Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rosiere 23rd - 30th December 2007

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Resort: La Rosiere

Domain: Espace San Bernardo

Dates: 23rd - 30th December 2007

Snow Conditions: 100cm Lower Slopes / 130cm Upper Slopes. There had been a massive dump 2 weeks prior to our arrival with 200cm at the top and 160cm at the bottom, but this had compacted to a very decent base for December skiing. Temperatures were typically -2 in the village throughout the day with lows of around -6 at 2600m.

Accommadation: We stayed in Le Mouflon with Tracks Vacations. This was our second trip to Le Mouflon and La Rosiere. The Chalet is down a steep hill from the slopes, however it is only about a 5 min walk to the main area. The ski bus stopped right outside the door and we never waited more than 2 mins for a bus. The most annoying thing about the bus being that the French insisted on standing at the door ways rather than taking a seat on the bus. The Chalet is cosy if a little old fashoned, however rooms are well decorated and warm. The dining area has stunning views across the valley to Arc 2000 and beyond. We didn't have an ensuite this year, although this was fine as there were toilets and great showers with plentiful hot water across the hall way. The chalet also has a jacussi bath and sauna. I am a bit of a plain eater, but the food was superb and Emma was more than willing to accommadate my fussy habits. We had a full Christmas dinner on Christmas night complete with Christmas Pud tasting competition.

The Skiing:

Day 1 (Christmas Eve)
We woke to sunny skies and no wind, headed up the 6 man Roches Noires Express from the village and skied to the Fort Chair, then up the first drag and towards Italy. From here Piste 26 took up to the bottom of Fourclaz. Then the very scenic Run 7 San Bernardo all the way to La Thuile. An excellent lunch in La Rascard and up The Bosco Express for an afternoon in the main bowl above La Thuile. Afterwards we headed for Le Belvedere before returning to La Ros for a few runs down Tetras.

Day 2 (Christmas Day)
Another day of sunny skies and light winds. Took the same route to Italy, but headed up the second drag and skied down to Arnouvaz via 18 Ponteilles. The red runs in this sector were immacuately groomed and completly empty and the scenery was stunning. From there a few trips up the Argillen Express before descending via La Nouva to La Thuile. A hop across the beginners drag and we were at La Rascard for lunch again. As it was Christmas day the owner insisted we had some grappa before leaving. Again up through the main bowl before returning to La Ros for a few runs.

Day 3 (Boxing Day)
We awoke to overcast skies, although the cloud base was still only touching the summit of Mt Blanc. Planned to go to Italy again, however as we headed down Belette towards the Fort Chair we became aware the light was very flat and it was very difficult to judge the terrain, so we abandoned Italy and headed across to Fontaine Froide and Ecudets. I expected a few more people to head for these tree lined runs, but they were empty and we had an excellent morning there with regular breaks in the little hut at the bottom (1176m). Snow was excellent down to this altitude and it even looked like Villard Dessus was open allowing skiing down to Seez (Although there is no lift back up). We had lunch in The Relais in La Ros and after a few pints decided to have an afternoon off from the skiing due to the poor light and headed to the Danois for a litre of wine and a few more pints where we met a fellow countryman. Then on to a new bar called Fusion run by Nev and Lucy, who gave up the big city life to set up in La Ros. One more in Le Pub and we headed down the icy road to the chalet where I managed to fall down the stairs.

Day 4
The sun was back today. Another trip to Italy, but this time we concentrated on the Fourclaz area before descending via Piste 7 to Le Riondet, a delightful mountain restuarant with real local food. Then down to La Thuile and back through the bowl for a few runs. Then down Marmottes below Les Eucherts before finishing the day on Tetras. The staff day off in Le Mouflon so we all headed to L' Anolie in Les Eucherts for a meal. I had snails and steak which was good, however several other members of our group were unhappy with the food and slow service, and the 5 year old of one of our fellow guests puked over the table, which didn't help things, although I had luckilly nipped to the loo at the time.

Day 5
More or less a copy of Christmas day with Lunch in La Rascard

Day 6
We decided to stay in La Ros for our final day and covered the whole resort and spent some time in the snow park. Snow conditions were still excellent despite the fast that the last dump had nearly been 3 weeks ago!!!

Summary of the skiing:

I had previously been in Jan 2007 and were rained out for half the week. This time conditions could not have been better and some more interesting runs were open. ie, Fontaine Froide, Ecudets, Marmottes, Ponteilles and San Bernardo. The 150km kept me busy all week although I did prefer the scenery and terrain on the Italian side.

Costs:

Chalet £310.00

Flights: £75.00 (incl skis)

Lift Pass: £117.00

Spending: £250.00

Total: £752.00 all in
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good report Johnboy and sounds like you had a good week.
Its been a few years since Iv'e been to La Ros but if i think about going again i will maybe check out that chalet you stayed in.
How long ago did you book your flights?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Memories... Smile

We enjoyed La Ros last year. Would think of going back next year, and most likely DIY at Le Mouflon. Kids will be 11, 8 & 7 at that point and hopefully up to all-day skiing with us.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnboy, nice report. The pistes were probably empty as people had all got on the bus to Les Arcs Wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ray Zorro wrote:
johnboy, nice report. The pistes were probably empty as people had all got on the bus to Les Arcs Wink

Nah, it's empty here as well.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rolling eyes
johnboy, nice report. Shame about the Ancolie.
Nouva is a great descent into LT But did you try any of the blacks into LT?
Glad it went well, cant wait.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
coolhandluke,

Flights with Easyjet direct from Belfast booked 3 weeks before departure.

Frosty the Snowman,

Yes, did all the blacks.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good report johnboy. Sounds like you had a great time. Brought back memories of Feb 07 for me.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had the pleasure of meeting johnboy and mrs johnboy for the first time and they were delighful. I have to say the week was probably the best start to a season for a decade, every run both in France and Italy were open, snow conditions were superb and despite all the new development at Les Echerts there weren't any significant queues. We did have a bit of a slow ride down the mountain on sunday, the RN90 hadn't been snowploughed and it had snowed right down to Albertville so this week looks just as good. What a start to the season.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David@traxvax,

Good to meet you and Linda too. I certainly have no hesitation recommending Le Mouflon and Tracks Vacations.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman,

Just spoke to our friend who was in La Ros last week, she gave it a huge thumbs up. She has skied all over and is very good skier, so was interested in what she thought. Very impressed with the resort itself and also the skiing available. If a deal became available she says she would be happy to go back again.

Have asked her to write a report I can post here
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thefatcontroller, I am ever so pleased. If she was happy then it would fair to assume they all did.
Sounds like you all have had a good time... RESULT
snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy