Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which are the best UK snow-domes?

Poster: A snowHead
Any views out there regarding which are the best snow-domes in the UK (for a bit of fun between trips)?

I live near London and have been to Xcape @ MK a few times - which is OK, but any thoughts on any others?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chill Factor e in Manchester wink

However, if all you want to do is ski, just go to the closest which is currently MK.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think Castleford has better quality snow than MK. Haven't been to chill factor-e yet, or the one in Braehead to comment. I hope Tamworth is better than it used to be, or it would be last on the list.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The snow at Chill Factore is better than Castleford IMO as is the lighting.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not tried Chill Factore. Castleford is better than MK IMHO with Tamworth a poor third. Biggest problem at MK is the poma's which seem to be pretty unreliable.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
galleywoodman, MK can be both a variable and mixed experience, but if you go in the morning and avoid weekends and school holidays, you'll likely see the better conditions. Like WTFH I haven't been to Braehead or Chill, but I don't think anywhere other than MK (that's currently open) would be so much better as to be worth the extra travelling for you (except for a change or a fun trip away).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They all suck.

They are undersized and overpriced.

Go to Holland, where they have one of the world's biggest.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegold, you are stanton and I claim my £5!

Not that I disagree though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
so is this chill factor e any good then?

cant believe i havent realised until now that its there- its only down the road from me (well, 40mins away...)

thinking of taking the GF there for a taster session, see how she gets on.

worth going?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
papillion_rouge, It only opened in November, which could explain your lack of awareness of it Smile

There is a long thread on it in the "resorts" forum. Probably worth reading, but don't be put off by some of the earlier comments, as later ones suggest many of the teething problems are being overcome now.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The one Braehead, the uplift tracks have very little snow so you end up scraping along on astroturf type surface. Don't go with your own skis. I usually get bored after around half an hour.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cool. just seen a few pics and it looks ok. decent enough to brush up on your technique i guess for an hour or so anyway!

you are right Alex, its not been around long- i was actually more suprised i didnt realise about it because i work in the construction industry and the main contractor who built the place are one of our competitors!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
I think Castleford has better quality snow than MK. Haven't been to chill factor-e yet, or the one in Braehead to comment. I hope Tamworth is better than it used to be, or it would be last on the list.

They seem to have solved the ice on the slope issue now but I found it a bit boring as a result last time I skied there... slope not step enough and snow too predictable and easy - there's no pleasing some people you know! snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IMO Tamworth snow is much better than MK, but I've only been to MK once - it was a combination of ice with dendix poking through, and horrible porridgey snow cannon stuff. Tamworth can be icy but it hasn't been this season - it is much more like a real mountain piste than MK was. Tamworth is also wider than MK which is effectively split into 2 narrow slopes so if it's quiet you can do big carves there that you can't do at MK. It is also much, much cheaper than MK - in the summer I could ski all morning for £11.50 compared to £40 at MK. The disadvantage of Tamworth are the learners at the bottom and learner boarders just round the bend. It also doesn't have separate moguls runs etc. which would add more interest.

Haven't been to Cas or Manchester, so can't comment.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
docsquid, funny, I'd've said pretty much the opposite! I've been to Tamworth several times but not recently.
snow conditions
slikedges, the snow is much better this year than previous years at Tamworth. MK does have more "terrain" but I thought was outrageously expensive compared to Tamworth.
latest report
Rossfra8 wrote:
The one Braehead, the uplift tracks have very little snow so you end up scraping along on astroturf type surface. Don't go with your own skis. I usually get bored after around half an hour.

I often feel disappointed after visiting Braehead - it's a bit rubbish and doesn't seem to be well looked after. My brother in law reported, on his last visit there, that half the lights weren't working Sad

snowHead
snow conditions
I just wish there was one properly in the south somewhere; living in SW London even MK is a pretty serious trek Sad
ski holidays
PhilG, makes a change though for the south not to have something the north has got. Mind you, MK is south as far as I'm concerned wink
snow report
PhilG,

There will be at least one in the south in the next few years.
latest report
The best one starts being built on March 2nd. Toofy Grin
snow report
Spyderman, not a touch biased are we perhaps? Wink
ski holidays
Butterfly, We'll find out in March 2009 wink
snow report
Spyderman, where is the best one going to be?
latest report
alex_heney wrote:
papillion_rougeThere is a long thread on it in the "resorts" forum. Probably worth reading, but don't be put off by some of the earlier comments, as later ones suggest many of the teething problems are being overcome now.

Not so... I went 2 days ago and the teething problems were out in force. 6 runs down the slope in 90 minutes, with the rest of the time spent in various queues.
ski holidays
kewhoward, Hemel Hempstead
snow conditions
magic_hat, u must have been pulling your hair out.

I plan to go to Tamworth on a Wednesday morning in two weeks time - I reckon you've got to pick your time to go during the winter if you possibly can, and go during the "quiet" periods.
snow report
Spyderman, here was me hoping you were going to say Calne. Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tim Sawyer, Certainly was. 1 run in first 35 mins of slope time... I was furious - very close to spitting my dummy out of the pram and marching off to find management.
ski holidays
magic_hat, You should have done - if you don't give them feedback they can't make changes.
snow report
Tim Sawyer, let me know when you'll be there - I'll pop along for a bit of practice Wink
snow report
beanie1 wrote:
magic_hat, You should have done - if you don't give them feedback they can't make changes.

Aye, I wish I had. Either that or complained afterwards.

I've written to them - don't imagine that this will have much of an impact or possibly won't even get read by the right person, but there were a few things i noticed that seemed common sense (and easy) to sort out.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy