Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

hiring a car from geneva airport

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
What's the best option for hiring a car from Geneva Airport to get to Bourg St Maurice, would it be to go from the French side which is cheaper or from the Swiss side? Is it just as easy to get out from either way or is there a more preferable option?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pika1971,

Heres a good place to start. Lots of info, discount codes and answers to your questions. snowHead

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=24647&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pika1971, I think the Swiss side is the better option. Getting to and from the airport via the Swiss side is considerably more straightforward than the French side. Cars from the Swiss side, in my experience, always come with winter tyres and (nearly always) come with chains regardless of whether you pay extra for these items. I don't pay the supplements for winter equipment and my cars have always been winterised.

Try this link for discounted prices.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We always use Holiday Autos and regularly get good deals on the cars that we have. Up until this year I have been a staunch advocate of hiring in the French Sector because it is cheaper and the route through Geneva is not that bad, and I think a bit of sticking to what we know. If it aint broke, don't fix it kind of mentality Very Happy However, this season I am hiring from Swiss side after recommendations from many snowHead 's who say it is much easier. Not much more expensive and an easier navigation hopefully - less of a faff at the airport too flitting between the two countries!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:
Quote:

Try this link for discounted prices.

If you're a member of the Quidco cashback cooperative (see www.quidco.com for details), you can also get a £10 rebate per booking for Holiday Autos and it's possible to combine this with the VirginOne 15% discount link. Just type the VirginOne affiliate link into the address bar after entering the Holiday Autos site through the link on the Quidco site. You need to log in to Quidco first and it's also wise to clear your cookies before the transaction.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just to add, I have hired a car on the French side of Geneva, just because it was considerably cheaper.

The disadvantage is that to get to the French car hire desks you have to enter the French side of the airport after having cleared Swiss customs (it involves a ride in a lift to a different level, passport control and a bit of walking, right past the Swiss car hire desks IIRC), then on leaving the airport site you use an access road that delivers you onto French soil near Ferney-Voltaire, you must then re-enter Switzerland and cross Geneva (if you're heading to French resorts south of Geneva) via the lakeside and City Centre (nice views and little traffic early on a Saturday in March when we tried it). You can't use the Swiss motorway directly outside the airport that bypasses Geneva as French hire cars don't have the Swiss "vignette" windscreen tax sticker (I suppose you could buy one but this would negate the savings of renting on the French side).

So, you need to weigh up the savings (IMHO £20 wouldn't be worth it, but £50 might be) versus the disadvantages mentioned here (and in previous posts, the lack of winter equipment could prove decisive) and make your choice accordingly. Hope this helps.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
luigi, you don't have to clear Swiss customs to enter the French sector, just as you reach the Swiss passport control, turn left and follow the signs for the French sector. You clear passport control in the French sector which is quieter and much faster than the Swss side. Swissport will even collect your baggage and deliver it to you while you have a coffee. You also don't have to cross Swiss territory at all, from Ferney Voltaire you can stay in France all the way to BSM. BTW check-in at the French sector is faster as well, we've started to use the French sector this year as the Swiss authorities have imposed some serious restrictions on mini-buses at Geneva airport. IMO the lack of winter tyres isn't a problem if you're only going to BSM, the roads through Annecy and Albertville have never seen a large amount of snow and and in our experience they're always clear. You'll only need winter tyres if you're going past BSM to a mountain resort.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd support the view that the Swiss side is worth paying for - route finding is much easier and you get snow chains thrown in. If you hire from the French side then you really should pay the extra for the snow chains - in which case you may as well have gone swiss in the first place. We once got the cheaper deal in France, did not get chains ("Chamonix is only at 1000m, it's a good road") - won't be making that mistake again...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
luigi wrote:

If you're a member of the Quidco cashback cooperative (see www.quidco.com for details), you can also get a £10 rebate per booking for Holiday Autos

Brilliant! That could save up to £100 during the winter. Thanks for the tip Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Posted a similar thread on here and while ago, and thought I'd post a summary of the comments, but the people above pretty much have it covered.

France is cheaper but can be a nightmare to navigate in and out of that side of the airport (because you don't have the swiss car tax thing).
Snow chains are a legal requirement in Switzerland, so hire cars come with them already, in France they are a pricey extra.

I went with Holiday Autos, hiring from the Swiss side - mainly because i'm only going for a long weekend and every minute spent faffing around getting out of the french side of geneva airport is a minute less that i can be skiing!

I used the 20% discount code thing and got a pretty good price. Wasn't aware of the quidco thing Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David@traxvax wrote:
Quote:

you don't have to clear Swiss customs to enter the French sector

I stand corrected, we must have got lost in the maze not having done it before, sounds like you've got it sussed though.
Quote:

You also don't have to cross Swiss territory at all

Point taken, but we were headed up the Autoroute Blanche towards Chamonix, so the route that avoids Swiss soil is around 50km longer than crossing Geneva. I suppose if you're heading due south towards Annecy and all points beyond, there's less difference and you can avoid the traffic you might encounter around the city.

Or just get a Swiss car and shoot off down the motorway!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hello snowheads,

I just booked a car hire for Geneva airport (Swiss side) for the first week of February to go to Les Arcs. I used http://www.amigoautos.com/ as a broker, which seemed to be the cheapest option for the configuration we required (an estate compact car, e.g. a Ford Focus estate), and we got Sixt as the actual provider. I also tried the recommended holidayautos link but unfortunately for this particular week it's far from the cheapest.

My question is about winter tyres and snow-chains: as recommended in several threads here in these forums, I didn't pre-booked any of these items. Trying to avoid to pay for it, what I'm supposed to do ?
Just go the desk pick the keys and hope the car is equipped with it ?
Or should I mention it to the guys in the desk ? In this case, am I close to be asked to pay for it ?

As this is my first time Embarassed , could you give me any tips on that ?

Regards
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Carlos_L, As i understand it, winter tyres/ snow chains are a legal requirement in Switzerland so will be in all hire cars hired from the swiss side.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I hire cars from the Swiss side of Geneva quite a lot. I never pay extra for winter equipment. Every car I've hired has come with winter tyres, and every car except one has come with chains (and on that occasion I'm sure if I'd gone to the office in the garage and asked they would have given me a set). Don't think it is worth mentioning it at the desk when you collect the keys.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy