Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many Hours before re-waxing and edges ?

Poster: A snowHead
I dont know how to do this myself. How long ( skiing hours) do you have between rewax and edges being re-done ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Agenterre, I like your description - using days would give quite the wrong impression wink. I'm interested in the answer as when I go to Fernie I will have done 6 days on mine, but only about 15 hours really.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
holidayloverxx, My problem/challenge as well ..... Embarassed Looking forward to 2.5 hours average rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agenterre, If your not scraping the edges over rocks the base will start to turn grey from the outside to the in - the more grey the greater the need for waxing - It depends on how abrasive the snow is. When I'm skiing at home I normally service my skis after about 3 or 4 days skiing.
edit to give the answer in hours: 15 to 20 hours rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
II, Thanks ... and for the conversion wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
About an hour and a half in L2A in October I think... Wink
Something I'll need to get done for the first time meself soon.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My skis are just getting fresh wax to ski on now. I'm not anticipating any rocks in my itinerary (unless things go pear shaped wink ). I guess I ski lightly for 3-4 hours per day. Will the wax last for 6 days or will I need to get them redone whilst I'm in resort - the hire skis don't get a re-wax in this time? If not needed during the holiday should I get it done again after the holiday before VT?

I'm interested in this notion of the bases going 'grey' - how much of the base needs to go 'grey' before they need waxing?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I normally wax them the moment (or before!) i see 'gray' appear, as that means the edges are totally dry and exposed... But then i have my own waxing equipment

Megamum, With good wax your skis should last you that week easily. If I were you i'd get them serviced before the next holiday though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ronald, Thanks Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agenterre, Right. I am now a total expert on this having done it once! I did have a lesson from spyderjon, though, so irony modified slightly. You know we have just come back from an icy week at an obscure Swiss resort and we all set out with skis in perfect condition. Jon's were new; Bev's done by spyderjon, while showing me how to do it and mine done in the back yard by me. I was a little uncertain, but I felt my skis performed perfectly (well, considering they had me standing on them and interfering.)

I got the basic bare minimum of kit from the snowHeads ski guru which was 1. a short rubber strap to keep the brake out of the way. 2. An oxide file for rough bits or dents in the edges. 3. A gummi stone for less rough bits or rust. 4. a nice little edging tool which you can set to different angles. My skis were on 2 as they had been through a machine in a shop that apparently blasts everything to 2 regardless. To this kit I added a brush (combination of brass and nylon) and some wax from Decathlon. This I melted with a £4 iron from ASDA.

The process is dead easy and carried out with the help of an old Workmate and an extension lead into the garden as management will not like wax melted in the kitchen. The edging was topped up a couple of times during the week, but the waxing lasted all week. I will be getting all the skis out for a look at the edges and probably a wax will be required now. It doesn't seem to matter if you put too much wax on as it all gets worn off pretty well immediately you start skiing.

I am sure all this is well within your capabilities, and judging by the amount of skiing you mean to get in, I think you should get started. It really is dead easy.

snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, Put a good layer of wax on when you get back for "storage" purposes. It comes off in no time at MK!

snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chris Bish, I have "Zoom dominator" universal wax from spyderjon, and i was very lazy yesterday so didn't scrape it assuming the excess would come off in a run or 2.... The centres of my skis still have excess after a whole day !

This opposed to the club med wax who don't scrape any ski they service.... it comes off in 1 run...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As far as I can see, the idea is to get the bases warm enough to soak up the wax (a bit like soldering!) and not put too much on. Ronald, You must have been on your edges all the time! wink

snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agenterre, It depends on many factors.

In Tignes over Crimbo 06 my skis needed de-burring/edging every day due to the lack of snow & what there was was very hard. Bases were well prepped beforehand but only lasted 3 days on the old crystalline snow, a lot of which was man made.

This Crimbo in Courchevel the piste conditions were perfect & I only had a couple of minor burrs to remove all week & they were from minor off-piste rock hits. Bases were again well prepped prior to leaving but easily went 6 full days.

A regular DIY hot wax with a good wide temp range uni wax will usually go 4-5 days - longer if a base prep wax is used or if the skis have had multiple waxes.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 1-01-08 22:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've had the Spyderjon treatment too, and quite enjoy waxing and faffing with the skis, unless it's too freezing cold outside. But it has to be said that you can get too worked up about all this, at less than expert level. My charming French neighbour, who has been skiing since knee high to a cigale and is pretty nifty on her skis, watched me with interest as I set up the Workmate, the rubber things, the bungies which hold the skis in place, the old iron, etc etc. "Do you 'af to do zat aivery yair?" she asked.
ski holidays
Chris Bish, Correct, Correct, and finally... almost Correct (I did do the track back down from Wixi-piste to top of bumbs lift) Wink
latest report
pam w, Laughing Laughing

Well, exactly! let's not too obssessive about this eh?

snowHead
snow report
Thanks All for the comprehensive responses ... looks like I need to find my registration to Jon's site as well ....
snow report
Agenterre, Megamum, I would get skis serviced according to their state. This will normally be in resort then but ski shops do it overnight.

Waxing your own skis is very quick. Maybe I am doing it wrong but for me the time consuming and messy part is the scrape so I don't bother any more (more to avoid the mess). Just waxing a pair of skis takes less than 5 minutes.

For more discussion on the merits of the scrape
latest report
pam w, do you have any special vice to hold skis on your workmate?

For doing side edges I got this gizmo. It comes with the brake bands, a sidewall planer and a double sided file/diamond stone

I get the feeling that everybody who does a season hire here never get there skis serviced during the year.
latest report
So how do these bottles of wax compare then like Toko express wax that I bought fron S & R? Any good? Puzzled
snow conditions
nessy, no, we were too mean to buy the special vice. My husband put together a system to clamp onto the Workmate, which is very effective but does involve a certain amount of faffing round with bungee cords!
snow conditions
Also I have some 'hard' waxes made by Swix. How do I get them into a melted state from the pack and onto the ski. Do you heat the ski base Shocked Shocked Shocked or the wax a nd pur then smooth it on. I'm a bit thick see Blush Blush Blush Laughing
latest report
Madders, that's what the iron is for - you melt the wax and drip it onto the base (can also "crayon" on the wax a bit to start with). You will then have lots of little drops of wax, solidified on the base. Then gently over with an iron, spreading it all out. Or you could go and spend a morning with Spyderjon - I found it very difficult to envisage - needed to see it done.
snow report
Ah, crayon it on, that makes sense. I'd love to spend a morning with SJ but he's too far away. May have to get his DVD though wink
ski holidays
Has anyone tried one of these deburr devices?
http://apoerner.com/index.htm

Currently I have no tools & thought this looked like a good one to start with?
snow report
runner wrote:
Has anyone tried one of these deburr devices?
http://apoerner.com/index.htm
Currently I have no tools & thought this looked like a good one to start with?

I've just posted a seperate thread on the Burrbuster tool.
ski holidays
So does anyone have an opinion on the Toko liquid wax as bought in S & R ? Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another disciple of spyderjon, here snowHead I take the mini edge trick tool, a stone and some Zardoz with me. Give the deges a once over every morning and re-zardoz the bases. I then give the skis a hot wax scrape, edge tune and re-wax when I get back so basically one service per weeks skiing. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
AxsMan, That soounds a bit like the route I'm going down - I'm trying the little pot of Zardoz and the edge trick to keep give me a bit a of self suffiency whilst I'm away, and then when I return after a week away I'm going to chuck them at the local ski shop for a wax (folks here and you suggest this is sufficient) - same routine just that I'm not going to wax them myself - for £6 and a shop 6 miles away its hardly worth the bother of setting every thing up to do one set of skis twice a year.
latest report
Megamum wrote:
......for £6 and a shop 6 miles away its hardly worth the bother of setting every thing up to do one set of skis twice a year.

Agreed
snow report
Megamum, Can't fault your logic. (Between us we have four sets that get used 3 or 4 weeks a year, plus two snowboards so the economics stack up a bit differently Madeye-Smiley )
snow report
I hot wax and edge tune my own skis too (yet again thanks to spyderjon's help). My holidays are normally over 2 weeks solid, so I take most of the kit along with me. As already mentioned, how long wax and edges last is more down to snow conditions, skier weight, skiing style etc, rather than number of hours. But I usually re-wax after about a week (30 hours) of skiing and tune the edges every 3-4 days depending on conditions. On my last trip I suffered a fair bit of edge damage from off-piste rock strikes, but the wax lasted forever.

Shop machine tuning is not generally good for prolonged ski life and I don't trust most places to do a good job. They often leave edge burrs, unscraped wax etc and machine to random edge angles. I'd rather do it myself or get an expert like spyderjon to hand prep them. It's not a difficult job if you have the right tools, but it can be quite messy and time consuming, especially when it's eating into your Apres ski time!

I'd also say waxing and tuning is far more important if you're skiing mainly on groomed pistes, especially icey hardpack. When there's 2 feet of fresh powder, it makes little difference Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy