Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria

Poster: A snowHead
I know a liitle late but looking for space for 2 adults and 12 year old for a week at half term - 16 feb onwards - flights seem booked up but have wild idea of driving over and fancy a room in chalet and I know a lot of chalet owners are snowheads so any one with a room free over half term? Open to ski area as long as there is snow! Or perhaps someone could point me in direction of a website of ex pats privately owned places? Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you drive you don't need to stay in a chalet and pay the premium. You can choose any decent hotel or pension say within 20 miles radius from a resort or a group of resorts. Zell am See, Mayrhofen valley and Ski Welt have plenty of accommodations to offer. They are short distance from the German border and can be reached within a day's hard driving.

Mid term breaks in Austria are nothing like those in France too. French skiers' pride tends to make them stay within their country leaving other countries relatively uncongested.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sally s, it's not a wild idea at all, perfectly sensible, though the roads will be exceptionally busy. However, there are flights available at half term, albeit at a price and driving is not cheap - especially as you usually have to pay for an overnight stop. I agree with saikee that it's a good idea to avoid France at that time, You'll need to be flexible about accommodation with such a late booking - deals on the big sites like igluski.com are horribly costly at half term. If it proves difficult you could maybe think about Easter - will be far cheaper, and less crowded.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We just drove to/from Austria. 14 hours towing a caravan from Seefeld to the Eurotunnel, so without towing it would probably be a lot quicker
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sally s, we have space up to Tuesday 19th if missing school for a few days is an option. We are 45 mins from Salzburg straight down the A10 autobahn. Or you could try www.skiamade.com accommodation section and put in a request. Do it sooner rather than later as Feb is the busy time.

And yes - there is snow - since October, so no worries there. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
flangesax thank you but we are tied to school hols ( I teach) so has to be a 16th - 23rd slot - late booking as we have just come back from a week away and have decided we have to go again!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sally s, no worries - before we moved here the other half was a teacher, so I know what its like. You could try the accommodation section on www.skiamade.com fill in the request form and you will be sent offers. Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is French half term at the same time?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sally s, Have you considered a coach, I went last year half term, with Snowcoach, but choose the coach only option, they
stated they would drop us off in Soll. That done just filled out the accommondation request on http://www.wilderkaiser.info/
Got a lovely B&B in Soll, the place was fantastic.

The coach trip was very comfy, plenty of comfort stops for 5-10 minutes for fuel, someone told me to take your own pillow and that worked a treat.
Others had there own quilts and pillows.

The coach ran overnight so got in early to Soll dropped stuff off at B&B they even gave us breakfast, so skied the Saturday, then it left late the next Saturday so skied that day as well 8 days skiing in total, result.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sally s, We drove to/from Skiwelt in Tirol and the journey was 10hrs on the way and traffic was busy around the main cities,but was an enjoyable trip. Very Happy

MickKnipfler, I believe the french hols are approx 2nd week in feb to the 1st week in march. We never book france til after this.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We still have a family room available for 27 Euros per person per night. See www.austrian-alps.com
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Wizard......maybe leave France out then....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all - are looking at driving options now - mountain addict - we are looking at Altenmarkt for the skiiing options - and blytht - did you go to Soll last Feb half term - and was it not manically busy - we are put off by that although would consider Soll as been before so know where to go.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sally s, Due to the bad press of the snow last year Soll was fantastic, it was very quiet, the blue run through the trees down to the village was never open, but all the rest were, it was great. It was half term in London Fri 9th Feb - Sat 17th Feb (Unfortunately it would be one day out of school the Friday)

SnowCoach were superb and the place we stayed was here http://www.wilderkaiser.info/en/vermieter/anneliese-hans-feyersinger.html

The couple that owned the place spoke a little english, but the other guests translated most things.
The Taxi taking us to the pick up point for the coach (service station near Worgl). They were happy to take us in there car if we wanted. Also
she has a daughter that owns another place in Soll. A very family affair wink

An English couple were staying there and have done every year for sometime, the owners pick them up from the railway station at Worgl.

On the Saturday we left, they allowed us to leave our luggage in a room, that had a shower, which she left towels out for us to use.

If you have a map of Soll and get a accommodation quote you can see where they are.

http://www.digital-holidays.com/shared/img/resorts/Images/ResortImage/Austria/Soll/Soll_S_Map.jpg

Where it says the word "Dorf -bichl" The place we stayed was just below the "b" Laughing about 10 minutes walk to the nursery slope, also the ski bus stop was just outside.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sally s, Alternmarkt is a good choice - its the town next door to me. Alternmarkt and Radstadt share the same mountain for skiing, and just up the road is Zauchensee another excellent ski area. Plus there is sledging - a must for a good laugh. Very Happy
snow conditions
Hugh Jarse wrote:
We just drove to/from Austria. 14 hours towing a caravan from Seefeld to the Eurotunnel, so without towing it would probably be a lot quicker
and for all the people stuck behind you too wink
snow report
I have just got back from Altenmakt. Lovely town. Stayed at the Marketwirt Hotel which is 50m from the skibus which runs every 10mins to the skislope and to Zauchensee. Great Staff, lovely hotel, decent food. Also has a Pizza Restaurant if kids don't want the main food. Not much nightlife in the town but so what.

ps Don't listen to Flangsax ref Sledging- see my report from today in hotels and appartments in Austria Smile
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON, clearly you've never driven across Germany/Belgium/France otherwise you would know that you can't get stuck behind a caravan on the Autobahns. My speed was constrained mainly by the imposed 110kmh limit and the odd truck that was slower. Were you behind me? I suspect not!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy