shop and quickly walked out again.
snow report
Dior has some nice moonboots. Similarly, various versions re available quite regularly at Prada, D&G as well as Chanel. They may not be cheap, but... Style forgives everything.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy